Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who's modded a TBI system and GAINED MPG?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5Jimmy, Mar 22, 2005.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

What did you do, what brand of stuff, etc? Also, before and after specs would be nice. I'm mainly looking into bolt on mods, not so much into the motor.

Thanks

2. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I did. It's called a HONDA! :D

3. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Check out cfm-tech.com I have heard a lot of good things about them and I just bought a bunch of stuff from them but have'nt recieved it yet, i will post up when I get everything put on.

4. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

That's just tooo funny. You got those rockies under there yet?

5. Zeitler

Zeitler Registered Member

read somewhere that raising the fuelpressure would increase mpg , but it doesent make sense dumping more fuel in an engine would make you gain mpg..

6. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Not yet. Been busy with the new job and working on the upstairs of the house...

How is school going?

7. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Ehh its going, only about 6 weeks left and then I enter the real world:yikes:

8. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Adding fuel pressure doesn't necessarily add more fuel, just the force with which it comes out of the nozzle... basically, the force of a garden hose through a drinking straw... the garden hose only shoots about 2-3 feet if unimpeded, but if you put all that water through a straw, it will shoot a good 20 feet or more... The same amount of water is coming through the straw as the hose (in an ideal environment) it just comes out faster and with more pressure behind it.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I think your analogy isn't quite right. Sure the hose shoots further, but you are restricting flow (building pressure) to get that to happen. Same as putting your finger over the end of the hose...the amount of water let out is less because you are restricting flow. Sure, that's building pressure, but you've decreased the size of the outlet to accomplish this.

In an injector, the amount of "on" time doesn't change at a given point, and the orifice of the injector doesn't change, so you end up solely with more pressure, which allows more fuel to be injected in the same amount of time.

A better analogy would be turning the water up via the faucet. Pressure and velocity increases, thus so does the total amount of water coming out, at least up to the point when the municipal water pressure is equaled, or the hose flow capacity is exceeded.

10. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

Given the same injector pulse width(how long the injector is open for) Increasing fuel pressure will increase the amount of fuel that is discharged from the injector.

The advantages of higher fuel pressure come from better fuel dispersion from the injector, which leads to better fuel atomization. You can increase your fuel pressure a little bit on a stock system and let ECU compensate for it by means of the O2 sensor, but if you go too far you will be out of the range that the ECU can decrease fuel by feedback from the o2 sensor.

If you have a tunable ECU, or you have your ECU reprogrammed you can increase the fuel pressure to the limits of your injectors and fuel delivery system.

11. Zeitler

Zeitler Registered Member

does anyone know if a TBI engine shuts of the injectors when just coasting down a hill? cuz i know most modern carengines do if the rpm is above 1400 or so..