Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whose 350 has the most power?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Sep 7, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

Ok, I'm trying to decide if i should build up my 350 or start a 496. I'm trying to see how much power ya'll are making out of your 350s and if anyone has anything better than the 73-87 site has. (they haev an article about muild my exact crate engine)

Here's my list of pros for the 350 and 49
    350:
    Already have it
    Awesome engine
    not going to need any block machining
    widespread parts
    high-rpm HORSEPOWER (i do muddin mostly)

496:
    Will be out of truck on a stand, easier to do work
    can avoid stock parts from the start
    more potential

BUT

for the 496 i'll have to have boring, and many new parts, all new crank, rods and pistons, definitely camshaft

If i did the 496 I'd get the block from a yard and that's it, maybe heads too. But here's what i'd get

FORGED STEEL CRANKSHAFT 4.500'' Stroke, 2.200'' Journal, Internal Balance with center counter weight $894.99

FORGED I-BEAM RODS BB-Chevy 6.135'' Bushed $389.99

FORGED DOME TOP PISTONS 12.1 Comp 4.500'' Bore $582.99

ALUMINUM ROLLER ROCKERS 1.8 Ratio, 7/16'' Stud $219.99

CHROMOLY PUSHRODS AND HYDRAULIC ROLLER LIFTERS $135.99

jegs froze- the rest would be a single plan intake, a 310ish camshaft, and a 900cfm carb, and some new valve springs.

ok i think that combo would be good for close to 600horspower.

or i coudl do it 73-87 style and pull about 400. what do you guys think?
    and what do you guys have in your 350s?

Thanks,
    Bowtie

2. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

buy a 502. yea i know they cost too much. for the money build your 350,i've seen 1100 HP on drag cars.and like you said parts are everywhere. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I'd say, get that transmission in first. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Oh, and I would go with a 572.
    -Harrison

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

No replacement for displacement.

5. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

I pull about 450hp/450tq with my 350... 30 overbore, lightened crank, hypereutectic pistons, trick flow heads, 2.25" exhaust, full roller rockers, xe268 comp cam, edelbrock air-gap intake. power band is a little high starts around 2500rpm but runs up to around 5500rpm. I do mostly sand/mud/street myself so its perfect for me. good lumpy idle but not lopey. good vacuum for brakes and tranny and whatnot. and I still get around 10-11mpg with mixed city/freeway driving.

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

FORGED STEEL CRANKSHAFT 4.500'' Stroke
    FORGED DOME TOP PISTONS 12.1 Comp 4.500'' Bore $582.99

[/ QUOTE ]
    How much do you know about big blocks? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif A 4.5" stroke combined with a 4.5" bore is a 572ci motor. A stroker 454 is what most people know as a 496 and it has a 4.250" stroke combined with a 4.310" bore( 454 block 0.60 bored over.) There is soome other combos that make a 496 but require a merlin or dart block and are more high rpm combos.

----------------
    85K5 3/4ton, 14boltFF,10bolt,9"lift,35" boggers,16.5x14 welds, big horse 406SBC/700R-4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mine cost 3,500.00 puts out 425hp at 4000 and 490 lbs at 3500 gets 10 miles to the gallon and I run 4.88's with 35's and no overdrive. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. BowtieRed

i clicked the wrong ones and was just thinking off the top of my head. sorry, i've figured it out. it was late too.

9. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

12:1 compression...you gonna run some race gas or what?Personally, I would find a GenVI block, bore it as needed, get a 4.25" Eagle ESP crank, 6.385 Eagle ESP rods, Weisco or SRP forged pistons that would yield ~10:1 comp., a roller cam with about 245* duration at .050" on the intake side and like .600" lift, decent factory hydraulic roller lifters, Chromo pushrods, Comp ProMagnum roller rockers, Edelbrock Performer RPM heads or AFR heads and a nice aluminum single plane intake...

That eould yield a pretty nasty BBC at high RPM.

I say go with the aftermarket head b/c you will need to do A LOT of work to a stock head to feed 600hp at 6500rpm. I had a set of 049 heads I was goona hop up...The machinist quoted me $3000 for deck, valve job, hogged out for bigger valves and a serious port and polsih to feed some ponnies...NO THANKS...thos aftermarket aluminums will make stupid power for around $2000

Chris

10. rjfguitar

yep, I noticed that 12.1 also. Helps make extra power but not worth filling up at the airport.

------------------
    85K5 3/4ton,14boltFF,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14 welds, big horse 406SBC/700R-4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

11. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My 350 makes 1000 horsepower.

.... Its just de-tuned right now and i took the 700 shot fogger setup off. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. rjfguitar

you'll be picking up pieces of that motor if you hit that 700 fogger system, never heard of a fogger that big, probably because it scatters the motor all over the strip. thats way to much bottle for a big block not to mention a small block.

-------------------
    85K5 3/4ton,14boltFF,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds, big horse 406SBC/700R-4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

13. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I was only joking... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I saw this import supra at a local car show that people were telling me that he had 1000 horsepower..... It was just de-tuned right now... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I thought that was pretty lame, and see above for my response about that... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

On another note... I think they have up to 1000 HP fogger setups. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    I was talking to the owner of this car: http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RQDPAvoTqKZjbEEIvp!VJvIm*zOjfhn!dhuSZ6RAGVju4T0Y*5KdADnJ65vdfjz5tsmI6Y3Fjz9pEzT2NVHEmzKYwWaHVSqGMGzQPVrWp2g/18.jpg
    He told me it had 705 cubic inches, 1000HP on the engine, another 1000+ HP shot on the bottle. Street legal 7 second car. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif :

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That's completely insane looking.

15. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

Ok, if you are going to go small block, a 383 would be the way to go. Reason I am saying this cause the 383 has awesome low end torque if you are going to go in a 4 wheel drive truck. Build one to run on pump gas and have low enough compression so you don't ping it to death. Also if you go this route, balance the rotating assembly, that will save the short block from self destruction also free up some horsepower. Just my .02 cents /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

The last 350 I built had 491 HP and 434 Torque. All it took was $1500. Gotta remember though, you want tourque more than horsepower. Of course alot of both is good too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. rjfguitar

thats crazy, I have never seen a fogger that big, I have seen plenty of motors scattered all over the place from the pro shot 500

18. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Good Lord, the automotive equivalent of my annual salary is sitting between the front fenders of that car! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif That must be one of those "mountain motors" that IHRA Pro Stocks used to (and might still) run. I seem to recall reading a few mag articles in the early 90's about them; IIRC 1000hp on the motor is actually somewhat "tame" for one of those beasts... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Anyone else notice the use of two thin radiators side-by-side as opposed to one thicker rad?

19. BowtieRed

actually, in my case i want HP because i need wheelspin as i do mostly muddin and would like to turn my soon to be 44s with 5.13s wide open in 2nd or 3rd through the mud

20. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

That is my point. Torque is how much turning force is applied to the tires. Which is where it gets its name, like when you torque a bolt. Horsepower gives you top speed, which I hope shouldnt be as important with 44's. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    For example, in dragracing, horsepower is directly related to the top speed of the car going through the traps(there is actually a very accurate math formula to calulate horsepower). Torque is what gets the cars there in a certain amount of time, from the turning force accelerating the tires. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I see what you are saying about high RPM power for mud, I also go mudding frequently. Trust me, you will see a much better increase in performance if you dont worry about horsepower and just try to get max torque at whatever RPM you are gonna run in the mud.
    This is why people build stroker motors, the longer the stroke, the higher torque monster the motor becomes. This is why diesels are so torquey, they have a huge stroke and smaller bores. Going to a 496 like you want to is only increasing the bore a 1/4", but it is increasing the stroke by a 1/2". Voila, more torque, more power to turn tires.