Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whos got what for an engine?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevy_mud_84, Aug 25, 2005.

1. chevy_mud_84

chevy_mud_84 Registered Member

Just kind of curiouse about what you guys/girls are running for engines? horsepwer, torque such things like that. maybe some pics. also you guys with well built engine with lots of power how does it work for you off-road, and do you suck back much gas?

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

daily driver has the 2.8 no horse all mileage.
    off roader has a 78-91 305 TBI about 250 horse i just wanted simple
    my new tow rig will be getting a 450 horse 383 don't care for mileage

3. chevy_mud_84

chevy_mud_84 Registered Member

Ive got a 358 with about 480 some horse goin in my truck in the next couples weeks. It shall be fun.

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

My daily driver has 124 hp at the flywheel from a 1.9L :haha:

K5 had 210 hp and 310 torque about 175,000 miles ago that is at the flywheel also :haha: . At least that what the pamphlet says.

Ira

5. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

the p/o yanked the stock 350 in favor of a 350 from a '74 school bus chassis. it's pretty tired and smokes on startup. :bow:

6. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

old and experienced 454 with a billion unknwn miles on it. ugly, but i just can't kill it
    maybe 250 HP / 450 ft lbs

Picture temp2 146.jpg

7. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I've got a stock 350 TBI. I'll run it until it gives up the ghost. I think the most "engine" I have ever run is a midly built 350... I'm pretty much an old reliable stocker type feller I guess. :dunno: Maybe I'm just getting old.. :rolleyes:

Just for nastalgia I did throw in a splash of the old Gm red/orange on the ol stocker. Dang new fangled black this and black that .. :mad: :p:

Oh.. in my defense, let me say.. the air cleaner was getting pretty rusty.. so I just had a little fun. ;) That's probably the extent of "bling" the K5 will see. :haha:

engine 002 (2).jpg

8. Musclerodz

Musclerodz 1/2 ton status

I will be running a LT-1 mildly built in my '69 K5. 350 hp at the flywheel. Should be fun.

Mike

9. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My K25 has a Tuned Port Injected 355, flat tops with a mild cam (XE262-H comp cam) I'm guessing around 280 - 300 horse at the crank. Should have a compression ratio of about 8.9:1 or so. The TPI needs a whole lotta tuning, and won't be on the road any time soon.

My 89 1/2 ton is getting a 73 Nova engine, its a high output 355 again with flat tops, and a mild cam. It was about 280 horse stock with it's higher compression ratio, so with the mild build, it should be approx 300 horse at the crank. I installed a set of police interceptor heads, intake, throttle body and injectors, so she flows pretty good! I am hoping to fire this one up and be daily driving it by Monday, with a for sale sign in the back window.

Far better than my beater! 2.5L Iron Duke with TBI, a whopping 90 horse at the crank baby! Put that through the auto, and a guy is getting like 40 horse to the front wheel, lol The thing works real hard to maintain even 60 mph :P

10. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My '78 has a fresh 350 TBI with flat tops, performer cam and intake. TB spacer and adjustable FPR. Still on the stock chip at the moment and runs fine. I went night wheelin' a couple of nights ago for the first time in this truck and it was SWEET!! Really wet and slippery. It was really cool to go slip sliding down a steep off camber chalking track without the motor missing a beat (I love fuel injection!!!) :D
    My DD ('91) has a stock TBI motor with 160000miles on it and it runs great.

barnmisc 002 copy.JPG

160505 021 copy.JPG

11. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

Mines still mostly stock except for the performer intake and long tube headers. Figure maybe about 200 hp(have to check it out on a dyno eventually and go from there). Works great for my dd and the kind of wheelin i do for now. Mileage??? 10, maybe 12 if i get a good tailwind on the highway. :D

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I put a built 454 in my 72...
    [​IMG]
    This was right before I droped it in
    [​IMG]

As for wheeling with it,.....AWESOME! :bow: I'm still getting use to the power, takes much much less effort to get my rig moving. Ofcoarse the MPFI creates mad throttle responce so you tap the throttle and RRAAaatttttttttt takes off :D Lovin it!

13. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

In the DD, I have a screaming 2.3L 4-banger that makes a scorching 115hp. :haha: At least it gets 30mpg. :bow:

In the Burb I have a 388. I'd guess it makes 325hp and 425 ft/lbs. Desktop Dyno says 338hp/462tq.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Off road it does awesome, plenty of power. The only occasional problem is the Holley 3310, when it gets jossled too much. :doah: :haha:

14. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I bought the truck with the engine in it. These are the specs I got from him:

383 Stroker, 10.5:1 compression, 30X/31X cam, Holly Projection 4D EFI system and a high stall converter. He built it for his drag racer, and claimed it had ~500 horse/500 torque in it when he pulled it from his drag racer to build the mudracer....

Here's what I've deduced from owning it for over a year. It's not 500 horse... but more like 350-400 horse. It's really powerful, and is turning 38's with 4:10 gears, so I know it's got a ton of power, but I doubt 500. I would also immagine closer to 450ftlbs of torque. I have no way to tell, but every 383 I've heard of/seen with 10+:1 compression had that or more. And I think he recammed it before he sold it, because there is no way that cam is as big as he said it is. It's big, with nice & lumpy idle, but I really don't think it's 300+ adv. duration. I'd guess ~250 adv. duration.

Either way, it sucks fuel at a rate that would make the space shuttle jealous. I guess with an engine like that it's not about miles-per-gallon. No, it's about smiles per gallon :D :D :D

[​IMG]

15. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

this is whats under my hood
    [​IMG]

16. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

:haha: You must drive a Volvo :D

17. Blue Goose

Blue Goose Registered Member

My 84 chevy pickup has a 350 motor, which was punched out .30 over. RV cam, a non-egr intake off of a 69 impala, an edelbrock performer series carb, the heads on it, I have been told by a friend, are the big-valve heads? he checked the numbers and said there the good ones, so whatever I guess. And it also has flowtech headers. It scoots along pretty good.

My 68 chevelle SS has a 325 horse 396 in it. I have only added an HEI ignition to it, and I would say I maybe have 350 horse now. It helped a lot, it's backed up by a M20 fourspeed transmissoin. Island teal with a black vinyl top.

18. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Stock 350 crate motor installed in 94 any one know the specs on these. I would bet money if you put my motor on a dyno you wouldnt see anymore than about 150 at the rear wheels Oh well the longer it lasts the more radical the motor that replaces it will be

19. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

This is a 350 (My baby). I don't know what the HP is at this point I know it's up there. I just know that my K5 is FAST AS HELL :D. This engine is backed by a New Th350. I will be upgrading the T-case to a NP205 next year.
    Thanks
    Adam

Picture018.jpg

Picture072.jpg

Picture073.jpg

20. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

DD: 89 scotsdale burb w/ mr goodwrench 6.2 :D
    4x4: CUCV M1009 (mil blazer that i will pick up in about 2 weeks) 6.2
    hotrod/muscle truck: 89 crew dual 454 (tired and i will rebuild as maybe a stroker carbed hehehehe something with some muscle :waytogo: