Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who's removed a leaf in the front spring pack?? **UPDATE**

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5Jimmy, Sep 24, 2003.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Who\'s removed a leaf in the front spring pack?? **UPDATE**

I'm planning on removing the very bottom "overload" leaf on my front spring packs so it will ride a little better (hopefully). I know how to go about doing it, just wondered if anybody has had any REAL bad effects of doing this. I know it will drop the height a bit. This is also on my daily driver as well.

Thanks

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: Who\'s removed a leaf in the front spring pack??

How about I just send you my sagged Superlift 6"ers and you can send me your BDS's?

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Im curious what the problem is with the BDSs. They arent a particularly stiff spring... assuming you have decent shocks, whats wrong with the way they are now? just curious. Losing the overload will cost ya a little lift... I could give ya my HD rancho 4" springs for your BDSs. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

4. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Hmmm I must have coveted spings /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

It's not they are really stiff but they seem to be a little stiffer than I would prefer. I have been paying particular attention when I drive to see how much the front suspension rides compared to the rear. The rear seems to provide less bounce or recoil compared to the front. That is why I would like to play with the spring pack just a bit.

Currently I am running ES9000's. I know losing the overload will drop my ride height just a bit but I can live with that due to the fact that I have a touch of saggy-butt.

5. jekbrown

weird... not running an anti-sway bar are you? what shackles are you running up front?

j

6. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Actually I am running the sway bar with ORD discos and ORD's shackles up front too. I've been told to ditch the swaybar but I feel it's a necessity with my DD and the highway miles it sees. I guess I could disconnect it and see what that does.....

7. BADRED73-N-AZ

BADRED73-N-AZ Registered Member

I took out my over load and they are BDS springs but they are 52" rear srings I have up front moved 3" forward they ride very nice I also run rancho 9000 RS. on the steet I run them on 5# to help stifen things up.

8. jekbrown

yeah, u might try runnin it a week without the sway bar (take corners a lil slow!) to see how it works. If that doesnt work for ya, I say go for it, yank a leaf. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

9. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

I took out 2 springs from my front 6 inch rancho spring pack and it rides loads better and softer now. At the same time i did that i disconnected my sway bar. My truck for now is a DD that sees rare freeway time. But it drives great. ANyway need anything else let me know

10. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

I removed my overload on my 6" lift springs to gain flex, i would never do it again. I gained the flex i was looking for, although within a year my 6" springs were closer to 4" springs. just my $.02

11. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I removed my overload on my 6" lift springs to gain flex, i would never do it again. I gained the flex i was looking for, although within a year my 6" springs were closer to 4" springs. just my $.02

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Actually, thats what i was trying to do... lower it from 6 to 4 inches or even 3. and it worked some, i'd like it a little lower and i'm hoping time will fix that

12. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Took the bottom leaf out of my front spring pack and it rides WAY better now. I can definitely tell the spring pack is freed up some now. I can barely notice a difference in ride height but I think it did lower just enough to please me. Just thought I would share.