Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whose been to Big Bend?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by BlazerGuy, Mar 8, 2004.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I want to go there sometime before I go into the USMC(Aug). So what should I do there? I plan on staying at least a few days if not more and I want to camp in the middle of nowhere. I would like to take my K5 but I'm not sure it would make it out there and no one else would ride with me! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks...

2. txtough

txtough Registered Member

My wife and I make frequent trips out. We often sleep in the Burb on one of the backroads where camping is allowed. You have to make reservations to stay out in the back country. Our favorite spot is the first camp area when traveling from West to East on the road along the river. It has a great overlook and a tree (some places are real bare). Most of the trip can be made in a regular 2WD as it is mostly packed dirt and sand. The only bad spots are the steep areas and some endless washboarded areas that you think will never end. IF you go stop in the town of Marathon (Mare-uh-thun so they'll think your local)and eat at the restaraunt connected to the Gage hotel its great. You'll love this place and dont forget Big Bend State Ranch down the raod is also a great place to stay