Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who's got the biggest, baddest system???

Discussion in 'Audio' started by rjfguitar, Jan 9, 2004.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Who\'s got the biggest, baddest system???

Like the title said...
    I'm running... 5.25" JL audio 2 way speakers down in the kick panel
    6.5" JL audio 2 way speakers behind the front seats in the side panels about a foot below the ash trays.
    panisonic bla bla D401 head unit with changer controls,mosfet power(don't use it though) and blue screen.
    custom down firing box with (3) JL audio 10W3V2 subwoofers.
    Arc audio 4050 4 channel amplifier with 4x90 watts.
    Arc audio 2500 2 channel amp bridged for 1,050 watts at a 2.7 ohm load.
    Strike capacitor awaiting install.

The only guy that I think has me beat is Greg 72 but I am more curious how many serious systems are out there in early chevys. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Re: Who\'s got the biggest, baddest system???

How are the Arc Audio amps working for you? I thought I heard once that they overheat real easy. I am about to start stereo planning in my K5.

3. rebel102285

rebel102285 Registered Member

Kenwood Excelon X869
    two kicker 693 6x9's in rear panels and one in the bottom of each door. two kicker 4 1/2" dash speakers one 4x10 kicker center channel. Two polk Dx12's And 1 Polk Momo 12 in a sealed box with a kicker Dx350 run at just under 1 ohm mono. Kicker IX302 running the 6x9's in the doors. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. rebel102285

Kenwood Excelon X869
    two kicker 693 6x9's in rear panels and one in the bottom of each door. two kicker 4 1/2" dash speakers one 4x10 kicker center channel. Two polk Dx12's And 1 Polk Momo 12 in a sealed box with a kicker Dx350 run at just under 1 ohm mono. Kicker IX302 running the 6x9's in the doors. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Kenwood Excelon X869

[/ QUOTE ]SO how much power are you running total? Why so much highs?

6. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    How are the Arc Audio amps working for you? I thought I heard once that they overheat real easy. I am about to start stereo planning in my K5.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Great, I love them. My 4050 arc powering my highs are crystal clear and friggin' loud as hell and the 2500 arc powering my 3 10's shakes the sh!t out of everything and has found every loose bolt or braket on my truck that will vibrate and make noise. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif With the bass hitting hard at full power... I can't see strait when inside because everything looks like a blure. Now thats bass. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    My big amp(both are the CXL series) runs a little warm because the amp is rated for 1,050 watts at 4 ohms and I have the subs wired at a 2.67 ohm load so it is a little tough on the amp but it handles it ok. The XXK series are the same amps as the CXL series but just with a redesigned housing for better heat displacement.

7. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

well mine is a part time system, i remove the subs when i offroad, but its as follows

pioneer premier 740 MP3 cd player with dual 4 volt pre outs
    generic amp (vibe i think)4x200 for mids
    ESXq 4751 sub amp 475 amps at 4 ohms, 8 something at 2 and 1000 ish at 1 ohm
    2 JL 12's in bandpass getting 800+ watts
    2 sets of crystal 6.5 inch componant sets, kick panels up front and in rear near driver seats.

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have a twin post tape deck in the dash and one 6x9 in the passanger side door. If you crank it up all the way and put your ear to the speaker you can actually hear it as long as the truck isn't running /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'll take my prize in cash if you don't mind /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a twin post tape deck in the dash and one 6x9 in the passanger side door. If you crank it up all the way and put your ear to the speaker you can actually hear it as long as the truck isn't running /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'll take my prize in cash if you don't mind /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My plans are for;(Have) JVC KD-LX50 Head Unit. MMATS d200 amp for subs. (Need to get) 2 sets of these a good 4 channel amp for them. and ofcorse 3 12" of these bad boys. [​IMG]

11. rebel102285

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Kenwood Excelon X869

[/ QUOTE ]SO how much power are you running total? Why so much highs?

[/ QUOTE ]

well total watts would be right at 1080 rms as for the highs the kicker 6x9's sound awesome they have great midrange and even if i didnt have subs in the jimmy id be happy with just those 6x9's

12. i8yrsuv

i8yrsuv 1/2 ton status

Well, What I have left over from my 85 c30 utility truck is ...; Hifonics Zeus 550 watt amp,Hifonics Thor 200 watt amp ,Hifonics Odin 150 watt amp, sony cd controller deck ,sony 12 disk changer ,4-12" jbl woofers ,5.5 mb quart midrange speakers 1" titainum tweeters ,mb quart passive crossovers .Its great to have $3000.00 of stereo stuff laving around to put in another car !!
    The blaze is an awesome place for a high end system ,great room ,great chance for proper placement !!! I picked all of my speakers out with my ears !! I believe that you can have the wrong speakers or to little or way to many ones ,so the sound is over empized.
    Lets start with the woofers !!My brother had a king cab truck that 2-12" woofers in it.The sound reminded me of a home system 'cause you could hear the bass start out slowly and continue to a warm glow .It was cool ,he liked it ,you feel you hair move ..The sad thing about the 12" woofers was They needed a BIG box and that they took ALOT of power to produce sounds that you couldnt hear in side the truck !![It took distance for the sound to develop] My solution was 10" woofers and it took 4 of them to come close to the 12" that I liked so much !! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifThe 10" could be mounted in alot smaller boxes and were a lot faster speaker .They played the sounds and were on to the next sound !!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    My big amp is brigeable to 900 watts ,I have tried it and really didnt notice much of a differene then running it in stereo.I believe cause that my woofers were already driven with enought power..With them bridged I really missed the stereo from them .YES, people say base is non stereo ...BS !!! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gifMaybe if it is sub base !!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    I will be mounting my woofers in the side panels in MDF wood and carpeting it over AND YES STEREO BASS FOR ME !!!!I will be painting underincoating &insulating the box with 1" fiberglass insulation and putting a divder BETWEEN the 2 speakers on one side .Air tight chamber is the best !!!
    The front 5.5 mids I picked for clarity and didnt want much bass from them ,so that is why for the size.I will be putting them in the doors [ using the whole door to help the sound develop]and using a small rain sheild over the top half to keep them dry !!
    The tweeters will be mounted close to the midrange speakers,about 16" away ,towards the dash ,infront the window stwiches.I have tried to place them different locations ...If I got them too far away from the mids, they sounded separate and didnt flow with them .If they were too close to the mids,the mids would drown them out and they woul lose there brillentz . You can take some tape and move them around to hear where they sound the best .If you push them foward you make the distance more equal to the distance to passengers side [I know its not perfect]. I have seen them mounted facing the dash [they were loud as heck and were sloppy too] and seen 'em mounted in the air ducts facind the peoples [cool idea]..
    The amps will be going stacked under the seat on spaced standoffs with a fan to cool them in sunny Cali.I will be making expanded metal grills that will be attached [welded]to the seat base with the base bolts welded under the truck .I HATE THEIVES /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    I think the 12 disk will be like the amps under the other seat with the crossover .I LOVE electronic crossovers ,maybe I will be getting a Audiocontrol EQ/crossover as a gift to me !!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifThe head unit will go in the dash..
    I will be running dual batts w/aside of a isolater and a knife stw to jump start itself .The big ZEUS 550w bass amp will be to the isolated batt and have #6 guage to it. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    This will be the 3rd big stereo sys I have built with my amps.I Have won a first place in a Petaluma,and 3rd in San Jose a few[lifetime] years ago.I dont claim to be an expert ,I just love music!!..,but I hope this helps a few people !!

13. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Well, for now i have a Panasonic 983U head unit, JL XR 650 3-way components in the front stage, Kicker 3-way 6x9's in the side panels behind the seats in the side panels, and a JL 13w7 in a ProWedge sealed box for bass. Got a Zapco Reference 360 for the front stage, and Zapco 1100M for the sub. Also got 2 VooDoo 1farad caps in there somewhere as well. Sounds pretty good.

14. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, for now i have a Panasonic 983U head unit, JL XR 650 3-way components in the front stage, Kicker 3-way 6x9's in the side panels behind the seats in the side panels, and a JL 13w7 in a ProWedge sealed box for bass. Got a Zapco Reference 360 for the front stage, and Zapco 1100M for the sub. Also got 2 VooDoo 1farad caps in there somewhere as well. Sounds pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]
    All right! another JL audio guy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

After today I may be up there.
    Pioneer TS-A6970R CD deck
    2- Pioneer 6x9's @ 260w in the rear panels
    2- Pioneer 6x9's @ 320w in the doors
    2- Rockford Fosgate Punch 200ix @ 200w per channel for 6x9's
    2- Kicker Comp VR's 12" in a downfiring enclosure,
    1- Rockfor Fosgate Power 1000bd @ 1000w bridged powering the subs.
    1- Monster Power 1.0 farad cap.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Currently building a custom enclosure for 4 Kickers, downfiring, covering the enclosure with diamond plate simulating a tool box since the speakers will be facing down.. Probably add another 1000bd amp if need be since its just sitting here in my garage. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

16. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

Currently building a custom enclosure for 4 Kickers, downfiring, covering the enclosure with diamond plate simulating a tool box since the speakers will be facing down.. Probably add another 1000bd amp if need be since its just sitting here in my garage. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Rockford huh...you must like it loud and dirty. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Rockford was the best in the 80's but lately they have gone cheap and I just haven't been impressed with their stuff.

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Rockford huh...you must like it loud and dirty. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Rockford was the best in the 80's but lately they have gone cheap and I just haven't been impressed with their stuff.

[/ QUOTE ] I agree, Rockford Fosgate isn't what it used to be. For amps of today I like name brands like MMATS, Soundstream, Digital Design, Orion, and US Amps to name just a few.

18. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

I used to think the same about RF til I went into a stereo shop in Chandler AZ, I was running a Zapcco and 2 JLw7's in 12" and got into it with the chinese guy that does the installs there. We ended up stripping the system off my K5 and he went in and put in the RF/Kicker combo and he told me to be honest, drive it and pound the crap out of it and come back in a week and tell him how I felt.
    Came back a week later and offered to pay for the stuff and told him I was impressed with the performance, He ended up giving it to me for free and threw in an extra amp and 2 subs in their boxes just to shut me up. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif..
    This reminds me..........Zapco amp and 2 JLw7 subs for sale!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

[/ QUOTE ] I agree, Rockford Fosgate isn't what it used to be. For amps of today I like name brands like MMATS, Soundstream, Digital Design, Orion, and US Amps to name just a few.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've used MMATS and Orion amps before, Orion has since sold out to MTX, they have a plant here in Phoenix but htey dont even assemble the stuff here anymore, they sub it out overseas, MMATS is good stuff It just didn't do it for me. I like that earth rumbling bass and was getting that with JL but for some reason the Kicker Comp vr's get me that and then some, even tried the Kickers with the Zapco amp and there was no contest with the RF 1000bd..

20. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

Aiwa cd player that is 5 years old, can't listen to a cd unless you are sitting still it skips so bad.

I have a pair of KLH indoor/outdoor speakers laying in my half doors.

I have a 10" pioneer woofer from a home speaker box, that is about 10 years old.

My junk is bangin'. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif