Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who's running a floor shifter ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by smp, May 10, 2001.

1. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

Who\'s running a floor shifter ?

I want to put in a floor shifter for my TH-350 i am tired of getting crapy engagement on my slopy worn out colum lever. I was looking for a shifter that has a skinny base i was looking at B&M Z-Gate and the Hurst Pro 2 rachet shifter. Anyone know anything about these shifters or have any recomadations ?

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://WWW.SMP.COLORADOK5.COM>http://WWW.SMP.COLORADOK5.COM</A>

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Who\'s running a floor shifter ?

If you want the best go Art Carr

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

3. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

The best cost to much i want to keep it under $150. I just want something that has good solid engagement so that i can bump it, step on it, call it names and it will stay in gear.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://WWW.SMP.COLORADOK5.COM>http://WWW.SMP.COLORADOK5.COM</A>

4. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

My truck came with a floor shifter. I don't think they offered push button four wheel drive in the K5s. [​IMG]

I had a Z-gate in my old Firebird. No, its not the fanciest, but there's nothing wrong with it and it gets the job done. It doesn't have the full ratchet effect like the more expensive models. A nice feature of this, though, is that you can judge what gear you are in by the handle position, as opposed to the full ratchet shifter where the handle is in the same position for 1-3 (or 1-4). I don't know if they offer a truck version, if not you'll want to mount it up on something so you can reach it.

One of my summer projects is to figure out a way to convert my column shifter to cable operation. I too am tired of the slop, and my body shifts around enough that the indicator moves and it gets kicked out of gear. If excessive flex isn't causing your problem, you can tighten up the shifter quite a bit with new bushings, etc.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

5. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

I know this isn't what you're looking for, but I am going to be putting B&M light truck megashifter into my 84 K-5. I have it all assembled, and it feels really nice. you know, if you have some skill, you could probably make a skinny base for it, since it's quite small on the inside. Anyway, this is probably gonna be a drastic improvement from the column POC that I have in it currently. Anyway, remember that those smaller shifters are usually made for cars, so you're probably going to have to do something to make them sit a bit taller, like making a base or something.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://billybob.coloradok5.com>http://billybob.coloradok5.com</A>
    If it ain't leaking oil, it ain't my truck![​IMG]

6. FastEddy

FastEddy 1/2 ton status

I am putting a stock gm floor shifter out of a 86 pontiac grand prix in my 87 shortened suburban, because it flexes enough to pop out of gear, or not allow it to engage properly into park. these gm shifters are famous for stretched cables, etc but this is a budget truck that is just built for off road and MUD so it will do (especially since I'm a wrecker and I have these things lyin' here anyway). I'm going to have to raise it up a bit on some sort of base, but will be a bit limited with cable length unless I can rustle up another cable that's a little longer. just my 2 cents....Ed

7. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Try Lokar, they make floor shifters for trucks, mostly for hot rods so the price may be steep, but they have a good reputation.

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

8. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

smp,

Hey, yeah, I got the B & M Quicksilver shifter on my 75'. I definately love having the floor shifter. I can shift down and up gears easily, with the ratcheting, I there's no "over shift." My 89' obviously has the column shifter and I hate it. When I down shift, I go too much sometimes. Scary.
    Boss
    ps, how much are Art Carrs shifters btw?

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boss.coloradok5.com>http://www.boss.coloradok5.com</A>

9. THEMCGUIRE

THEMCGUIRE 1/2 ton status

Can I revive this link ?

Installed the B&M megashifter today. took about 2 hours because I was being extra careful. It feels very strong. Shifting using a ratchet shifter will take some getting used to.

Install mechanically was Very Very easy. Drill 5 holes, assemble.

easy UNTIL...

you get to the Lockout and Backup light switches. I followed the directions for the Lockout

There are no instructions for the backup light.

I bought this model because it had both the lockout and the backup light.

Scary. It will start in any gear now.

If I move the column shifter to reverse the backup lights work and I have power at the backup light switch on the new floor shifter but the floor shifter does NOT control them yet.

If their tech support is open tomorrow I will call and find out wtf is wrong and post that answer.

10. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

how the hell did you find this thread????

I like my Winters shifter....its so positive in engagement and gear selection it blows the other stuff away....
    I got nothing on your wiring issues...good luck though!

11. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

lokar 24" 2 bend nestolgia in the 4 speed hole with the boot on it . fools so many people when I shift the th400 by hand with it . :haha:

and I don't do nascar . the sticker was on there way before I got the truck body for my truck . just never pulled it off.

and oh my god who is the grave robber around here with this old thread . :zombie18:

lokar shifter midnight 23 006.jpg

lokar shifter midnight 23 008.jpg

lokar shifter midnight 23 010.jpg

12. THEMCGUIRE

Revived thread

I just did a search for floor shifters! :))...

B & M is NOT open on Sat so will have to wait till monday to talk to them unless I figure it out on my own.

Back to work on it!

13. THEMCGUIRE

fixed it

The problem with the neutral safety switch was the the micro switches were too close to the shifter. Adjusted switches away from the shifter mechanism and it worked fine.

Regarding the backup lights. I connected from the Blue wire coming from the backup switch on the column to the micro switch then back to the light green wire going to the fuse block.

Now i can only start in park or neutral and my backukp lights work.