Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who's got a CDL?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ryan22re, Mar 3, 2006.

1. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

bossman says i need to get a cdl. only thing ill be driving will be test trucks, no trailer, just tandem axles and air brakes. maybe a load on the bed 6k-10000k (if we ever get a bed for the ugly f-er). plus its an automatic.:D

been poking around, but im unsure. can i pass the state test without going to take the class? what do you take the test in? know it varies state to state, but it has to be similar.

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

There's a CDL class? Haha, man, you need a book for the CDL from the DMV and then you go take your written test for the permit. Then you need to go to a place to take the test then you get the license. You need a B CDL if you aren't pulling trailers. I have a B CDL for driving bobtail Class 8 tractors on test drives at work.

Read up on things for the air brake endorsement and make sure you tell the DMV you want the endorsement test when you go to take it. They are seperate tests : CDL and air brakes.

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

what do you take the test in?

something similar to what you will be driving?

ask me to back up a 50 foot plus trailer to a loading dock and im out.

4. 89GMCSuburban

You take it in something similar, so I took mine in an FL80 single axle with air brakes and an auto. It doesn't specify types of transmissions or number of axles, so as long as you take one in a straight truck with no trailer with air brakes....it will apply for a B CDL. If you were trying for an A CDL, then yes, you'd have to back a 53 footer to a dock and things like that.

5. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I got lucky when I took mine I took the written class A and driving class B and they gave me a class A.:D

6. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Its not too hard though really. You can take all the written tests you want at once such as your combination vehicle, air brake, double and triples, hazmat (some serious regs there though), etc. Then schedule a time to take your skills test. I took mine in a 91 Freightliner with a 44' flatbed. Had to do a pre-trip, alley dock, make a right hand turn and get as close to the cone w/o hitting it, pull up to a cone and get as close w/o hitting, stuff like that then go out and make a quick loop around town. Biggest thing is to alway keep talking on the pre-trip insp. I just told him everything I was looking at and once I finished at the engine he said I knew what I was talking about and I didn't need to show him the rest of the truck for the test, made it easier/ quicker for me.

7. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

When I took mine class A test it was in a Peterbuilt with a 52 foot trailer. I had to do a "pre-trip" which consisted of sitting in the driver seat and turning on flashers and hitting the brakes while the inspector checked to make sure all lights were working. Then we drove a preplanned route through minor traffic areas and on a deserted street I had to do about 100 ft of strait backing and then paralell park the truck and drive back to the DPS station. My class B was exactly the same. BTW the endorsement test were taken at the same time I took the test for the learner's permit and it was all done on computer, no big deal really. And you have to bring the vehicle to drive so if this is for work you would have to have a licensed operator with you and use a truck from your work.

8. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I dont know if its the same everywhere but according to my roommate who drives shuttle buses for the school, if you have a class B (which he does) you are only allowed to have a .04 BAC. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

9. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

One of our truck drivers at work said its true about the .04 BAC but its only when you are driving a class B or A truck.

10. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

There are variances from state to state on what is required to obtain your CDL. All I did was get the book and take the written tests (combination, air brakes, doubles/triples, tank and the beloved HazMat). Upon passing it/those (depending how many you need to take) you will get an instructional permit. At that point you can drive the truck with a CDL holder and learn the finer arts of that vehicle. You can take it down to the DMV for your driving test. I walked in cold to a 3rd party test facility (pay your money, drive their truck, pass, then take you paperwork back to DMV for your actual license), took their test and passed, with no practice or anything.
    While you are at it, I would recommend you get a tank endorsement and a double/triple endorsment as they are easy tests(!!), only cost a few bucks more to take, they aren't part of the driving test, but when you are done you will have them. That way, if you go elsewhere to get a job, it will look better on the application and possibly get you a few more bucks.

11. 89GMCSuburban

That and a new CO law(check your state laws) applies regular traffic tickets to your CDL. So the 3 ticket thing applies with both regular and CDL tickets before it is revoked.

12. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info guys.

been real helpful.

13. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That is the same here in AZ as well as no more traffic school to get rid of tickets whether it is private or commercial vehicle. You get a ticket, you pay, goes on record. D'oh!!

14. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

Thats a federal law not a state law on the tickets. And remember campers if you travel, that not all states have the same definition on violations from one state to the next. Driving without due care gets translated into careless driving...ask me how I know......:mad:
    California considers an improper lane change a serious offense, bring one of those home to cali and your life will suck.
    Before I forget, if you have a CDL, all tickets and accidents must be reported to both your home state and employer in less than 30 days, no matter what you were driving or where you were at.
    George

15. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Rule # 1; CDL = Can't Drive Legally
    Get all the endorsements, including hazmat and tanker; the oil companies in the patch near here will pay up to $21 per hour straight time (all the hours you want) for drivers who can pass a drug test. Just something to consider as a backup if one falls on tough times.
    Jimbo

16. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

I've got a Class A....got it when I was 18 (in a centipede). I figure I'll fall back on it one of these days.

17. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I got mine with doubles triples hazmat tanker. what fun, not!