Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who's wheelin', who's building and who's just surfing.....

Discussion in 'Midwest Region' started by gzzgfw, Dec 2, 2004.

1. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

Who\'s wheelin\', who\'s building and who\'s just surfing.....

I haven't seen a bunch of talk here recently about wheelin' and building. Myself I haven't been out since the first of Nov. I'm working on a d60 and 14 bolt, to have ready to for spring. I'm not wanting to go down completely cause there might be some wheelin' to do if we get deep in the snow, although my top and doors are still outside. I am wanting to upgrade little stuff like steering box brace and patch, reinstall my fuel cell since I punctured my new tank last trip out, and flex up the front end a little.

What are you doing this December and January?

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Re: Who\'s wheelin\', who\'s building and who\'s just surfing.....

getting the shop ready, collecting interior parts for the tow rig, and surfing... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Once I get the 4 speed swap done in the crew cab, I can focus back on the offroad rig. I just need to do the rear 4 link (have the rod ends and link material, just need to build the links and mount them), I have a little more steering work to do with the PS pump and have to finish plumbing the hydraulic assist ram which I mounted a few weeks ago (hydro assist with histeer). Then I have finish the tube front end since there is no front clip anymore and I need to find a radiator. Doesn't sound too bad at first but there is still a lot of work left to do before spring.

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

So far this season i have
    1. relocated the shackles up front with 6" on center shackles.
    2. Installed HD greasables from ORD
    3. Fixed most of my wiring nightmares....Sometimes it does pay to work with electronics
    4. Installed a Detroit in my Dana 60
    5. Completed 14FF Disc brake swap and installed adjustable prop valve
    6. Repainted my truck CAMO!!!
    7. Insatlled bolt in steering brace

Stuff on the way that will be done before i drive the truck this winter..
    1. HD greasable bushings for the rear
    2. 2.5" shackle flip. Going to remove the overload.
    3. New shocks.
    4. Installing block heater...just becuase i don't like to be cold when i go to work.
    5. Install new tie rod from SKY
    6. Install crossover and Hyd Assist.(not sure if i will get this complete this year or not)

Rapidly running out of money /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

I still need to open the engine up in the jeep to find out what's wrong, been working on remodeling the house instead of fixing the jeep. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

6. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Was out a couple weeks ago, hope to be wheeling again soon. No building until i get cleared to work again, Doc says im still limited as to what i can do.

7. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Uhhh, let's see. This winter I'm hoping to rebuild the 400sbc to go in the K20, replace the blown th350 in the C10, and fix brake lines and wheel studs on the K5 so I can prepare it to do some actual wheeling.

8. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

I have put a Edelbrock performer intake on my truck along with a new quadrajet carb. Took out the body lift cuz my truck was getting deformed from all the rust and not enough support. i just put my new clutch in and bellhousing, still got the tranny and transfer case to put in. Also finding out how big of a POS my truck is everytime i look at it. Been running into lots of little things but its my first truck and im learning /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Later

9. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I got all the major stuff on the Blazer done. Just gobs of little items to take care of.
    I hope to use the winter for some break in and testing so that when spring comes, I am ready to have some fun!

10. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I'm shooting these days... haven't worked on the trucks other than ordering parts in a couple months. I bought a new gun and started up in IPSC and IDPA shooting matches.
    Trucks are a headache, guns are a stress reliever.

Things to do...
    Silver Blazer:
    Changes gears - have gears and install kits sitting on the floor here next to the computer
    Sway bar drop blocks and find sway bar eye bushings

Project blazer
    New front 52" spring bushings (have), bolt everything together (have bolts and nuts)
    drill out shackles to 9/16" (need a 9/16" drill bit)
    mount and brace 2wd box for crossover (have new/reman 2wd box)
    drop pitman arm, xover drag link, flatops and steering arm are still on James blazer as far as know I need to call him and see whats up... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    Swap 10bolt over to 8lug (have hubs, rotors, backing plates, brakes, spindles everything Except the stuff from James (even have new spicer joints to stuff in the spicer axle shafts)
    Front end is regeared and open diff'd for the time being (sold the mini-spool)
    Rear 14Bff is welded, waiting on me to install the new 5.13's, then I need to order up a set of Disk brake brackets (have the brakes and all that stuff)
    Bolt axles in and have my 35's mounted on the 8lug rims, put tires on axles (buy a bunch of lug nuts)

Then I need to pull front clip off, then the motor and tranny out of the project blazer, buy a clocking ring and clock the 208, new oil pan for the motor and buy a gasket kit to freshen it up a bit. Tranny service including survo and shift kit. Drop motor and tranny in, build crossmembers for belly pan
    Measure and order drivelines
    pull the tub off the project truck, clean up and paint under side, place on new frame, check and replace needed linkages on transmission and bend the transfercase shifter from clocking it
    mount new core support and 4core radiator, slap the front fenders back on and swap in the billet grill (after I buy the full phantom grill and headlight kit for the silver blazer)
    build cage, mount seats and 4point harnesses, replace the steering column, new exhaust, then it MIGHT be close to ready to wheel....

OR! I can go buy $40 worth of ammo and go have fun this weekend and not think about that infernal machine /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

WUS!

i'm building this winter, as i was last winter.

need to:

figure out how to brace the front mounts for my 52s
    find a 73-80 front bumper
    come up with some recovery points
    mount the blazer tank in the bed, modify filler
    rebuild Vortec 5.7
    rebuild throttle body
    buy Detroit for the rear
    install said detrio, 4.56s and disc brakes onto 14FF
    buy flywheel and clutch kit
    install motor/trans/case, install rear shaft
    measure for and order front shaft (if i cant make something work)
    rebuild TBI, install TBI setup
    finish putting interior together
    order crossover and install it
    remove hydroboost, and reinstall factory booster
    and a bunch of other minor misc BS

12. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Right now I'm doing a last few things to finish the engine swap in my blazer. Then I need to do some rust repair on my floor so the seats don't fall through. My goal is to get it driveable before the first big snow, and then have the floor, body mounts, and the remains of the rocker panels replaced by rock sliders by spring so I can safely go off-road. Then the one other thing I need to do is swap in my 14 bolt that's set up for disk brakes, and the blazer should be good to go for a while.

I don't really want to try to list all of the little things I neeed to do, plus all the work I need to do to the C30 and s10.

13. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I am building!

I started off with a SWB Chevy 4x4 frame and have installed my 1 Ton drivetrain, Motor and tranny. I have a '95 S-10 Exended Cab sitting on the frame now, but not mounted. I used 56" rear springs flipped backwards to get a wheelbase of 122". The doubler will allow a completely flat bellypan which should help in loosing some of my breakover angle.

I have 42" IROK's ready to mount on my beadlocks.

After I get the cab mounted, steering hooked up and motor fired, I will take it over to Steve Frisbie's shop from Missouri Offroad Outfitters for tubework inside and a roll bar for the rear. I plan to install bedside skins that are narrowed in the rear. I have PRP racing seats to mount to the cage, planning on getting an Art Carr shifter, making my TH350 reverse manual valvebody with engine braking and will have CNC cutting brakes.

Should be a fun ride!

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I'm waiting until I have a place to build.

Full float 35 spline 4.88 9" with MW spool in the rear

Probably gonna keep the 10 bolt up front, just regear

Crossover

4"BDS up front, 6" out back

King Bypass up front, ?????? out back

Custom bumpers with winch up front

Roll cage

Seats

'Glass fenders up front, might with the quarterpanels

New paint

208 with fixed yoke

Reverse manual valve body for the 700

Engine, don't know. Want some HP, but it costs; may just rebuild what I have, maybe 383.

15. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Just surfin for now... hope to get another rig soon. :-/

16. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Building now.

Picked up a 14blt ff and am rebuilding it with a detroit, and when thats done, I am installing skys shackle flip and 2" TC springs.

Plan on being up and running for the snow blind in feb!

17. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

Well my rig should be moving shortly. Ill fill in for my friends tho. The 83 longbed is operational but has to wait for his title. The 79 Blazer has the trans and transfercase in, needs 1more u-joint for the front driveshaft then he'll be moving but not fully operational. The kid with that jeep thing is installing his front gears and lockers, and putting a 4.0ho head on his 4.2. So we'll finally all have working trucks/jeeps!

Later

18. k10clown

k10clown Registered Member

K10Clown's Truck:

1978 Chevy k10 Longbed Pickup 4x4.
    14ffbolt rear
    dana 60 front
    hopefully 500ci caddy motor
    turbo 400 trans
    203/205 doubler
    custom roll cage in cab and tube bed in the rear
    38" Boggers

This is my wish list. I do have some of the parts already. Hopefully by the summer it will be done. I will post picks of the build up. I live in Michigan so this will be a mud truck.

19. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I took my rig over to my Dad's shop...he's making a bikini top for it..
    When It comes home...in a couple weeks..5.13's are next..
    Then 56" rear springs...with my anti-wrap set-up.
    Also i'm building a np 205 with the ford front output...and building new shafts.
    1350 c/v and 1410 rear...made out of 1/4" thick DOM..

So....what's your plans...this spring/summer???

I want to run some tougher trails...I'm getting bored...
    Tellico and Paragon...are on my list this year...
    I wanna run Slade...and some of the other parks in Kentucky.

I'm looking to hang with some full-sizers..that aren't affraid to get extreme. [​IMG]

20. fordcummins1

fordcummins1 1/2 ton status

Im going wheeling at Badlands on New Years Day, snow or shine, Im gonna be there with the Mog. Got a few more tube pieces to bend for the cage with the new JD2. Rickson 19.5s still have to get mounted on the tow rig and there is always one more thing to get done, but either way Im going wheeling Jan 1, I cant think of a better way to start the new year.