Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who's k5 is a daily driver?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kelboski, Sep 6, 2000.

1. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

who\'s k5 is a daily driver?

just curious....mine is....what mods do you all have on them..since they are daily drivers?...and what not to have on an every day k5?
    Kelboski

2. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

Re: who\'s k5 is a daily driver?

mine is, I have a 4 inch lift with 33s, thats about it. But hey, I am 17, with little cash, and that is the only vehicle I have.

Spreading The K5 Gosple!

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Mine has a rebuilt 350 +.30 with 9.5:1 compresion, RV cam, headers, exhaust; ect. It also has a 4" rancho lift with RS5000s so I feel every little bump (saving for Alcans). The doors swing open randomly (almost done with the other set), no driver's side rocker, squeaks/rattles to no end, plus it leaks and sucks gas. I start school friday and its a 30 mile round-trip plus work so it apears I'm getting something else to drive so the K5 can be just for the weekends. </font color=blue>

http://www.chrisd71k5.coloradok5.com <font color=blue></font color=blue>

5. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

I drive it every day!! 6" lift with 35's and lockers front and rear and love them. Wouldn't get rid of them.

6. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I haven't changed a thing or updated mine . I have a 180,000 miles and still drive 32 miles a day 5 days a week .

7. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

I'm with 86blazerk5, I drive mine every day becuase I'm only 16 nad have no other vehicles, mine has a 454 thats .060 over, comp 268H cam, balanced, edelbrock carb, holley intake, hedders, keith black pistons, K&N,centerforce dual friction, optima deep cycle, 4" lift with 33's.

Theres No Replacement for Cubic Inches!

8. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I bought my 88 last August and had 33's installed in Sept and the 4" skyjacker (all 4 springs, shocks, & steering arm) installed in Nov. Not long after that it got a Jacobs Milage Master ignition system, K&N filter, SS brake lines, and a very nice sound system. Around March I decided to fix the rusted out tailgate support and found that the entire tub was rotted (only 1 body mount was solid) and had the dealer fix it (91 tub with very little rust, new fenders and tailgate). I finally got it back on the road about 5 weeks ago and painted it this past week. Soon it's getting 4.56's with a Lock-Right in the new 12 bolt and maybe a TrueTrac up front (afraid I'll break it). Right now I have a new Griffin aluminum radiator, Flexalite 16" fan, B&M tranny cooler, homemade swaybar disconnects, 2" soon to be 1" body lift (lathes are great), a gallon of Herculiner, and a gallon of POR-15 sitting in my garage waiting to be put in. By next spring it will have either 35" or 37" BFG MT's (new design), custom prerunner bumpers, rock sliders, skid plates, long travel shocks and custom mounts like Dep's, dual exhaust with headers, an h-pipe, high flow cats, and Flowmaster 40's. It will probably get painted again next summer when I have more time to do a better job and put in an 8 point cage with a custom soft top at the same time. Eventually I'd like to put in programable TPI and a 12000 lb winch. Oh, almost forgot, this is my daily driver too. Between school, work, and just screwing around I put quite a few miles on it every week. Don't even ask how I pay for everything because I haven't quite figured that out yet. I'm thinking of selling my boat to my brother so I can get the gears and lockers sooner. I guess you really could consider this an addiction.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org

9. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Mine is a daily driver for now. I have 4" lift, 35" tires, Kayline Top, Lock Rite rear dif, 400 Small block, TH350 Tranny, etc...

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.coloradoK5.com</font color=blue>

10. Whii338

Whii338 Registered Member

88k5 350 700r4 170,000 miles 33's and still going strong...straight to the gas station.

11. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Mine's the family wagon........in fact, my wife drives it 10 times as much as me because I have a company truck. However, she allows me to drive it on weekends LOL!!!! It's totally stock(boohoo)- that will change in, oh, 20 years, when I get to reclaim sole ownership. Hopefully I'm still alive by then!

12. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I drive mine everyday. It doesn't have any mods. I dont have any cash. But I still have a helluva time romping in the mud with my bald 31's!![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] !!!! [​IMG]

13. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I drive mine to the gas station or parts house every day, faithfully. Its an 83, 350, 700r4, 208, 2" lift, 31x10.50x15, 15 dollar 15x10 aluminum mods. I took the top off and now I can't find it.(OH WELL)

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

14. bosifus

bosifus Registered Member

Daily gas stop that is, mine is 350+.30 mild cam,edelbrock intake and carb,headers and dual exhaust. 4.10 gears and 35' Remingtons. No lockers yet but I do have a 6 in lift and a 8000 warn on the front to keep me out of trouble depending on how you look at it. I got the winch incase I get stuck, now it seems I am stuck more than ever. Oh well.
    I would not have a long duration cam in a 350 with freeway gears and tires over 33 in.

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Daily driver, family hauler, trailer tow pig, 200,000 miles on it and still going (motors got about 75,000 on it)

4" rancho lift, disconnected sway bar, RS 5000's, 35" General grabber MT's. 350 with edelbrock 600 (electric choke) CC 260 HE cam, SM 465 4speed , NP 205, FF 14 bolt rear, Dana 44 front, 3.73's open (detroit coming soon), custom fabricated front and rear bumpers with rear bumper mounted swing out tire rack. Kayline soft top (should be on the truck by the end of the month)

Traffic has never been so fun! [​IMG]

Now if only I could find a litle more time to work on it.

Rene

[​IMG]

16. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

35s with a 4' lift. 135,000 miles on the engine. Drive 30+ highway miles ONE WAY! Ouch! Just moved 1 month ago and replaced u-joints two moths ago. I'm already getting a vibration. Not fun in suburban MD traffic. I'm thinking of getting a Monte Carlo SS for the daily and use the K5 for "top off" weather and snow.

17. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

Mine will be, sort of. The wife has a little Geo metro that she deives to work and back. It's not a roadster, but the mileage beats the crap out of the Blazer. I have a company car I drive to work and back. As soon as this K-5 is finished it'll be doing grocery chores, dump runs and hardware store excursions. I doubt I'll ever get much more than a 4" lift and 35's. That's a pretty good compromise between highway driving and off road. I drive an hour and a half to where I hunt too. I don't want to be shaken up so bad I can't aim. I'd like to lock it front and rear though, don't know how bad that will effect the streetability.

"who dares wins"

18. S10-4x4

S10-4x4 1/2 ton status

How did you loose the top? You would think after someone hits their head or foot on it enough they would remember where it is at?!?!?!
    :->

>I took the top off and now I can't find it.(OH WELL)
    >Jim

S10-4x4

J**P...Its what's for dinner
    http://s10-4x4.coloradok5.com

19. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

My '89 Blazer was/will be a daily driver. It's parked now waiting for me to build it's new home, a 24'x 24' garage.

The plans then are a BDS 6" susp. with Off-Road Design greaseable shackles & bushings & RS9012's, cross-over steering, ARB'ed Dana 60/14 bolts, 36x12.5R16 Swamper Radials on Eagle Alloys (maybe 37 or 38's), TBI 383 with Flowtech headers & Flowmaster cat-back, B&M overhaul kit for the 700-R4, Tom's Woods driveshafts(with CV-joints), full frame-mounted roll cage tied to either a boxed chassis or a new custom chassis, body Rhino-lined inside & underside and new paint job. Tall order but hopefully, I'll be able to pull it off with the help of my interactive Blazer encyclopedia, the Colorado K5 board!!! [​IMG][​IMG] The part that scares me is all the stuff I haven't found broken or worn yet!![​IMG]

Brian
    89KBlazer

20. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

The "UAV" is a daily driver, why would you want to drive anything else to work? My fuel pump just went out yesterday, but after 172,000 miles I guess I can live with it. [​IMG] At least it waited untill I got back from Moab!!
    Specs --> http://coloradok5.com/uav.shtml

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel