Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who's running front shims?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DPI, Feb 10, 2003.

1. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Who\'s running front shims?

After mounting my 38's, I have noticed some, what I consider severe road wandering. I have a D60 with cross over steering and the WTO assist 1.5" ram. I think the ram may play a part in the wandering, due to when I try to correct it exaggerates the correction and I have to re-correct the other way. I am running a 4 degree shims on the front axle, but also have the ORD HD shackles. Before I installed the shims, I would have a vibration above 35mph from the front shaft when in 4x4 and don't remeber any wandering, but I hadn't driven it much. I am trying to weigh the cost-benefit of the shims and street manners vs. vibration/possible driveline bind when offroading.

Who is running front shims and who's not? And does you truck wander???

2. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

Re: Who\'s running front shims?

when you put the shims in the front, you removed the caster angle, wich is what drasticly helps the way you truck tracks down the road. you need to get that setting back. and as far as vibrating at over 35, why would any one need to drive over 35 in 4wd for long perionds of time? i say let it vibrate, it has a double cardigan joint, it should be fine as far as the angle is concerned. and just get up to speed in 4wd, and pop it in 2wd.

3. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Your right about driving over 35. That was with out locking in the hubs. Doubt if I ever get to that speed with the hubs locked in not unless I upgrade from the Power Lock to an ARB.

Can 4 degrees of caster effect the road manners drastically enough to be noticed?

I guess another question I have is;
    Are large tires inherently bad about road wandering? Or with the correct caster will wandering go away, even with 42's to 44's?

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i dont know if this means much but...... When i lowerd my truck from 8 inch springs to 4 inch springs in the front, i took out the Shim, thinking i wouldnt need it anymore cuz i lowered it 4 inches, well The Death Wobble came back with a vengence, I put the shims back in and it helped considerably. But my truck still wanders....... But it only wanders when the road im on is kinda rutted out.. and it only happends when im going 45 or over........... by rutted out i mean the highway hasnt been paved for a long time and its getting worn on the edges.

5. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

the vibration you are feeling isnt the drive shaft angle then, i would say it is a cross between the lack of caster, and poorly balanced tires, not to put any one down but 38's dont balance all that well.

6. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I really don't have any death wobble, especially with the WTO assist setup. And I just installed the body washers on top of the spring to increase the preload on the nylon king pin bushing. Did you drive yours enough to tell if it wandered without the shim? Or was the DW to bad to tell about the wandering?

Mine wanders worse when the road is grooved like you are saying. But it does it at low speeds, and maybe worse than highway speeds. Or so it seems...

7. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

It is the drive shaft angle. I meant to say, I would put the tcase in 4hi and leave the hubs unlocked then I would get the vibration. When I put the tcase back in to 2 hi the vibration would go away.
    Yeah, the balancing of the 38s was terrible. My new spare is about 24 oz. out ofter they installed the weights.
    The four tire on the ground are not nearly that bad, but they could not be balanced...

8. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i put those washers in, and put the shims back in like 2 days later, i didnt drive it much.......Check your steering box bolts.. not trying to Discredit your mechanics but i know my bolts came loose once and it starting wandering........

9. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I will have to check those. I did crawl under it last night and had the wife move the steering wheel back and forth to check for any play. I couldn't see anything moving, but I will double check those bolts tonight to make sure...
    Thanks

10. bigbluek20

bigbluek20 1/2 ton status

I had added in 5* shims while researching my D60 Death Wobble. Thought it would be nice because I hated the side to side pitch when turning sharp at a stop (still hate it).

However, without the camber, it definitely took more work to keep it between the line on the nasty Colorado pavement. I took them back out when I changed springs.

11. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

I have 6" front springs, longer shackles, x-over, d-44 and 4* degree shims, no DW, no wandering, maby i just got lucky. But i do have the daul steering stabilizers, that might help also.

12. 86 4door

86 4door Registered Member

how much longer are your shackles? and brand? white-rhyno

13. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the reply. When you removed the 5* shims did you steering improve a lot or just a little? I am trying to weigh the options of leaving the shims in and reducing the pinion angle or taking them out and have better street manners.

14. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

DW is not the issue, I really only had that once with my getto 33"s on it. I have not experienced it since the 36's and now with 38's, still no DW. I also have the WTO Hydraulic Assist steering setup - THE ULTIMATE STEERING STABILIZER!

My problem is the wandering.

To make my K5 sit level, I am running 9" in the rear and 7" in the front. This also decreases my caster in relationship to the ground.

I am going to pull the shims this weekend to see if there is a substantial reduction in wandering. If the reduction is not there, I putting the shims back in...

15. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

my springs are 8" skyjackers.

i had that same wonder that you're talking about, but that was when i had shims. after i removed them it took care of it. i also removed the bottom leaf, so it also dropped my truck some. the pinion angle is not bad and really don't think you need the degree shim at all, unless high speed wheeling is what you do.

i say remove it..

16. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm runnin' 4 degree shims up front....with d60/crossover/ORD Heavy Duty shackle brackets and TCI 6"springs. With the ORD brackets....I was told you loose about 1 degree.....so I'm only shimmed about 3 degrees total...

Since I have the th350....the shortest combo....I had to do a bunch of grinding to the C/V, so the driveshaft wouldn't bind...

I Have NO vibs or wandering, at Highway speeds....I've run-it up to 90 mph too.... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In 4wd.....I've had it over 35 mph....no problems...

It sounds like something is loose.....

I had to replace my ORD bushings on one side...before I did...it wandered a little at Highway Speeds... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

17. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the response. That is exactly what I wanted and needed to hear. They are coming out!

18. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I have checked everything. No steering component has over 500 miles. I even re-set my toe-in last night to 1/4" and that didn't help. The only thing I haven't checked are the ORD bushings that people have been having problems with. Can you tell if there good by looking at them while installed? Or do you have to take them out to check 'em?

19. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

On my truck....it was easy to spot...because it was almost gone....
    but I checked the others by taking them apart...

I'd take them apart...and check for rips or wear in the bushings.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Stephen gave me a set of "Harder" compound bushings... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

20. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

yeah if they are bad you can tell with them installed, aleast with mine i was able to see them cracked.