Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who's replaced a window motor themselves???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 01maroonz71, Jan 29, 2007.

1. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

i pulled the passenger door panel off, and there are 3bolts holding the motor in the lower left corner. but when i undo the 3 bolts....the motor can't come out, and won't budge any direction...am i missing something???? ive searched and searched and i got ALOT of different answers. some say i can do it w/o taking the window out...while other say you have to take the window/tracks out completely. my manual that i have says i have to put a self taping screw somewhere to keep the spring from chopping my damn fingers off....but there are no pictures. any help would be appreciated. thanks alot!!!!!!
    ~Dave

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I find it easier to just take the window out... I swapped power to manual recently...

You need to move the regulator arms around in the bottom window track till they get to the cutouts (short sections of the enclosed track where the rollers can come out..)

There is also a short track for the third roller bolted to the inside of the door... take those 2 bolts out and that'll help free up the regulator...

3. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

awesome...thanks alot man...im gonna go check it out right now...you didn't put some bolt or self tapping screw in it to hold it together?????

4. ryoken

It will only slam when the motor is taken off the regulator.. the teeth of the motor keep the springed arm from slamming..

once you take the regulator out, you'll see... the arm off the motor is sprung, so yes, be careful when removing the motor from the regulator... also be careful as you take the regulator arms/rollers out of the window track, that the window doesn't slam down and break..

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

The regulator has to come out but you don'y have to take the window completely out. Just disconnect the window from the regulator, slide it all the way up and then tape it in place over the top of the door. :waytogo:

6. ryoken

I just find it easier to pop that rear track and take the window out... much easier getting the regulator out the hole imo... But yeah, you can snake it by..

I was a body guy for years, done more doors than I care to remember.....

7. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I get nervous around glass. I'd rather leave it safe and snug in its tracks. :o

8. ryoken

Oh man, I got over that fear quick when I worked at the resto shop.. Musta replaced 100 Mack truck windows... :doah: :haha:

One of my best mods, going manual on the windows... Now I just need to change out the 900 lb tailgate to a truck one... :wink1:

9. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

That's no lie. I have to power-lift mine to get it back in place. Stiff hinges and missing springs.:eek1:

It sure would get awful cold in there without a back window, though... :rolleyes:

10. ryoken

I'm planning on modding the spare hardtop I have to fit a pickup cap back window in.. So I can just flip it up and down... Hopefully I'll get to that in the summer...

11. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Sounds like a plan. Good luck! :waytogo:

12. Tabb

Tabb ROLL TIDE! AGAIN! GMOTM Winner

I just tried to lower the back glass on my k5 last weekend, last time I opened it was back in the summer. Guess I got me a weekend project.