Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who's got propane

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SCOOBYDANNN, Mar 21, 2006.

1. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

What are your opinions on it. My q-jet is fine for some ledges, F-I is too complicated (computer,sensors, me not knowing how to make it run etc...)

saw a couple guys at the Chile Challange using it and did some research. Its used ALL over mexico, its a little over half the price of gas, it's basicaly bolt on, does nothing to the engine except make it last longer and run cleaner.

I don't want any old wives tales of propane, i want people that use it.

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

it would be great on a trail rig, preferably one that doesnt travel too far, as you'll need a huge tank (60 gallons or bigger) to go any appreciable distance. but, you will enjoy the benefit of longer oil life (burns clean), higher octane rating (somewhere around 100 or so), and a smooth running engine. maybe where you are there are more propane filling stations, but around here there arent many.

good luck with the swap if you go ahead with it, and let us know how it works out for you.

3. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Works fine on my one ton gas mileage isn't any better for me though. Most dual fuel setups like mine are that way. If you run Propane only it seems to be better. My tank is 100 gallons so I can go a long time without filling up. There are a few who run it on the board.

4. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

Gotpropane.com has a full kit.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The dude who runs gotpropane.com runs that white Yota all over the AZ rocks and may be one of the rigs you saw at Chile Challenge who runs propane. I have never personally wheeled with him but everything I have ever seen on him says it works very well.

Harley

6. SCOOBYDANNN

Yea, they were one of the guys i saw in cruses, problem is their kit is $1000. i can get it for a LOT less.

7. steve_kibbe

Where and how can you get it for less?

8. kgblazerfive

E-bay and another $2000 or so and you can have my whole truck. I have heard of people finding them on trucks in the junk yard before.

9. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

I run it on my '80, have for years. works great. You might be ablt to see the tank in my side pic, 410 Liter tank, 350, 425 Impco mixer, Impco vaporiser and lock-off as well. I used to daily drive this truck, would run about a month on a tank. To and from work, errands, weekend screwing around. You can find the parts around here, just about anywhere. Personally I have extra 3 mixers, and 2 vaporizers. Propane (LPG -liquid petroleum gas) is rated 110 octane.

If I had to switch to something else, I would ONLY go to a turbo diesel off-road.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  10. SCOOBYDANNN

demon--how much did that tank run you. i think id rather have that type than the 2 forklift tanks

Steve--I ran across a place in Mexico that does it, working on a deal through him.

11. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

I got this tank for free. But around here you can hit a wrecker for a pickup truck fullsize tank for anywhere between $100-$500CAD depending on size and current shape. Theres lots of them around here different shapes and capacities. Personally I'd never even consider forklift tanks. Mines 110 gallons.

12. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Propane is one of the best mods you can do.
    Everyone in our little group runs it. it will run PERFECT at ANY angle, believe me we have tested it:D
    I have about $250 into the actual propane stuff. Then another 200 in tanks and brackets.
    I run 2 43.5lb forklift tanks which hold about 8-9 gallons each.
    With propane you need 1 wire and 1 vaccum hose, thats it, its SUPER simple to hook up.
    We have a writeup on the site in my sig but you have to joint to see it, its free to join though.
    http://www.austink5.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=712

13. steve_kibbe

Thanks for the link. I'm going to seriously consider this for my blazer.

14. SCOOBYDANNN

mudblazin-right now i am debating the BIG back of the truck tanks or two little one like you--how long will those tanks last you and since you are fairly close to me how mush is a "gallon" of propane going for.

ps. i registered to your site but it hasn't sent me an email back.

15. kgblazerfive

I paid $1.60 a gal last week for it here, my one ton gets 6 miles to the gallon on propane and 6 miles on gas

16. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

The 2 tanks will last me a full 3 days of hard wheelin, I get about the same MPG as with gas.
    As for the price I payed about $20 to fill each of my tanks. That was high for what is normal I just didnt have time to shop around. Next time ill shop around and find under $2 a gallon. The place I went to just charged by how big your tank was. Example my tanks are 43.5lber's and they charged me for a 40lb tank since 43.5 is a odd ball size.

17. steve_kibbe

I like when they weight it out better, but I know thats not always possable.

18. nova

nova 1/2 ton status

Propane sounds great. I have been thinking about it for about 2 years now. The only thing holding me back is where to find fill stations. Here in az. I know of a couple but when I move to tn. I'm not sure of any.

19. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

From this thread
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135905

Jas