Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whos got a Tranny cooler?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76_Cheyenne, Feb 26, 2002.

1. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

I've heard from some people that a Transmision cooler is very important if you offroad. Who's got one, and where did they get it? I saw some nice ones on JC whitney. Any suggestions?
    Thanx

Cowboy Up!

2. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

I have a TH350 and run two coolers. One is in the radiator and I also have an external cooler that hangs in front of the A/C Condensor. Very important for those hot days when you are climbing alot of rocks at idle. Got my external from Summit.

David

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.extremeblazer.com>ExtremeBlazer</a>

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i've heard they help too, i don't know because i've never been without one. i have one but it was on there when we bought the suburban 9yrs ago. i think it's stock on my sub but it probably wouldn't be on a K5. yeah, jc whitney has em or you can get em from a performance shop but jc whitney would be cheaper most likely.

--Scott, 1989 GMC Suburban 2500 4" lift, 36" TSLs
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub>http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub</a>

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Whatever brand of cooler you decide on, make sure you buy a stacked-plate design as opposed to the old aluminum tube-fin design. The stacked plate coolers are tougher and more efficient.

B&amp;M and Long Inc. make good coolers, BTW.

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

5. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

IF YOU HAVE AN AUTO. A COOLER IS A MUST. I RUN MINE INTO THE COOLER THEN INTO THE RAD. COOLER. THE EXTRA COOLER HAS A FAN ON IT JUST IN CASE THINGS GET WARM ON THE TRAIL. MAKE SURE THE COOLER YOU GET IS NOT JUST A TUBE COOLER BECAUSE ALL THAT IS, IS A PIPE EXT. THAT WONT COOL ANYTHING.

I'AM NOT YELLING I JUST HATE THAT DAMM SHIFT BUTTON

6. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Added one to my 91 sub 1/2 ton (think they only came with 3/4 or towing package) as it's pulling a large travel trailer now. Will find out more this season.
    It's purpose is to cool the fluid and keep the juice in the optimum performance range for the tranny. Too hot, it breaks down and substantially shortens the tranny life.
    They did mention you can go too far on cooling as well, esp in the northern climates (like here in Wisconsin!). Running a cold-front on mine, it hasn;t been a problem (that I know of yet).
    Adding a gauge on it in a couple weeks as well to INSURE it's in the 'safe zone'. Figure it's cheap insurance! Last tranny was $1700.

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I run2 coolers as well. I run a external aftermarket cooler and the radiator cooler in that order. I am on my 3rd 700R-4 so I figured this mod couldn't hurt. One thing I did notice when I added, my external cooler is that in the hot AZ summers, my truck had more power over long trips. I guess it is because the tranny is cooler, and it transfers more power when it was cooler.

Scenario:
    I would be going to my hunting spot in the Mtns, and I had a long hillclimb up a steep grade on the highway. Before the cooler was on there I would get to the top of the hill, and my truck would loose power for passing. Once I put the cooler on there it didn't loose the power once I got to the top of the hill. If that makes sense to you.

Also it is important for offroading too, because you are idleing around all day and the tranny cooler in the radiator is getting very little air flow, and it has problems cooling the tranny. With the other external cooler on there it has a better chance to cool and not burn up your tranny. A trannys number one enemy (especially 700R-4's) is heat.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

8. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys for the input. I'll look around and use your advice when looking.

Cowboy Up!