Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who's up for a BC/AB get-together???

Discussion in 'North Region' started by Can Can, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Who\'s up for a BC/AB get-together???

There are quite a few CK5 regulars from Alberta and BC. Unfortunately, most of us haven't met face to face because we all live so far away from eachother, which is a shame. The only CK5er I've EVER met is Rene and that's only because he was passing through town and decided to bless me with his presence...... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anyways, I have an idea. I own 5 acres about 4 hours west of Calgary in the Kootenay region of BC. It's kinda middle ground for all us southern BC/AB folks(and northern Montana/Idaho folks for that matter) and would be willing to host a "North Region" long weekend get-together sometime this summer.

I have lots of room for camping, there's an awesome little swimming lake about 5 minutes away(a big boating lake about 20 mins. away, too), and there's loads of forestry trails to explore within 15 minutes of my acreage. The Kootenay river runs right by the property and the fishing is great!!!

If anybody's interested in trying to get this going post up. It would be great to finally put a face to all those names out there. CK5ers are always welcome at my place. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. rock.monkey

rock.monkey 1/2 ton status

Re: Who\'s up for a BC/AB get-together???

sounds like a sweet idea!

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Party at Paul's place... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A long weekend would be cool with me, and it'd be slick to see a good size group of K5's all in the same place again!

You did tell Kim you were building a mud pit and a boulder garden right? Just borrow the company backhoe and use your imagination a little.../forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Rene

4. Can Can

Yeah, seeing that it's gonna be a long time before I get to Moab to join in all the fun, I thought it would be cool to give us northerners an option that required a little less travel time. Of course, Skookumchuck is no Moab, but there is a lot of mountainous terrain in the area that just begs to be explored.

My neighbor out there is a bona-fide fur trapper, and he knows the backcountry better than most folks around there. I'm sure he'd be able to recommend some trails that could prove challenging to you wheelers. In the meantime, I'll be at the beach looking at all the little bikinis....... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I posted a similar post in the "Rocky Mtn." forum too, in case anyone from Idaho or Montana was interested. Hopefully this will work out.

BTW, I haven't told Kim yet. It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, y'know!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Hey that sounds like great fun, I had already planned on pming members on a long weekend here and there to go wheel somewhere new, so this sounds perfect to me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'm in /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Ya know... I think you are onto something Paul! Id be in for that. Especially if its in the summer! I am sure we could find some challenging stuff to conquer down your way... hehehe!
    Start the planning phase. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mike

7. Can Can

Well I would imagine that we are pretty limited date-wise. I would say the best option would be the August long weekend. The dates would be July 31st to August 2nd. I may be taking my holidays around that time so if people want to extend their stay by a couple of days to make the trip worthwhile it's not a problem......

Does anybody have any feedback regarding those dates?

8. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif August long doesn't really work well for me. Penticton comes alive and the population quadruples for that weekend. It is the only time of the year to be in Penticton. And living here, I gotta represent /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

That and my buddies from the coast come here that time every year. They stay at my place for the weekend. But virtually any other weekend of the year lol.

I'd be disappointed if I missed out but I'd understand if thats the only time that works for you.

9. Can Can

I hear you on the Peachfest thing, brother. I've heard it's a blast!!! I never got a chance to go when I was younger because I was always working 2 jobs and at the time the cash was more important than a party. Heck, I worked door at clubs so the last thing I wanted to to do was surround myself with drunks on my spare time. Looking back, I probably should have sucked it up and joined the crowd- I'm sure I missed out on some lovely "scenery"....... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Well, it doesn't HAVE to be a long weekend but unless people want to try and fit the trip into their summer holidays I can't see another time that would work. July long weekend is fine by me but the weather is a little less predictable that time of year and the lake isn't as warm(most years at least). The problem is, Canada Day falls on a Wednesday this year.......

Labour Day weekend is always good. The nights are cooler and the area is generally a lot quieter by then.

Like I said, it doesn't really matter to me. I'm out there every weekend from around the middle of May until early October, including 3 weeks of vacation. Let me know what works, guys!!!

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Early August is gonna suck for me too.../forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif we have a couple of projects scheduled to be completed the first week of August so we'll be swamped at work.

Maybe labor day would be better?

Rene

11. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking that sounds alright for sure /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'd be down for labour day weekend.

Oh and everything you've heard about the long weekend is an understatement /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

This sounds cool but August long is Xtreme Showdown 2004. You guys should check it out . It;s near Crowsness pass. Great competition, party and wheeling trails nearby at Indian Graves. Another weekend might work for us thoug, I don't have anything planned for JUly long yet or Sept Long yet but if we do make it into TTC not sure what the truck would look like after the fact. Although I have 2 kids who would love to play in water and go wheeling /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

13. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, things are getting a tiny bit closer... looking ahead, I think Labour Day weekend would work great for me as well. As long as it doesnt snow on my tent! hehehe.

I was talkin to a buddy that used to live in Canmore area, and he swears there isnt anywhere to wheel there.?.?
    I see you are talking about another place tho so I will ask him about that area as well.

Hope this will work out! Im lookin forward to it already!

Mike

14. Can Can

Mikey, the property I'm talking about is about one hour south of Invermere on the BC side of the Rockies. Your buddy is right, though- Canmore and everything 50 kms east is strictly off limits to OHVs. I won't even bother explaining why west of us is out of bounds........ /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

15. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

My wife and I are planning a trip out of Denver up to Montana and Idaho to various national parks. We are talking about making this weekend to Canmore (only about 1200 miles from Denver) a part of our trip and seeing the Canadian Rockies.

I think this is a real possibility, though we need a set date soon to plan days off work (Labor Day works for us) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

16. Can Can

Well, that's cool to hear that you'll be heading our way, but the get-together is actually gonna be in Wasa, BC, about 1/2 an hour north of Cranbrook.

FWIW, if you head north through Idaho on the 95 or north through Montana on the 93 you will pass right past my property about an hour and a half north of the border on the 93/95(they meet just west of Cranbrook). From my place it's exactly 2 1/2 hours to Banff, Alberta(2 3/4 hours from Canmore).

Make sure you keep me posted on your itinerary. Regardless of whether everyone is able to meet, I'll be out there Labor Day for sure. If you end up travelling through Canmore at a different time, you're more than welcome to crash at my place, brother!!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

OK well thats even closer. We were looking at traveling up to Banff National Park and other parks in the area. My wife has a close friend from Calgary we are going to consult and are open to suggestions from you and others for the good places to go.

I am really looking forward to this trip (I love road trips!) and definetly would like to visit some fellow CK5 people. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

so is this trip set for labour day?
    right now my scedual is preaty open /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    got to fix the truck a bit first /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

19. Can Can

As of now, yes, Labor Day long weekend looks like a go. I'm planning on getting another post going sometime in mid-July to kinda firm things up.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif