Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who's got a lifted OBS crew cab??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by b454rat, Aug 2, 2006.

1. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm trying to decide what front springs to get for my 97 when I do the SAS. My truck weighs aboot 6500#, so thinking a heavy duty spring may be in order. I'm looking for 4", and was thinking of TCs, but I know they are soft, and will settle to next to nothing in no time. My 89 is still heavy, and with unknown front springs, of which I think are HDs as well, settled over an inch. This is for a d/d, so I don't need to flex the tire over the hood, but looking for a decent spring, that won't settle to a negative arch, without costing an arm and a leg......

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

PM willyswanter and ask him what he used when his was leaves. His was a 97 I believe.

3. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

You might also check over in the diesel forum; there's a few guys running cummins conversions, and they had to use beefier springs.
    Jimbo

4. Cajun4x4

Cajun4x4 1/2 ton status

jason had 8" BDS springs with pulled leaves IIRC

5. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

cant really help you because I dont have a "late" model crew cab but I do have a '86, and at 6500# they are very close in weight. I had some procomp 4" springs off of my blazer and I stuck them under my crew cab. They are considerably softer feeling but still ride pretty stiff. I wouldnt mind a little bit softer ride, but since I plan on towing with the crew cab I dont mind the springs being a little heavy up front. I havent wheeled my crew cab, but I have driven it through some little washouts and through some areas while out riding, and I can tell that with the heavy weight of the crew cab that it can easily flex through springs. You could look into some TC 6" HD ez rides for real good flex, or get a set of skyjackers. The TC will probably settle an inch or so and still be pretty flexy under that truck. Im making my guesstimations going by what Im reading in the spring rate table here. http://coloradok5.com/springratetable.shtml

6. b454rat

Jason had 8" BDS with some leaves removed. I'm only looking for a total of 6" or so. Was thinking about the TCs, but wanted some opinions on other possibilies. Debating on trying to sell the truck again, the Tahoe I looked at a month ago is still for sale.

7. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My springs were 4" of lift after the 2 leaves were removed, road nice too.

8. b454rat

Hmm, have to keep that in mind. I found one set of DS springs, now just need to find another set.