Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who's linked up out back?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

What material did ya use for links? 4 link or 3? What joints? JJ? Heims? RE joints? Coil overs or coils? If coils, what coils did ya go with?

With some of the resources available to me working for HAD, linking the rear of my truck is becoming a possiblity. Was under there fixin my traction bar mount today and started lookin at what it would take to get a 4 link rear setup goin. The rough, in my head plan I have now includes the Blue Torch 14b truss/link mount, triangulated uppers, straight lowers, and coils.

Blue Torch truss here- http://www.bluetorchfab.com/oscomm/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=121&products_id=389

I'd rather just buy it rather than make one and spend the time and effort saved on desiging the rest of the system.

I haven't gone as far as taking measurements or anything beyond just thinking about it...I'll prolly start gathering the parts and material now. Expensive stuff...so it'll take me a bit to collect it all. :crazy:

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Im linked out back in my samurai, today is the first trip for it in the rocks with some of the Nor Cal guys out at the hammers. I used 1.5" .250" DOM tubing for the lowers, with RE joints and im running heims up top. Should work pretty good, im curious to see how its going to work.

Also check out Dan's program (triaged), he helped me do my 4-link and we used his calculator to check the geometry of it all.

3. gm500hprat

gm500hprat 1/2 ton status

I'm 4 linking my rear right now. And I'm using 2.5 JJ's with 1 1/4-12 stud. 2" DOM .250...Blue Torch Threaded bungs...Offroad design traction bar link plate for upper control arms and John Curie is making me tabs for my lower arms that will mount on the front of the axle tube at an angle. I'm designing my 4link after Stephens from Offroaddesign. The lower transfercase mount will be the triangulation. I'm using 4" HD Tj coils from Currie since the price was right. If I had to buy I would definately use Coilovers. Stephen makes a kit for 4 linking as well that uses the lower link triangulation you san see it on the threads for fox's k5 buggy. I think its about 400 complete or like 150 for the parts and you weld yourself. It's an awesome design and incorporates upper and lower tabs as well as the coilovers shock mount and axle truss...

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'll probably link the front before I do the rear. Departure angle is near 90 degrees with leafs... and long ones offer lots of flex. Don't see as much advantage with going links in the rear. Prolly why SW did the front first (TTC generation of wally). Anyway, I'm gonna use these joints....

[​IMG]

j

5. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

Got some more details on these joints? Price, manufacturer, link?

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

We are linking a buddy of mines rear. Cut the frame off right behind the cab and built a new tube rear section.
    Its going to be a dual reversed traingulated setup. Lower links will be 2"x.500 wall:eek1: Uppers will be something a bit smaller. All 4 joints in the rear are 3" weld on jj's.

I would not do the triangulated uppers with the straight lowers, that setup gives you alot of rear steer when flexed.

Heres the rear so far. Today we are going to finish up the rear and start on the front tubing, the top of the main rear pillar will be tied into the front tubing for strength.
    [​IMG]

7. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Ok...so I should triangulate the lowers too. I don't really have much room to triangulate too much though.

Does anyone have any pictures? I found Baddogs writeup in the center of gravity forum, very cool...Still like to see somemore pics.:wink1:

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

in the midst of my 4 link on my S10.

1"x.156 wall tapped to 3/4, sleeved with 1.25x.120, may sleeve with 1.50x.120 yet. IT was just easier then getting tubing adapters. Well tapping was a pain.

3/4" FK Rod ends I got at Bluetorch.

If you have access to a press brake, I say make the truss. I don't care for the Bluetorch one. It is a great piece but I personally wanted more link seperation, which would have meant really tall tabs. Here is the one I made for the Taco behind it. Took me about 45 minutes, all I used was a press brake, plasma cutter, and grinder. They were for notching the ends of the plate. My 14 bolt one is taller, I have no pictures of it at this second. Will post some when the suspension is done.

Oh and ZJ v8 Front coils for me. Shall see how they work out.

I think you have room to triangulate you just aren't seeing it. I did double triangulated on the S10, which is a tighter fit then a K5. Of course I have yet to post pictures for critiqueing. Don't care much, going to get it done and run it. if I don't like it, learn from the mistakes and redo it.