Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whos running an extra capacity oil pan?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5MONSTERCHEV, Feb 25, 2003.

1. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I am thinking of puting an extra capacity oil pan on my Blazer, like an 8 quart Moroso or something of the like. I was curious who has put one on, while it was in the truck, and how hard it was. Thanks!

2. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

My buddy has a Canton 7 quart road race style pan on his 383. It fits, but the sump extends a bit farther forward than the stock pan's sump, so in order to install the engine the engine crossmember has to be unbolted and slid forward, then slid into place and bolted in when the engine's been lowered into position.

3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I have the Moroso 7 quart pan on my '72. Pretty easy to do, after you pull the motor up and remove the cross member. I've done a few granted, but really not all that bad. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    In fact I get to do it again soon as my pump is not producing the "correct" pressure. Guess I'll get one this time with the pickup tigged on.

4. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

I've got a Miloden 7-quart pan that I installed when I built my engine. My old pan was in sorry shape and I thought 2 extra quarts of oil couldn't hurt, plus the gold irrodated (spelling?) coating looked good. I had no problems with the fit, but the oil drain bung is too close to the bottom of the pan where there is a welded seam. The weld prevents the oil plug and gasket from sealing. Another gripe is that the gold finish is not chemical resistant and comes off when I wipe down the pan. For these reasons, I'd go with a Moroso, or similiar pan with paint on it. Oh yeah, don't forget that with a deeper pan you will need a longer oil pickup....Miloden sold one that went with the specific pan.