Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who's in Michigan?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AJMBLAZER, Dec 10, 2000.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Who\'s in Michigan?

I know there are a few of you on here, I need some help. Well, as much as I hate snow and being cold, 2 things which Michigan has in abundance[​IMG], I may be moving back home to Michigan after I get out of the Marines next summer. I've looked around, and the cost of living is just so much cheaper than anywhere else I could go. There's a really good flight school right near where I grew up. My girlfriend won't have so much of a problem with culture shock, she's from New Zealand and will be moving where ever we decide on as soon as she returns from NZ[​IMG]. My family will be much closer to help us start out, etc etc etc etc. Not to mention I miss the forests and mud. Okay, on to my questions.

Where do you get your aftermarket parts and stuff in general? Are there any good shops in the area? How do you fight the rust on your vehicles? Where do you go 4x4ing?

Anything along this line would be appreciated.

I owned a stock 1986 K5 Blazer when I was in High School, and I took it and my current truck, when it was stock and my parent's, down a couple of local trails, but I didn't know anything about lifting it or offroading back then. Just put it in 4x4 and avoid the trees and big rocks. Well, I'd like to know what to do and who to talk to when and if I do move home. All I remember is high school, and there was a lot of stupid stuff going on there. 44" Boggers under 12 inches of lift on a truck with 1/2 ton axles, a cracked frame, a 305, 3.42 gears.......a Bronco with a bad lift where the front tires were like this/\.........hockey puck body lifts.......washer body lifts............steering geometry from hell.........etc etc etc. I won't repeat those mistakes that I saw, but still, it'd be nice to know who to talk to.

This is a big part of my life now, so I won't give it up. I've been in SoCal for 3 years now, and I'm too used to having all these huge 4x4 and truck warehouse stores to go into and buy everything you want and have it installed at.

I'm from Western Michigan, a small town called Middleville, about 20 minutes south of Grand Rapids on M-37. Where are you guys?

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's[​IMG]

2. derek2002

derek2002 1/2 ton status

Re: Who\'s in Michigan?

AJMBLAZER-
    I live in Midland, Michigan... Which is about 30 miles east of Bay City on US-10. Im only 16 and I have only had a truck that was running for a couple of months before I tore it apart, so I havent really been on too many trails. I know that there is no place you can go legally in Midland County, but Gladwin County has a good state rec area called "Grim".

As far as rust, I would rustproof your truck (use nothing but Texaco), undercoat it, and keep it clean. Rust is a bitch, but you can beat it. Aftermarket parts? Mail order, baby! Im not near any big towns like Grand Rapids, so you would have to talk to somebody down there... But, up here the nearest off road shop doesnt stock anything.

I dont know where you are thinking of moving, but my mom is a Realtor and could get you some information on our area or refer you to an agent in the town you are looking at.

I hope your move is safe... And Michigan's snow isnt THAT bad!!!

Later,

-Derek
    1986 3/4 Ton & 1987 Blazer Project
    http://www.4chevy.com

3. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

AJMBLAZER
    Metro Detroit is where I'm at right now. I don't do much 4-wheeling around here as you can imagine. Almost all of my time off road is spent in the western u-p, mainly around ontonogon and the keweenaw area. I fish quite abit so im usually going down old fire lines and forestry roads looking for access to rivers.
    As far as buying parts and stuff there are a few places in the area such as Ramchargers and some of the larger parts stores like pep boys. I think there are specialized 4x4 shops on the outskirts of the metro area. I also used summit mail order in ohio.
    Rust in michigan??? Never heard of it.. man not much you can do, undercoat, regular washes, probably the best idea is to buy a rust free out of state vehicle and then do preventive treatment. My jimmy has severe under body cancer, all im gonna do is patch up the holes in the floor boards with sheet stock. dont really care about the body, just to expensive to fix.
    Craig

[​IMG]

4. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

AJMBLAZER, I live in Gladwin, MI, about an hour north east of Grand Rapids. I know quite a few of the trails in this area. (BTW Derek, most of "Grim" has been closed due to erosion, and stupid people [​IMG].) There is still some good wheeling trails in "The Refuge" in the northern part of Gladwin county, but the prime wheeling spots are in Roscommon county, just north of Gladwin. As far as parts go, there is mail order, and my favorite place for parts, the local junkyard (more in my price range [​IMG]). There is also a 4x4 shop right in Gladwin that can get most stuff (although I prefer to not have them do the work [​IMG], just get me the parts [​IMG]). As far as rust goes, just buy a crappy beater car to drive in the winter [​IMG], so then you don't have to worry about it on your Blazer (I'll sell you an 87 Celebrity Eurosport cheap [​IMG]).

Jeff427
    <font color=red>Mud Dog Off Road Club</font color=red>
    http://muddogoffroad.coloradok5.com

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I think POR 15 would work to keep rust off, but it might be for putting over rust...just wax the bottom of your truck a lot[​IMG]

90K5

6. AJMBLAZER

Thanks a lot guys for the help so far guys. Any photos of 'wheeling at home would be cool too. Hint, hint, hint. You can send them to my email address if you want.

I'm thinking of just getting a little car that gets good gas mileage at first, and who ever of the 2 of us has to drive farther, drives that to work. Then about a year after that, I'll have my buddy out here start looking around for me. You can get solid axle Blazers out here in SoCal with no rust on them. At all. None. Could be a 74, have 150,000 miles on it, and not a spot of rust. Have to see though.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's[​IMG]

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

DUDE WAKE UP! Don't do it man! you got out stay out! Michigans favorite past time is acholisim. It happens because there is nothing else to do in the winter. I know, I'm from there. Come down south to Atlanta. Much better and taxes are less. Get in the suburbs and you can find reasonable priced housing. I paid 90k for my place and if it was in Cal it would be 250k. Plenty of work here and hardly any of the white stuff (salt and snow) hits the ground. I run with the top off for 8 months of the year. Don't do it man! Plus NZ chics look hot in Bikini's not parkas!

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

8. AJMBLAZER

Grim, well, actually, there's lots of things to do during the winter. That's one of the things she's good at. [​IMG] Just have to keep a steady supply of......protection.....around.
    I never said I would stay there. Just during school. I really want to hit the Gulf Coast area of Florida/Alabama/Lousiana. I loved Pensacola when I was going to school there. Michigan just gives me a better chance while I'm starting out.
    Yeah, I know she looks great in a bikini, we met in California, and I'm still here. I think she looks good in anything.......hehehehehehehehehe......

9. AJMBLAZER

Okay, so what kind of tires do you guys run for what conditions? My current 285's are going to be pretty much dead in another year and after the 2,600 mile drive back east. So what do you run?