Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who's installed Yukon Gears

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by slider, Aug 14, 2003.

1. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Who\'s installed Yukon Gears

i just installed a set of Yukon gears in my differential. Pattern is perfect, backlash is at .008 and pinion bearing preload is at 14"lbs torque (yes the crush sleeve is crushed). They have a slight whine under power above 35 mph that goes away with a little more power but then comes back again when you level your speed out. No whine at all under coast. Is it that Yukon gears are just noisy? The gears have a U.S. gear stamped on them and from talking to others i have been told that U.S. gears are good quailty. I have installed Motive and Precision gear sets and have had great luck with no noise. I replaced all other bearings including the axle bearings. I know what I am doing how to set them up but I am just wondering about Yukon/U.S. gears quality. I have approx 150 miles on them and broke them in as directed. Will this whine go away as they lap in? I hope so I hate it, but I guess I can turn up the tunes. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifAny ideas????? Thanks Slider

2. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

Re: Who\'s installed Yukon Gears

I installed some 4:88 gears from yukon and I do not have any noise what so ever

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I had my buddy install a set of Yukon gears for me in my front D60 (which by the way were Dana spicer gears) and they don't make any noise.

4. crazykev4x4

crazykev4x4 1/2 ton status

i installed yukon gears in my bro in laws truck 5.13 dana 44 and corp 14ff no noise at all . what diff do u have ?

Kevin

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

My brother had his diff done by Randy's Ring and Pinion, and I believe they use Yukon as the lower priced stuff. They said it might whine compared to oem, but it was a lot less $$$ and afterwards there was no noticible whine. But it would seem that its not unheard of with these gears /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

I am going to pull the cover off and check the pattern again.

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I put Yukon Gears in my 14FF (4.56's) and the instructions stated they may make a LITTLE more noise than stock. With my exhaust and tires, I do not hear anything though.

8. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I have installed 6 sets of Yukon gears. None of them have made noise, but they were a pain in the ass to get the pinion depth right.

9. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I put 5.13 Yukons in my front 60 and they were a pain in the ass. I'll never buy anything but OEM and Precision gears ever again. I can't say anything about noise because I've never had my truck at any kind of speed in 4wd and even if I did the 44" TSLs and 1 chamber Flowmasters would drown it out.