Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who's put a trans temp gauge on a TH400????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 01maroonz71, Feb 19, 2007.

1. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

well, i've got a TH400 and im trying to figure out how to hook my autometer gauge(electric) to my trans...it's a th400 and don't want to tap in the pan if i don't have too since the only way to do it on my shallow pan is striaght up and down(no good) any body got any suggestions????
    THANKS!!!!

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I put all of my senders inline with the cooler... just cut out a section of the hardline and put in a compression tee.

http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id=products&sid=4&cat=20&subcat=&pid=285

Comes with all the stuff you need. Since you've got a sender and gauge already, you'd just need the tee, which you can get at a decent hardware store.

-- A

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

4. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

I mounted mine on the valve body then ran a wire to the the kickdown plug ( I replaced it with a dual prong) then ran a wire from there to the guage. Best way IMO. Good luck.

5. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Hmmm...I kind of like that idea. Where at in the valve body did you mount it? Im just curious as to what part of the fluid is getting measured. Anyone see any downfall to this? I have never really heard of mounting a sensor in the vb.

6. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

made a bracket and bolted it off to the side of the VB. The sending unit is "actual" pan fluid temp. Also did this to my 700R4 but used the factory plug. There was a spare prong on it.

7. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

ahhh, makes sense now. I was trying to figure how the hell you got a sensor inside the vb. :haha: I like that idea because then you dont have that sensor hanging down off the pan. I have a B&M deep pan and the plug where I can put the sensor hangs right off the bottom. I like the idea of using pan temp too, but everyone has there own place where they like to put it.

8. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I bought an external Filter setup that had a port in it for the temp sensor.

9. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

inline with tranny cooler is a good way to go. simple, cheap, and doesn't really compromise the integrity of anything, like tapping into the pan could. i just stick them as clost to the tranny as possible, in the line coming FROM the tranny. i want to know the highest (roughly) temp that the fluid reaches. i've seen a few in the return line, but that seems pointless to me.

10. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

awesome guys...my dang autometer electric gauge didn't come with a sending unit or anything...so maybe i need to call summit. it was sealed, and had no additional parts with it. hmmm....

11. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

The B&M sender has the same thread as the B&M Trans Pan Drain Plug kit. I can't remember if its 1/4 or 1/8 NPT, you should be able to make something work.

12. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

1/8 NPT is also the size of the pressure port on the drivers side. You could thread it into that port and get the temp of the actual fluid that is working at that moment.