Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who's loud? :)

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Spkrman, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Spkrman

Spkrman Registered Member

Any chance any of you guys here compete... or just have a stupid loud daily driver?

I compete in MECA: www.mecacaraudio.com . This will be my second year... last year took 6th place in both m2 and db2.

It got up to a 154.0 in m2, and a 126.6 was its peak in driveby (6 feet from the car, 4.5 feet up in an open space). The trunk install is undergoing a boatload of testing, the *current* box is doing a 145.0 at 35hz with one 15, the loudest box so far farted out a 148.9 @ 58hz - if I can get this 145 @ 35hz to peak up high (hard to do, due to the unusual design - see pics) this one 15 will be in the 50's.

Last year competed in my 99 monte carlo daily driver, this year (if I can get a few favorable rulings) I'll probably be competing in my 77 k5.

pics :)

wall in the MC, this is just one of many
    [​IMG]

another
    [​IMG]

half wall - the plan was a loud daily driver... that went down the tubes quick when i caught the comp bug!
    [​IMG]

Current trunk, just took one battery out and moved things around a bit - there is no front battery.
    [​IMG]

the way it was
    [​IMG]

wow, the trunk actually closes!?!?!
    [​IMG]

One of the boxes, with the 2 15's and 2 700 watt amps, it did a 149.5... with one 15 in a smaller box (pic'd below) it did a 148.9 with 700 watts. Now I have one 15 in this box doing a 145 @ 35hz - assuming I can get the note higher and effeciantly make use of everything... it should be in the 50's with just the one 15 and approx 1000 watts, as soon as I get my 16 volt alt :)
    [​IMG]

another of the boxes, outside of the car
    [​IMG]

And.... the car's exterior, next to the k5.

[​IMG]

I hope to compete in the same class (s1) in the k5, it will be 100x easier to work on.. and overall a heck of alot cooler - not to mention its about 4x the cargo space I have now + the hatchback advantage, which makes up for the big cabin size gain (more cabin of course = harder to get loud).

Last edited: Feb 13, 2005
  2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Looks like Cerwin Vega Strokers. Good subs. I prefer the Treo Enginering myself. www.treoonline.com

3. Spkrman

yeps... very effeciant woofers, sound like rancid but juice - but they get loud. like 8mm linear xmax, so tuning low just isn't gonna happen... when you tune a stroker low, you have to be *very* careful because they can go back quick... particularly since there is no pole/perimeter venting.

Treo on the other hand, is known for being very ineffeciant, more of a daily driver sub... the big dog, CSX is it? is a waste of a woof... so heavy that its just not worth it anymore - takes WAY too much power to get em goin.

Either way... its all install... but I'll take DD all day, hold more world records than any other sub :D

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

DD's are very nice. I got into the Treo's because I know a couple of guys that designed them. I plan on a pair of the 12.22 SSI's for the daily driver. I'm still kind of "old school" when it comes to amps. I have a MMATS D200hc , not the most powerfull amp, ( 1500watts at 1 ohms ) but it works for me. Currently I've only got a single 12" Kicker L7 in a large slot port box in the daily driver, but I'm planning on those Treo's by fall. For the Head unit, I'm running a Clarion DXZ945MP, and the main speakers will be Infinity Kappa's. I don't compete, but for just a daily driver, it sounds pretty good. By the way, here's a pic of the daily driver. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2005
  5. Spkrman

d200's are no joke ;) THey are some sweet amps, as is all mmats stuff.

as far as sub choice - whatever floats ure boat... if you were just going for loud, I'd stick with the l7's.

6. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Old Setup in my DD: 2 Digital Designs 9515's, Zapco C2K9.0XD :saweet: Took the setup out when I started to lose hearing.

7. Spkrman

lol... ouch

i hope you competed with that :)

8. riggz

riggz Registered Member

im running 1 12" Eclipse 88120 aluminum in a sealed box w a Kenwood x811d amp in my 02 Nissan Frontier KC. Also have the kenwood dvd/navigation head unit double din. quite nice :) (also its my DD so it gets good use)

9. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

I used to run 2 DD9515's with 2 Cadence H7HC monoblocks, had a 260 amp alt with 2 orbital deep cycles.. loudest i ever hit was 153 @ about 50 or so hz.. I drove a 91 t-bird with a licence plate that had "play it till it hertz" Man i miss those days, the tranny went out in the car and decided to sell it, then bought a truck and sold all my stereo stuff for truck stuff.. wish i had a scanner i could show you pics of my old equipt.

10. JIMMY76

JIMMY76 1/2 ton status

I HAVE 4 L7 12" OLD BLACK STYLE IN A MEDIUM TO BIG RECTANGLER PORTED BOX ON ABOUT 2200WATTS DONT KNOW WHAT IM HITTING AT BUT I DO KNOW THE VERY SMALL CHIP IN MY WINDSHEILD NOW LOOKS LIKE A SPIDER WEB :doah: OH ITS IN A 98 YUKON

11. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

12. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You might want to tell your buddy to run a spell check on his website.... :rolleyes:

There's nothing worse than a "professional" website with spelling or grammatical problems....it really makes you wonder how much they care about their own image, or the work they do.....

:usaflag:

13. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

didnt catch it, what all is misspelled?
    sorry

14. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

"RESULTS GUANTEED"

There's probably more....but I lost interest in the site after finding the first one...

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

For audio, you can get some good info over on Termpro .

16. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

Mines real loud and clear. No exaggerated bass, no distorted highs and mids, just plain loud and clear..

I run a pair of 12" kicker Comp vr's in a downfire enclosure powered by a Rockford Fosgate Punch 650. 2 pairs of 6x9s in the doors and the rear panels powered by a Fosgate Punch 200ix and a Pioneer head unit. Nothing competition or high end but it sounds great to me.

A sound system is as good as your weakest link, and it also depends on the way it was installed/hooked up.

17. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now whos loud?

18. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

:eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :eek1:

[​IMG]

:haha: :rotfl: WTF! What size is that thing? Is it real? :haha:

19. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status