Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WHO'S RUNNIN A ROLLER CAMMED 383?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skyblazer, Aug 5, 2002.

1. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

WHO\'S RUNNIN A ROLLER CAMMED 383?

OK engine gurus, anyone have a smokin roller cam suggestion for a 383? I've got mine torn down due to a bad lifter and an oil leak and am considering a roller-cam. Here's what I have:
    72 K5
    383 with 10:1 hypereutectics/6"forged rods
    Trickflow aluminum heads 2.02/1.60
    Edelbrock performer rpm intake and 1411 carb.
    1.75" primary Tri-Y headers
    SM465 tranny, 3.73 gears, and 33" tires

I'm currently running a flat-hyd. tappet Comp 262 cam. It's got 218/226 duration @ .050 and .462/.480 lift. Runs great, but I could always use more....ya know.....uhh,uhh, power! Would I get enough bang for my $500 - 600 bucks?

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: WHO\'S RUNNIN A ROLLER CAMMED 383?

I'd say go for it....but I like spending other people's money! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

I'm no expert, but I've been hearing and reading a lot about roller cams, and how they really allow for more radical cam timing/lift than you could ever get away with on a standard flat lifter cam. It's not just a reduced thing...it sounds like it also allows the valve to open faster, stay open longer, and snap shut quicker.

I have seen some evidence that on a large motor like a 468, it was good for around 100 extra HP/TQ.....pretty impressive stuff.

If you decide to do it, please followup on this thread...I'd love to hear about your experience!

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I wish I did.

Just going to roller lifters is supposed to yield me another 50 HP and TQ.

Of course, I may not be able to start my motor with my current cam. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I went for low-end torque and good gas mileage.

I get ~440 Torque to about ~2800. With only 310 hp.

You must be getting around 410 torque up to 3800 and ~340 hp up around 4200???

What more do you want?
    you must be a mud runner ehh???

I have found going on the rocks, the last thing I need is more power. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

No, not a mud runner, just want the most out of my engine combo. I need to run some of the cam profiles on the old desktop dyno when I get home. TopOff, are your numbers off a chassis dyno? The torque numbers sound great. I may even go with a lower duration cam because I've found that I drive in the 1500 to 3500 rpm range alot more than the upper r's. I'm wondering if the right roller profile would give me that same wide torque curve, but with better numbers.

5. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

You can get NASSSSTY horsies from a cam with more equalized duration, and avoid the huge lumpy rv cams, in lamens terms: same lumps, just moved around a bit /forums/images/icons/wink.gif and these would be found by asking the person at your local performance shop, aka, race shop. This type of duration does much better hp and torque wise with rollers, mine was too nasty for a crawler so i went to a milder cam, aka, more duration, and i have plenty-o-power, AND**** i have less chance, alot less chance of floating valves when its totally rapped out /forums/images/icons/wink.gif wich i just love to do /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    unless you want poser lump, then just go rv. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

What do you think of the comp cams high energy 268 in a Sbc?

7. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I got these numbers from Desktop Dyno.

I ran the numbers with the Trick Flows and my cam, too.

IIRC - A roller cam in a 383 can get CRAZY in the torque off the line. I think my cam with roller lifters was supposed to be ~500 lb/tq. Crappy hp though.

Of course it is torque that's supposed to get you going.

Now that I have the manual tranny, I wish I got more HP...

I was thinking of changing my cam to a 260. But... I WOULD LOSE SOOOOoooo much Torque in the bottom end. I am not sure if it would be worth it.

I found upping the valves really had small affect... it actually hurt bottom end torque, and only gained ~10-15 hp around 4200 rpms. I figured I would hardly ever hit 4200 rpms.

So basically, your returns on going with a roller are greatly diminished. I figured for a TRUE roller cam, I was looking around $500 - 750! SOOOooo spending that kind of money for what I would gain, it wasn't worth it.

Besides, I really like my gas mileage.

I wish I changed my heads before I put it back together. Before I rebuilt my motor, the very first time I went out, I blew a head gasket. So I have been afraid of aluminum heads.

BTW: I have a WOlverine Blue Racer cam wg1137. This is VERY similiar to the Edelbrock performer cam. My cam has a little less lift .390 (better gas mileage), and the exhaust opens 2 degrees earlier (more tq). I also thought I had to pass smog when I chose the cam. I did have to go to smog 1 last time in 1997. Then CALI passed SB219 no more smog for '73 and earlier vehicles!

8. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

OK, called up Comp today and got all the cam card specs on a Extreme Energy XE270 roller cam (270/276 @.006 and .495/.502 lift). I ran the 270, my cam XE262 flat tappet, and the next step down, the XE256 flat tappet cam on DD2000. The only info I couldn't find today was the actual flow #'s for my heads, so I used the low performance/ported/big valve head profile. Here's what I found:

My cam XE262:
    Torque: flat curve 2k to 4k peak of 450ft-lbs
    HP: peak at 5k of 380hp

Next lower cam, the XE256:
    Torque: same curve with peak at 455ft-lbs
    HP: peak at 5k of 375hp

XE270 roller cam:
    Torque: steady rise 2k-4.5k peak 480ft-lbs
    HP: peak at 5.5k of 450hp

If these numbers are in the ballpark, it looks like I could get alot more torque and power without any compromises with the roller cam(except a bigger credit card balance) and the next smaller flat tappet grind has very similiar torque with a reduction in peak hp. The duration @ .050 on my cam(XE262) and the roller(XE270) are identical (218/224) and the roller cam's intake closes 3 degrees later so I don't believe cranking compression or detonation should be a problem. Anyone have similiar results or see a flaw in my calculations?

9. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

That's a lot more HP over the flat tappet.

I suppose if your heads are ready for .502 lift, your engines bottom end can handle the RPMs, and your actually going to hit 6k RPM (for whatever driving you do) then your set!

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

10. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

CRAP!!! I finally decided to go for it yesturday and my plan has already fizzled. One of the 3 lifter companies in the US has folded and nobody has any hydraulic roller lifters in stock. Jegs, Summit, and all the local guys around here say orders may be backed up until NOVEMBER! So unless anyone out there has a set of rollers stashed away that they are willing to part with, I guess I'll save myself some cash and throw 'er back together with the flat tappets.

11. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Bummer.... I was thinking of doing the rollers too as quite a few of my lifters are bad...

/forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Good luck.

12. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

13. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

Thanks jeffro, that's a very comprehensive list of combos. I downloaded it all for reference. Much easier than diggin through old issues of car craft, hot rod and chevy hp. Now if I could just find some dang roller lifters!

14. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

If you want to search the junk yards i know the vortec 350's had hydraulic roller lifters cause i have a set sitting in my garage.

15. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

With a decent motor already, seems like $600 applied other places might take you farther. Winch, bumpers, lockers, etc could be more important. If you have that stuff, go for it, if not, think long and hard.
    I did go to a roller in my 383, ended up with 425 ft-lb, about 250 horse. it was a comp 256 adv. IIRC. Ported Dart II heads, rpm intake, 9.5 approx compression, headers, etc. The numbers are with a carb on a dyno. Not optimally tuned, just like I took it out of the truck. Of course they're corrected numbers. On the dyno day it turned out about 310 ft-lb with loss due to altitude and atmosphere.
    I now have a roller cam in my 468 also but that was mainly a durability feature, it's a bit hard on cams so now I have a margin for error when it's off camber.

Have you actually found roller lifters? I had to call 18 different shops before I found lifters for my BB this summer. You may not have any other choice than to go with a flat tappet. Supply problems with all the factories..........

16. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

Yup, looks like I'll stick with the flat tappets. I called nine places today with no luck. Zcarczar, I checked with a Chevy Perf. Parts dealer about using a late model roller lifter. No luck there either. He said that the lifter bore is slightly different and I'm not sure how the spider style retainer would mount to the earlier style block. Anyhoo guys, thanks for the help, maybe next time the engine is out those lifters will be available.

17. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status