Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who's responsible for that new ULSD cluster &&#&#%$% ?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 86dieselburb, Dec 8, 2006.

1. 86dieselburb

86dieselburb 1/2 ton status

Diesel has risen to $.40-$.60 a gallon more than 91 octane in my area :mad:
    Who's the numbnutts responsible for intiating this stuff? I'd love to express my GRATITUDE. Is it the AQMD or EPA? Anybody have any clue?
    I think whoever it is should be publicly executed.

2. Wishbone

Wishbone 1/2 ton status

I think it's more expensive now because of the the big expense to revamp the tooling to produce it. Look for prices to come back down late winter.

3. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

1990 clean air act, brought to you by USEPA.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

For the past year here in CA Diesel #2 has been at least .60 more than premium, it's mostly because of offer and demand, too many diesel trucks, Light duty that is.
    :o

5. 86dieselburb

86dieselburb 1/2 ton status

Glad I dont live in Sacramento. Here this past year it's been hovering around the same price as 89octane gas, but the past several months it dropped to below 87octane gas prices. Damn annoying. EPA is gonna get a nice F you from me.

6. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

Just wait until you find out that it eats the rubber in some fuel lines. The Cat dealer here told a big customer last week that replacement of the fuel lines should be considered a yearly item now. And all of a sudden I'm cleaning the drainback valve on the N-14 Cummins every time I change the oil.
    George

7. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

when the low sulfer diesel came out in the 80s lots of people had problems with the new fuel because of haw drastic a change it was(say 5000ppm to 500 ppm sulfur). Upgrades were made to remedy this problem. Now, the new ULSD reduces from 500 ppm to 15ppm. not as big a change, so the rubbers that are in the system that have already been upgraded to use the "low sulfer" 500 ppm fuel should be able to handle the "ultra-low sulfur" fuel.

8. bandit4369

bandit4369 Registered Member

Another by product of the ultra low sulphur fuel is lower power and loss of fuel millage. I think Ca. is mandatory ULSD. Just about everywhere else if you have a TA truck stop around, they still have some pumps with LSD at the semi fueling pumps. The pumps are labeled ULSD or LSD. I have a semi with a 550 cat in it and I can definately tell the difference, especially when your buying 150 to 200 gallon a day.

9. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Also, thanks to the reduction in sulfur, the growth of bacteria, fungus & yeast is unchecked..sulfur, being an acid, was a control on those organisms..

As far as where ULSD is mandated, Since june of '06, refineries were permitted a max sulfur content of 6 -8 ppm, or face shut down.. that's all diesel fuel, regardless of intended use, or where it's being sent...truth is, sulfur content at the pump is still all over the map, as far as amount..it really depends on the pipeline the fuel travels through... I've seen some samples of on road come back from the lab vary from 4 ppm to 30 ppm.

I think in some areas, if you are finding a high sulfur fuel, it's because the fuel companies are blending a high sulfur kerosene for winter.. there isn't enough ultra low kero to go around..

really, the key to rememebr is that 15ppm is an upper limit, and not a minimum standard.

Tom

10. bandit4369

bandit4369 Registered Member

Tom, your absolutely right about the fungus and bacteria. I just didn't mention it, as most people don't realize that issue even exists. I've tryed to combat this problem by being real careful about buying good clean, quality fuel and stepping up my P.M. on the fuel system, as I pay the bills on this pig. As far as LSD versus ULSD, I don't know what's going on there or where it's coming from, but you can definately tell the difference.

11. badger red

badger red 1/2 ton status

Is there an anti-bacteria/anti-microbe additive available for diesel fuel? We used a product called BIOBOR JR. for keeping bacteria/micorbes in check in the fuel tanks of aircraft that used Jet-A. How does Jet-A compare to diesel on the sulfur content?

12. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Yes there is.. mine.. ( sorry to sound like an infomercial, but I am a vendor, after all. )..ours contains a 100% active ingredient biological, that remains dormant until it encounters bugs.. it then devours the contaminants, and eradicates all traces of them.. your standard anti - fungus additives kill the orgainisms, and the "dead bodies" fall to the bottom of the tank.. we finish the job by dissolving the remnants so they are harmlessly combusted and don't clog the filter..

As for Jet - A and sulfur, since it is kerosene based, my guess is that it needs to be 15ppm or lower as well..but since they can't make enough of it, I'm sure they're using high sulfur kerosene ( usually 400ppm) if that's all they have..

In the future, you'll see JP - 8 fuel replace jet A.. the goal is to have a "single fuel forward" policy, that is blended to EPA specs, because making a special military fuel is too cost prohibitive.. This will mean using a fuel similar to today's on -road, either made from crude or coal - to - liquid. By the time it's all said and done, every user of diesel will be on the same fuel..

Tom

13. smalltruckbigcid

All of what you are saying is right on but I wonder if using biodiesel is affecting things? Operating in the midwest I get to use lots of it. One story is that its cleaning out my tanks and thats why I'm going through fuel filters so fast. I swabbed the inside of one tank the other day and it came out clean so when does the "cleaning" action stop? Or is it cleaning out the tanks at the refineries and passing all that goodness on to me:whistle:. I really think that its more a microbe problem than most people realize.
    George

14. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Ding ding... you are 100% correct. the fuel itself is a bacteria / fungus / yeast growth factory.. unfortunately, you have quality standards all over the map..

Tom

15. smalltruckbigcid

Quality standards...thats a bad joke. I've been kicked out of a truckstop in Michegan for checking the fuel I was about to buy with a hydrometer. If you call your states powers that be who watch over this stuff (here in MN its the health dept:crazy:) they usually don't have time for diesel fuel problems. Unless it impacts tax revenue, then they have time because thats a different department.

Whats really funny is how the new car makers are starting to push diesel engines for economy and pollution and the average buyer has no idea what is going to hit them when they only refuel once a month and start having bacteria problems. The finger pointing will be insane then. If big oil thinks people are pissed at them now its going to get really bad then. This will be coming after the lawsuits now started about hot fuel. They really have no defense on this one.

Because the engines have gotten more complex their fuel requirements have too. But due to local and federal law there are something like 27 different blends of basic #2 diesel produced for this country. And some of those are hard to set on fire, I've tried. Which makes me wonder how it burns in the engine:screwy:
    George

16. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

maybe that explains why i'm only getting thirteen after new injector nozzles. sorry fuel. how much mileage drop have you been noticing?

17. smalltruckbigcid

Sometimes its a little better. But not usually its more like a 10~15% drop, and I really need new injectors in my truck but at $295.00 each.....
    George

18. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

295 for each injector? what do you have? mine were like $20 each.

19. smalltruckbigcid

Cummins Cat and Detroit Diesel 60 series are all about the same or higher
    And these injectors are electronically controlled which is why they are so expensive.

20. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

My 2 cents:

I think the sellers of gas/diesel have shifted the 'extra cost' of the non-diesel fuel to the price of diesel, simply to keep the whiners (gas consumers) off of their backs.

1)Diesel is much cheaper to produce than unleaded blends.
    2)However, it's very expensive to produce the 40+ different blends of unleaded gas, vis-a-vis, more expensive gas.

3)More people consume unleaded than Diesel.
    4)Those same people b*tch to high-heaven about the price of unleaded too :( .
    5)Diesel starts out much cheaper; shift some cost, everyone becomes more equally screwed :mad: !

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS ONLY MY UNFOUNDED THEORY!