Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who's spray painted/rattle can-d their interior pieces ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by big d, May 3, 2004.

1. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

who\'s spray painted/rattle can-d their interior pieces ?

im in a way where i cant afford the regular vinyl interior paint, so has any one used regualar "rattle can" paint, and how did it turn out/wear ? my plans are dash pad,console, door panels, and headliner trim. i figure as long as the pieces r cleaned real well, what can it hurt ? what about primer ? i may get a dash mat in the future to protect the dash from the sun. any and all input is appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Re: who\'s spray painted/rattle can-d their interior pieces ?

I have though about it, but I would rather use some bedliner to keep them tough and from cracking in the sun, and also so I could armourall them.

Remington

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have used regular spray paint to paint the interior successfully, but the problem is in cleaning it. Make sure when you clean your interior, after a dusty trail ride, you use only water, and do not scrub on it too hard or the paint will come off.

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I cleaned everything with paint thinner and shot it with some Krylon. Turned out pretty damn good...even did the visors...

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Scrubbed mine with alcohol, primer, two coats of color and three coats of clear.... it doesn't last long if you hit with anything sharp. The kick panels in my truck need repainted again, I'm on my second drivers door, but all the headliners pieces are still in good shape (6years in a DD).

Depending on the color you want I would use the Krylon Fusion paint. It goes on plastic, metal, whatever. I think in the porject truck I'm going to use the light tan color and repaint all that stuff.

6. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

You can get rattle cans of primer, paint & clearcoat designed for rubber, plastic & vinyl from a good auto paint / body shop supply store, Before you start, clean everything with a pre - cleaner designed for plastics and rubber. It's a lot of steps to go through, but the paint & primer need to be flexible or everything will flake off real quick.

Tom /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the Krylon Fusion paint

[/ QUOTE ]

I used that on my dash. The semi-gloss black. I got the dash used from 'tazz, but you cant tell now. After prepping it REAL good, I put on 3 coats of paint and 2 coats of clear. It look sBRAND NEW and has for about a year now. I plan on doing all my stuff with it. I'll have less than $25 into a "new" interior /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif