Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who's installed a transgo shift kit?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ryan B., Jul 19, 2004.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Who\'s installed a transgo shift kit?

Just curious who has used a transgo shift kit and how they liked the instructions, and the kit?
    Yesterday I installed a stage2 kit in my friends 4l60e in his '98 camaro... I was not too impressed with the instructions that came in the kit...
    I've installed a couple b&m kits, a tci kit, and now a transgo... I've heard everyone say they hate the B&M instructions and transgo is much better? /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    I thought that the transgo instructions sucked, there was not very detailed pictures or instructions for a few parts that you really needed it.. For one part you had to remove the actuator and change a spring.. then when it went back together it wasn't clear where the retaining clip goes.. and the video didn't help.. we pretty much guessed if the clip went in the 3rd or 4th slot.. and we went with our gut instinct which looked more accurate.
    I wish i made a mental note of everything or took a digital picture before we started pulling apart the valve body..
    I even popped in the video to watch that step... and of course they didn't even have that step in the instructional video! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif A couple of steps seemed out of order. it tells you to reassemble the 4th gear accumulator as shown.. but you can't even reassemble it until everything else is done, its more like the last step. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    Maybe its just me, but with the th350 & th400 B&M shift kits and tci valve body's i've installed before, the directions were much more clear and there was nothing that was left to your interpretation or had me guessing like this transgo kit for the 4l60e.. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    Got everything back together and it works good.. but i wasn't too impressed with the instructions in the kit.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: Who\'s installed a transgo shift kit?

Trans-Go's kit for the 2004R kind of had me guessing a bit as well...the instructions were almost cryptic. Been a few years, perhaps they have changed. Once I read it a few times, I got it, but it wasn't intuitive for sure.

The only B&M kit I've ever done was a TH350, and there was one part (can't recall which now) that was absolutely ridiculous. The instructions weren't clear at all, and you HAD to guess how it went in. (I wasn't the only one looking at them, so I know it wasn't just me)

I've heard since that the B&M instructions are better, but have no personal experience.

3. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

I put the transgo stage 2 in my th350. I didnt use theinstructions with the kit sence i was rebuilding the tranie all together at the time anyway. so i just usd the trany book i was using. i like the kit though

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

what tranny book do you have?

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I put the transgo stage 2 in my th350. I didnt use theinstructions with the kit sence i was rebuilding the tranie all together at the time anyway. so i just usd the trany book i was using. i like the kit though

[/ QUOTE ]

The shift kit consists of changing the springs in the valve body, installing a new shift valve, and drilling the seperator plate with the appropriate sized holes for what kind of shifts you want..
    If you didn't read the instructions how did you know which springs to change and which holes to drill in the seperator plate? Did you just throw in the new seperator plate?

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I was thinking the same thing. With the pieces that are changed/added in the trans-go kits I've done, the instructions were necessary, a tranny manual doesn't tell you all you need to know. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif