Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who's toasted a powermaster alternator?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ryan B., Feb 23, 2003.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Who\'s toasted a powermaster alternator?

Who's had some experience with a powermaster alternator?
    Who's burned one up? How bout two or more?
    Who's never had a problem with their powermaster alternator and just loves it?

I bought a powermaster chrome 100 amp 1 wire alternator for my blazer and it crapped out in less than a year, i had it replaced free because of warranty. This second one in my K5 has lasted about a year and is still working.
    I put a polished 100 amp 1 wire powermaster alternator in my camaro and that one crapped out in less than a month!!!! I returned it and got it replaced free of charge about 6 months ago. Now it's bad again! WTF!?!? /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    It's great they'll replace them free of charge when the alternators go bad in less than a year like this, but what the hell! Between my 2 rides, I've gone throgh like 4 powermaster alternators in about 2 years.
    Are those alternators crap or is it just me?

2. 4DiggerDan

4DiggerDan 1/2 ton status

Re: Who\'s toasted a powermaster alternator?

Never used one... I have mine built by a local guy.

However, hearing about your experience with them, I don't know that I'd give one a chance now.

How does a 1 wire alternator work??? What excites the charge?

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My first job was at a alternator/starter rebuilding shop. We could build you a over 100 amp alternator for alot less then the ones you get at stores, or mail order. We also carried the crome kits. I highly recomened talking to any local alternator/starter rebuilding shop in your area befor you go spending your hard erned cash.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ryan, the most common reason that an alternator fails is due to a bad battery. An alternators job is not to charge the battery, but rather to maintain the charge that is in the battery. If you have a bad battery this forces the alternator to work EXTRA hard to try to maintain a charge. In doing so this will kill even a brand new alternator in a very short time. Also make sure that all cables are good and with a CLEAN and TIGHT connection and that all grounds are perfect also.

5. Ryan B.

Scott, yeah that makes sense.
    I can't find a reason why the alternators have burned up before, but this most recent one, I was having problems with my truck not starting. To eliminate the alternator, i swapped the one off my camaro onto the blazer for a day. Then i determined it was the battery and replaced the battery the next day right before driving up to 'raines. Then on the way up to frank raines my alternator stopped working.
    I guess just one day with a bad battery will toast an alternator. I swapped back on the original alternator i was running on the blazer the day before and it fixed the problem.
    I've just had real bad luck with powermaster alternators.

6. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I'm on my third Powermaster.
    The first one lasted about 9 months then it started to over charge, The next one lasted about a month, After I put in new 1 ott cables and new duel batterys and this one isn't right either somedays it will show 13.5 volts then other days it will show less then 11v with the head lites and the heater on. I can't find anything wrong, Everything is grounded frame, body, eng. When this one goes south I don't think I will get another one, Well and 4WP won't warranty another one /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Eric

7. Ryan B.

Yeah. You see! You see!
    This is what i'm talking about. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm on my third Powermaster.
    The first one lasted about 9 months then it started to over charge, The next one lasted about a month, After I put in new 1 ott cables and new duel batterys and this one isn't right either somedays it will show 13.5 volts then other days it will show less then 11v with the head lites and the heater on. I can't find anything wrong, Everything is grounded frame, body, eng. When this one goes south I don't think I will get another one, Well and 4WP won't warranty another one /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Eric

[/ QUOTE ]

Another thing to look at is power consumption.
    If you have a huge stereo, lots of lights and have the heater on plus the wipers, sometimes you can tax out even a 100 amp.
    You should check what you have and match it.
    The 87 and up went with stock 105amps, and it barely kept up with the TBI and the stock accessories, if you put a bigger stereo and a set of fog lights you are already far beyond it's limits.
    I am working on a dual setup or one big 200 amp to take up the load in mine.
    Also when you have dual batteries, if you only use your power when the engine is running, it's no different from single, but if you use it while engine is off, then start the engine, it will need to top both off and 2 will suck it twice as fast, it's a percentage of the AH rating and with 2 it's twice as fast, same as a bigger higher AH rating.
    Just my 2cents.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

If you have cooked that many alternators, I agree with others that there is another problem in the system, most likely the battery.

However, if you are running the "one-wire" alternator, there may be another issue to address that would explain why you still aren't getting enough voltage to the system when using lights/stereo, etc. There are 2 tech articles on the M.A.D. Electrical website. The first is related to Remote Voltage Sensing and the second talks about One-wire Compared to Three-Wire Alternators and why the one-wire alts often don't work worth a crap on high-amp systems.

That whole website is filled with really good electrical tech info. Many more good tech papers to read if you are interested.

Happy Reading,

10. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I've got an unknown age Duralast battery and a $65 O'Reilly stock alternator on my burban and I can run front and rear A/C on high, high beams, two 80 watt off-road lights, wipers, Pioneer deck at volume 20 and my subs with some light dimming, but nothing quits. Of course, my guage goes down to about 10, but nothing quits. I do have a ground problem with my Dash fan, it draws too much to be normal, but everything else does just fine and I've toasted nothing. It all depends, I guess. BTW, that $65 alternator has a lifetime warranty on it...if I were you, I'd just switch to stock and leave it that way. As soon as you start putting stuff on, things start going wrong.

11. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

My 100 AMP Powermaster crapped out (quit charging) just after the warrantee expired!!! Never again!! Gimmie a lifetime alternator from Autozone, and if it craps out I can get another for free!!

12. Parf

Parf Registered Member

I'm real happy with mine. I have a 140 amp in my FJ40, and another 140 amp in my Diesel Jimmy. I had to re-clock the one for the Jimmy, but that wasen't hard after I learned about the paperclip hole. No problems at all, and now I don't have to worry about how long I drive my Diesel between starts, the batteries are always charged up now. Love those Optimas, too.
    Check it all out.

13. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Nice work on the duel batterys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I still have days where my 140 will not work like it should and then other days it does. I really should take it to a shop.

Eric

14. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

I've always had good luck with AC-Delco rebuilts (I had one last for 6 years), and if you dig around in the catalogs, I think they have a few over 100A, 1 that's 140A, and I do think they maybe even got a 165A model. I also know of a company that makes a pretty trick alt. that is incorporated on the water pump/wp pulley. I'm not sure how much it puts out, but I'll hunt around to find a link, addy or phone # if anyone's interested. I also ran across someone who had a 2wd Burby that had more electronic equipment then the CIA, and he had a pretty nifty twin alt. setup happening under the hood there, but I had no clue how it was wired.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

1 wire alternators are started when the engine reaches 1200 RPM.