Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who's keeping up on the AWB sunset?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TrcksR4ME, Aug 26, 2004.

1. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Who\'s keeping up on the AWB sunset?

I haven't kept up with this, is it still on track to sunset in September? I have a flash supressor and bayonet lug I am just itching to install on my Cetme /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Who\'s keeping up on the AWB sunset?

yep, still on track. Its not even going to come up in congress, so it will definitely sunset.

i need some new hicaps for my H&K USP...

j

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Oh no! People are going to be able to buy a gun with a folding stock, a detatchable box magazine which would hold more than 10 rounds AND that has a pistol grip ? For the love of god, any combo of those, but not all three! WE NEED A SCARIER NAME NEXT TIME! THE BABY KILLING JESUS STABBING WEAPONS BAN!

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

YAY! HI CAPS FOR MY RUGER!

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, I saw the same thing... I figured Im' going to keep mum about it to avoid reminding my ultra-liberal senators, unless I see activity by these anti-gun dopes locked in the concept of "Gun=dead people". God forbid they may actually look into an issue...

5. Resurrection_Joe

I love you !

BTW - Ruger is still pluggin along perfectly, good one to look into. Decided what you want to get yet?

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

You crack me up hombre! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Yes, I want a Glock 17 to start with and keep semi-handy inthe house (if I actually like shooting it once I'm legally allowed to try it). But for some retarded reason, I still have not turned in my license application... I just picked up two fresh new ones to re-fill out after discovering an oops in my character references (I was trying to use some family law enforcement to look good, but turns out family is a no-no in references).

How did you know I was undecided? I don't think I've mentioned it on the boards in like a year or two.

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

If you can go to a range and tryout a few different handguns. I never liked the way a glock feels in the hand, and a lot of people get them because they are so popular and in a lot of movies and TV. I would try out a Sig and an HK, little more money but very nice firearms. I have a Steyr M-9 that is really sweet, and the price was right when i got it, but its not a viable option for someone looking to buy a gun at this time.

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

By law in this state, I can't handle a pistol without a permit... That's why I haven't hit a range yet to try any out.

I like the Glock 17 because I've heard and read so many great things about them, durability and dependability-wise. Personally, I think they're dang ugly as far as cosmetics go...
    I'm really in my "infancy" of pistol experience. I'm hoping once I can legally handle them, I can spend a lot more time at the range learning a lot more. I like big guns that peopl can see you wearing...which is irrelevant, since I'd be required to conceal it if I ever left the house with it here...

9. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    By law in this state, I can't handle a pistol without a permit

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif How lame!

I use to work in a gun shop so I got to handle all kinds of guns, it was great /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif You are 100% correct on a Glock being durable and dependable. I don't recall anyone ever bringing one into the shop for repair, not to say they can't break, just is very rare. I did rent a Glock 17 at a range and also a Sig P226 (both 9mm) and the Sig felt way better to shoot. Once you are "allowed" /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif to handle pistols, definately go to a range where you can rent them and try them out before ploping down all that cash for one...assuming that New York has ranges where you can rent them, gun laws sound a little /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

10. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I knew you couldn't own one without the permit, but you can't even go try one at the range? That is some horsesh*t. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

As far as the AWB goes, I am just waiting so I can get a "pre-ban" gun for a decent price, and use all the accessories that can only go on a "pre-ban". Hopefully an AR-15 or the .308 version (AR-10?). Everything I've read/heard also says it will definitely sunset.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You cannot touch a gun in Illinois without a FOID card either. They're $5 or something from the state and good for a number of years. Really no reason NOT to have one. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Once it sunsets there will be no "Pre-ban" as there will no longer be a ban. Once it does, I'll definitely be buying up everything I can get my hands on.

Two months from now is my 21st b-day, I can't wait to get my hands on a new H&K USP .45 compact. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You cannot touch a gun in Illinois without a FOID card either. They're $5 or something from the state and good for a number of years. Really no reason NOT to have one. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Once it sunsets there will be no "Pre-ban" as there will no longer be a ban. Once it does, I'll definitely be buying up everything I can get my hands on.

Two months from now is my 21st b-day, I can't wait to get my hands on a new H&K USP .45 compact. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thus the "quotes" in my post.

13. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a flash supressor and bayonet lug I am just itching to install on my Cetme

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too!!!!!!!!!!

14. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

You own a Cetme, or just waiting to put on a flash suppressor and bayonet lug?

15. Resurrection_Joe

[ QUOTE ]

You crack me up hombre!

Yes, I want a Glock 17 to start with and keep semi-handy inthe house (if I actually like shooting it once I'm legally allowed to try it). But for some retarded reason, I still have not turned in my license application... I just picked up two fresh new ones to re-fill out after discovering an oops in my character references (I was trying to use some family law enforcement to look good, but turns out family is a no-no in references).

How did you know I was undecided? I don't think I've mentioned it on the boards in like a year or two.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, buy a plane ticket and come run of aouple of hundred rounds off my porch, 1911, 870, P89

The glocks are ugly, and are sinfully overpopular, but they are a damn fine gun from what I can gather. Try and find a nice used one on gunbroker.com or something from some guy who bought it for kicks and now wants to get rid of it.

I have to keep pluggin my Ruger though, it's dreamy, wide, but dreamy. 9mm/.40/.45 your choice, supercooool

If you ARE going to buy a NEW gun in a currently produced model, try and wait untill after the AWB dies and get a deal on hi caps with the new gun, I know Beretta and Taurus are doing it.

NY sounds annoying CCW wise. I went to the police station with $10 and walked out half an hour later with a permit. It's so great. Open carry with no licence, CCW at 18, they give you a temporary paper permit untill your's gets processed, now ait at all! ROCKANDROLLSD! You guys can keep your CA and NY

16. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Worked in a gun shop during part of my stay in engineering school. The Glock's slide is made the same way that both the SIG and the HK slides are made. All three are folded pieces of sheetmetal with a breach block welded in.
    While nice pieces, I always felt that the SIG's and HK's were over priced. If you can get your hand around one, the Beretta 92 varients are really stable shooting platforms. I see Ruger's P series as hammers. They aren't racy or flashy, they aren't spendy, they probably aren't the first choice for a 'race gun', and they always work. My former boss hit a ground squirrel at about 225 yds with an S&W 669.

I shoot 1911A1's & Hi Powers. Next will likely be Glock .40 Search out the folding shovel ("Entrenchment Tool") Glock makes, it's super cool too.

If you own a lot of Glocks does that make them a Glitch? In other words, what is a Flock of Glocks called?

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't care for the Berettas at all.

I would definitely own a Glock though, very nice the last time I fired one (Glock 30).

All y'all buying 9mms kill me though. I am 5'4" and 140 and I can shoot a .45 no problem, I have no clue why you'd want a 9mm unless it's for mag capacity.

18. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I like plinkers. Those .45 Supers (made from .308 & .30-06 cases) shot out of the Long Slide tend to get a bit tiring after a while. Not as much as the Federal .30-30 170's shot out of the Contender though. Heck, even the 7mm BR isn't as wearing.

19. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    The Glock's slide is made the same way that both the SIG and the HK slides are made. All three are folded pieces of sheetmetal with a breach block welded in.

[/ QUOTE ]

not sure what your definition of "sheet metal" is, but I wouldn't call what the slide on my H&K USP is made out of "sheet metal"...

j

20. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    The Glock's slide is made the same way that both the SIG and the HK slides are made. All three are folded pieces of sheetmetal with a breach block welded in.

[/ QUOTE ]

not sure what your definition of "sheet metal" is, but I wouldn't call what the slide on my H&K USP is made out of "sheet metal"...

j

[/ QUOTE ]

Was thinking the same damn thing! The slide is a solid piece that has been machined. Sheet metal /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Maybe some of the parts are stamped steel, but I have striped a glock down to nothing and dont recall sheet metal or a welded in breech block /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Oh, and Tim, whats wrong with a 9mm? Why do you think a 45acp is so great? You want something that is ballistically ahead of the pack, its called .357sig /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif But when it comes down to it, if you are carrying a pistol for protection, having one you can handle and shoot well is more important than the "power" of the cartridge. A 9mm will kill someone just as easy as a 45acp. And not saying 45acp is handful, I had a 1911 for a while and it was an awesome shooter. 44mag, thats a handful, and theres one in my safe too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif