Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who's got them?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5_beater, Nov 18, 2002.

1. k5_beater

k5_beater Registered Member

who\'s got them?

Custom roof racks. i am thinking of building one up and could use some ideas and pics if you got any. thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Re: who\'s got them?

I've been thinking about doing the same thing, but I'd like to see more pics of how they are mounted as to deal with not having them leak.

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

the stock rack on my sub was drilled right into the roof and had rubber gaskets for the leakin prob. it never leaked. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

If you happen to see a burb with a roof rack and no headliner in it, see if you can take a few pics of it would ya?

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Head to the tractor supply store (maybe the hardware store). I mounted up a ladder rack on my work van and was concerned about leaks too (since I was dealing with a new van and electronics). The tractor supply store had these rubber gaskets that had brass nuts mounted in them. So you drill a 1/2 hole drop in the gasket and when you tighten them down the rubber under the cab swells up and seals the hole and make the mount solid when its tightened down. I had alot of weight on the roof rack so I made the mounts set on body lines and in the braced areas. Worked pretty well, no leaks and no silicon. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I used one braket in the front and one in the rear and tied then together with 4" round tubes on the sides with bolts. I still have the roof rack in the garage, its for a 96 astro van if anyone is interested /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    The metal is zink coated and anywhere I ground or welded, I painted it hot to seal it up (I dont have the rubber gaskets anymore though, I had to seal theholes up when I sold it).
    J

6. RatMan

RatMan 1/2 ton status

Yakima sells tracks that you can bolt right into the top. I have them on my K5 and will be putting them on my dad's Suburban. I haven't had any leaking problems with them ( they come with silicon sealant). If you have a headliner, it will still work! the fastening system is designed to work with headliners. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

I'll be making a rack/basket for my k5 in the spring.
    But my question is...FLEX...with 4 mounting points on the shell, will it limit flex and crack the shell when off road?

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I think I have seen you around. I saw a K5 with a rack in the last few day's. Were you around hwy5 or Sandyplains recently?

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You might try Search and "Roof Rack", "Roof Racks", "Conferr", Yamika ect. THis comes up regularly. I know there has been a post in the last 25 day's on it.