Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who's running the ORD Doubler - tips?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TopOff, Mar 14, 2002.

1. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Who\'s running the ORD Doubler - tips?

I am converting my Blazer into a two case beast.

Any tips or things I should avoid? I am getting the 205 out of a TH400.

TIA
    TO

2. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Re: Who\'s running the ORD Doubler - tips?

Well, i have a gen II doubler with the stock rotation, the only problem i ran into was that the passenger side mounting lug was in the way of the front output yoke/flange, so i cut it off, cut a slot out of the plate and welded in a new lug the same distance from the driverside mount as stock so i could move the crossmember back under the doubler, then i just fabed up a new crossmember for the 203 with a drop to clear the front driveshaft. Other than that the top three bolts on the 205 take a while to screw in, you can't get a socket or a box wrench on them so i had to use a stubby end wrench and a little patience. Oh and i had to bend the shifters to get them to work perfectly. Bug me in a couple weeks i may have pics by then.

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Dang, can you send me some pics?

I am afraid to do any cross member modifications... I don't think my welding skills, or my welder can do it.

I am looking to get a sm465/203 I already have a 205 from a TH400. What did this cost you? If you don't mind?

TIA
    TO

4. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Look on my member's site, I think page nine or near it. It has pics. If you have any specific questions drop me a line.

5. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Look on my member's site, I think page nine or near it. It has pics. If you have any specific questions drop me a line.

6. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

7. BADRED73-N-AZ

BADRED73-N-AZ Registered Member

I put the double in my 73 and it needed no cossmeber modification I did put a 2nd crossmeber under the adapter . got it at recking yard it was for an 81 blazer i beleve. I also had a 2inch twist on the adapter and my front end is 3inchs forward. also my rig was alredy running a 203 T case so that crossmeber stayed the same.

8. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

You'll end up just under $1K into it. $740 for Doubler, $170 for shifters (that shouldn't have to be modified but obviously they didn't bolt in to one combo for some reason) = $910, add shipping, oil, extra mounts, etc and $1K is pretty much a good number to have available. Past that your driveshafts will be the biggest extra expense.

9. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

WORKING ON MINE RIGHT NOW.

10. Re: Who\'s running the ORD Doubler - tips?

how much lift are you running? when you say 2 inch twist do you mean you clocked it/rotated it up? is that how you got away with no crossmember mods? thanks,

jason

11. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Im afraid that i don't have any pics yet, but as soon as i get some i'll put them up in my album, as for the shifters, i think i had to bend them because of the body lift im running, i think they would've been fine without the body lift. the front cross member i fabbed up out of pieces i had left over some 2" tube, some 2" angle and a chunk of a crossmember, it worked out well, $1000 for parts is about right, then its all the little odds and ends, so figure $1500 for everything, you should be able to get your shafts retubed for a couple hundred dollars, If you were closer i'd say come on down to So Cal and take a look, hell i'd even help you put it in, but i'll try to get some pics up soon.

12. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I am running a 465/205 now.
    Tommorow I am going to see about a 465/203 for $150
    To run a doubler all I will need is the 203-205 adapter right?
    Granted the gen II requires a 205 from a TH400.
    What I am getting at is the configuration.
    465/adapter/203 rangebox/genII adapter/205.
    I have never seen a comlete unit. but that is what all it entails?

13. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Powermad, that's the right order and right parts. The only kink that I'm not sure you have is the 203 needs to have the 10 spline input gear in it. Either get it with the adapter or we have new ones and maybe some good used ones you could swap in another 203. Watch for wear in the input gear, they're a little prone to it.

14. BADRED73-N-AZ

yes i had it rotated 2inchs up as far as my lift i would guess it to be about 51/2 inchs. I think i did not have to modify becuase the 203 that i was running is not much sorter the doubler. also i did put about a 1/2 inch spacers between the frame and the crossmember.

15. Re: Who\'s running the ORD Doubler - tips?

sounds good. so did you have any trouble with your u joint angle at the front pinion with the driveline being 2 inches higher?

16. BADRED73-N-AZ

no I dont have a problem with my driveline angle it being 2in longer actually made it better. although im running a super trick hi angle long travle 1350 saft.