Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who's running a Ford front Dana 60?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nvrenuf, May 29, 2002.

1. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Who\'s running a Ford front Dana 60?

I'm curious about mounting a Ford 60 in a 83 K30 frame. The spring perches on my 87 Ford 60 are approx. 4 1/2" wider than a Chevy 60, what is everyone doing to make it fit? Shorten the long side? The short side is shorter than a Chevy, any problems with that?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: Who\'s running a Ford front Dana 60?

What are you doing about the fact that the pumpkin is on the wrong side?

3. nvrenuf

Well, that's also something I'm trying to work out. I'm working on putting a Ford NP205 or a IFS Chevy NV241 onto a Chevy 32 spline 4spd. Worst case I can fall back on a divorced Ford NP205.

I want to figure out the 60 first because if that wont go then there's no sense in worrying about the t-case.

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Somewhere in the '80's Ford made the D60 front axle perches wider. The older D60's would bolt right in place of a GM D60.

If I were you, I would either sell or trade that D60 you have for an older one with the perches in the proper location so they would bolt right in place of your GM axle.

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Isn't Stephen Watson running a Ford 60? You might ask this question on the ORD board.

6. nvrenuf

Thanks for the point in the right direction! I've put a post out over there.

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Actually I think Stephen is running a Ford center section with GM outers. A little expensive to make but it does keep it simple.

8. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

I want to check the Diameter of the Ford 31 spline input. If it takes the same bearing as the 32 spline GM unit, swap in the GM input to a Ford 205, and redrill the case to accept the GM adaptor. Or if you are going to use the doubler, order it for the Ford case.

9. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

A '78 or '79 Ford Dana 60 both have the spring perches in the right place for a Chevy and they are the open knuckle king pin style. There are also a few from the 80's but I do not recall which years. And to fix the pumpkin problem, if you have the cash, get a Ford np205 with a 32 spline (I believe) input and a GM np 203. Then call Mr. Watson at ORD and get yourself a custom doubler. Walla! High pinion Dana 60 up front and 2:1 or 3.8:1 low range. WooHoo!

10. Hillbilly

Hillbilly Registered Member

Since you already got that Ford 60, I gotta think it's worth atleast 1 1/2 times what a Chevy 60 brings. If it was me I'd sell the Ford and then you have extra $$$ for other mods after buying a Chevy 60. Just my .03$

11. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

John, I have a 78 Ford D60 that has not yet been installed but the spring perches are just right for the Blazer frame. I am building the cross members for the NP203 GM/NP205 Ford (ORD) doubler and if you care to see pictures of the setup go to my webshots album and look at the drive line album. I need to post some up to date photos but just have not had the time. I would look for a different axle but the Ford axles a harder to find and cost a little more. You do get a high pinion and also get the drive shaft away from the starter for more clearance so I thought it was worth the extra effort.

12. nvrenuf

First, I really appreciate everyones input. Once again, this site is a wealth of info!! THANKS!!

Hey Rodzzilla...

Try this, get the size of the bearing surface on the 32 spline input gear and then get the hole size from the case. Once you've got these measurements go to an industrial bearing supply store and get real friendly with a salesperson. See if they can find a bearing that has each measurement you want, this would allow you to put the GM input gear in the Ford case with no mods.

I did this very same thing with a TH400 / 205 combo using a 10 spline 4spd case. A local bearing parts house found a bearing that fit both sizes so I was able to put the female 32 spline input into a 10 spline 4spd case without having to bore the case. It works just fine, like it was original. In fact, unless you measure my bearing you can't tell it's not factory stuff.

13. nvrenuf

Bill, thanks for the excellent info! Of course, now I have to figure out a way to trade someone my 87 axle for an older one. I saw your pictures, I like the clocked t-case assembly - that thing will be nice and smooth underneath!

I do have a Chevy axle so if all else fails I can use the standard set up but since I'll be running a 4spd I wanted the high pinion advantage to make up for the hard front driveshaft angle.

Thanks again!

14. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Stephan is running a Tera 60 Housing with I think Chevy outers....

15. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

and a link suspension so spring perches are not an issue

16. smartpatrol

smartpatrol Registered Member

Bust the spot welds for the tubes on the pumpkin ( heat the housing up. use a press to pull the tube ends out then switch the sides press them back in. Had a freind do that with a ford high pinion D44. works like a charm.