Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who's leaking fluid?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by newyorkin, Sep 10, 2001.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Who\'s leaking fluid?

I have 4 leaks in my truck currently:
    ATF from the transfer case halves, Gear Oil from the rear diff, Power steering fluid from the low pressure hose at the box, coolant from a pinhole in the radiator (this only occasionally).
    I attempted to reseal the rear diff yesterday, but found this morning it's still leaking from the bolt holes near the top... Transfer case needs to be pulled and resealed... Steering box needs an o-ring I've been too lazy to get to... Radiator leaks from a prior repair...
    I just thought about this saturday when I was chemically cleaning the petroleum product off the street that I park on...

Who else has similar sitiations?

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Ever stop to think... Then forget to start again?**

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Who\'s leaking fluid?

My steering box leaks, need to replace an o-ring, and then every gasket in the motor leaks but runs great.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I have a valve cover that leaks. The bolts vibrate loose. I have a power steering line that has a little slice in it from a tree. Also my pinion seal from the rear end leaks a little from catching a pice of barb wire in the u joint and wraping aroung the driveshaft.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My 14 bolt leaks at the passenger wheel...I need a speedi sleeve. I have a small leak from the front cover on the motor, enough to make the underside greasy looking, but not enough to leave more than a tiny drip in the driveway.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

5. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Pretty much everything leaks on mine, just keep em filled.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It's a Chevy, it was designed to leak! [​IMG] That's how you check the fluid levels. If it isn't leaking, then it must be empty! [​IMG] Something leaks on each of the 4 GM trucks at my house. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I don't think there is any part on my truck that doesn't leak!

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

8. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

My rear is leaking gear oil, and my motor is leaking oil, I think at the pasenger side head... I cant stand it.
    Ike

Spreading The K5 Gospel!

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Valve covers, power steering,tranny cooling lines I need to fix those it looks like somebody got killed on my garage floor from all the red fluid...

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

10. ironmikek5

ironmikek5 1/2 ton status

I've got a rear main seal that leaks, a valve cover, and various other minor leaks.

<font color=red>"Oil? That's not my oil...that was there before" </font color=red>[​IMG]

11. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have a leak at the rear main seal and also, my radiator catch can has a hole in bottom and leaks....

Mike

<font color=green>"My K5 is purdyr than your sister!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Only thing my 75 leaks is oil when it's about 45 degrees nose down. The front seal will leak a little. Just replaced the chain in my case and sealed it up good when I did. I might have a very minor leak on the rear main seal. The weep hole has a film of oil on it. I resealed tha valve covers when I got it.
    Blew a power steering hose a few weeks ago and it took me a while to figure that out. Unless I was turning the wheel to get the pump under load it wouldn't leak. Just would drip down on the cross member and when I would back up my drive it would dribble off for weeks and then it started going real bad and sprayed the underhood, fan shoud, exhaust manifold, frame and front of the engine.
    Just found a axle seal on the rear was about to go but I'm going through that axle this week so that will be fixed.
    I HATE leaks. I fix them all. Lady's truck leaks nothing. My supra has one leak and unfortunatly the repair is a $200 distributor. The distributor seal is not available and the unit is not servicable is what Toy tels me.
    The way I look at it on the trail trucks is if it can leak out water can leak in so I fix them as soon as it shows up.
    To totaly reseal a sbV8 with the exception of the rear main only cost about $40. That's new pan gasket, timming cover gasket and crank seal, valve covers and mechanical fuel pump gaskets.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

13. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

some people my not call it leaking, they say it marking it's territory. but my only leak is tranny fuild and it's come'n from where the tranny meets the trnsfer but it's very minimal and doen't even drip.

14. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

I just came inside from my second attempt to get the halfes on the NP208 to stop bleeding. Yesterday i did my reardiff for the second time also.. So far so good, I really, really suck at sealing things[​IMG]

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>

15. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

You would probably be better off asking Who Isn't Leaking Fluid

I have been repairing leaks since last summer, before I replaced my engine it was leaking, My power steering was leaking till I replaced the box and hoses. The tranny is leaking (slow but steady since my driveway is inclined) on the bottom of the pan (I am going to replace the filter and change fluid this week) and also where the speedo cable connects. Last week I noticed battery acid on the drive way, replaced battery. And now this week I noticed that I am leaking a tad bit from the bottom of the radiator, guess it is time to swap from my old diesel radiator to a regular one.
    Hopefully after the tranny and radiator are fixed, she will remain continentfor a while.

Good lord. The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up it's butt.

16. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I'm definitly in the "what doesn't leak" category. The best is stuff that leaks on the driveshaft, it sprays the floor to prevent rust.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

17. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i have these four holes in my carb, two little and two big one,s
    i was watching the other day and noticed that they are leaking gas right down into my cylinders. is that normal? should there be gas in with pistons? won't they corrode??
    i also loose axle grease out the locking hub, if anybody knows where to get a new o-ring for a warn hub let me know
    lilbinson@rocketmail.com

Tork DSR
    I just got a winch, it takes the fun out of things.

18. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i have a mysteious leak.
    its verysmall and only noticablewhen my blazer sits for a week or more. its round wherethe driveshaftgoes into the t-case.any sugestions?
    never drips when i drve it everyday, but when i gosomewhere outta town and it sits, or liek now i ant drive because of my leg, it sits.
    any ideas?

<font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    85 K5 4IN LIFT 35 GOOD YEAR WRANGLER MT/R, AMERICAN RACING WHEELS

19. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I've got two leaks - The transfer case leaks at the case halves, and I've got an oozing power steering hose.

Clean up on aisle 3!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

20. Re: Who\'s leaking fluid?

I use my leaks to mark my spot in the drive! Looks like I cleaned a big elk in the drive! Power Steering leaking, Heater hoses, Oil leak, front axel seal leaking, T-case leaking at the slip yoke.

But like everyone else said here, it's when all the leaks stop that I get worried.

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.