Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whose Doubler to Use? ORD vs WMS vs NWF

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by okie k5, Sep 28, 2005.

?

Which Doubler did you use?

1. Off Road Design

68 vote(s)
    51.1%
  2. Northwest Fabrications

54 vote(s)
    40.6%
  3. Wagoner Machine Shop

11 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. okie k5

okie k5 Registered Member

So I am looking into getting a doubler in the next 6 to 7 months. I will be running an SM465 and 1 ton's with 4.56s. I have a TBI 350 and I doubt I will go much bigger in engine. I am looking for people who have had experiences good, bad and indifferent with the different companies making doublers. THe three I know about are Off Road Design, Northwest Fabrication, and Wagoner Machine SHop. I am looking for best overall kit/package and best bang for buck knowing these two may not be the same. Let me know what you have thought about your doubler and the company that made it.

Thanks

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

The ORD Doubler is fine if you can do their 32 spline input thing; I seem to recall that NWF is more flexible on configurations. EDIT: Just re-read their page, and it looks like they have some of the same limitations, but you can re-clock their adapters. The ORD plate is one piece, and if you want to re-clock later on, you're out of luck.

ORD also only makes them in batches, so they may or may not ship for some time after you order. I lucked out and got mine within a coupla weeks and the triple stick a week or two after that, but I've heard of folks waiting a couple of months. Another smaller vendor may have more time or may keep more on the shelf. They (ORD) are also very busy, so you had best CALL them, as email and PM's can take a looong time to be addressed. Again, a smaller vendor may be better able to support you if you have questions.

I happened to have planned specifically for the ORD Doubler, so I had the '203 to match my tranny and a '205 with the right input, specifically built for this purpose. It all bolted together easily, though the instructions were near worthless. (I'm a visual guy and the pictures were just too vague.) The Doubler piece itself is a work of art, CNC :pimp: and using the stock crossmember pattern was an added bonus.

Were I to do it over again from scratch, I might or might not go ORD, depending on what parts I could scrounge.

My .02.

-- A

Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
  3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I would not go with ORD for a doubler if I had the chance to do it all again. The clockability of the NWF kit is awsome as is the sealing (ORD is a permetex only). I want a flat belly now but am limited to the 2" rotation only. With a NWF kit I could move the 203 90* and move the 205 up another inch.

4. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

Stazworks also makes a doubler kit. It does not list one for the chevy but a friend of mine bought one for his blazer.

5. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

I caught the NWF doubler on sale when they were doing there moving sale. That was a big reason on my part. Plus the other advangtes already mentioned above made it even that much easier! :D

Downloaded the instructions off their site and they were very easy to follow. Great product and great customer service, Kyle is a great guy to deal with. I'm very happy with it so far, just need to get the rest of the truck finished so I can test it out!!

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

X2 Kyle is all about customer service, best vendor i have delt with !!

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Do I get a vote? :laugh:

If you're sealing our adapter with permatex, you're doing it wrong, you need to use the gaskets set, especially on the 205 front face, otherwise you'll have about a .030 gap. That gasket is really important since it's a specific thickness.
    At this point the most common adapters are often on the shelf, but with 25-30 variations available, we don't keep them all. Months of wait are definitely a thing of the past.

Holy Cow, I never thought we'd be considered the "big guys"! I guess these days if you have a shop and it's your day job you're a big guy. I'll take it!

8. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I went with the ORD kit and really liked it; sold my whole setup, I would of kept it if I ordered the adapter to lay the two cases flat.

9. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The 203 doubler adapter requires RTV to seal not the 205 side. IIRC kyle has a large gasket for the 203 side.

10. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

My ORD Doubler kit came with a gasket for the 203 side and I have since bought aditional gaskets from GM for spares (only because it's an odd gasket, no sealing problems).

I'm very pleased with my ORD Doubler kit and shifters, the fit/finish/machine work is supurb! Also, I had no delay issues with my parts - they showed up within 1 day (early) of the promised time. :thumb: to ORD!

11. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Same here I have installed two of them now. Great product and support if needed.

12. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Maybe I just got an oddball one. My shifters came with the wrong parts for a TH350, no seal for the 203-adapter interface, it took almost 2 months to get the doubler and about another 2 months to get the shifters figured out with a decent amount of the run around. This was a year ago and maybe things have changed. I know kyle at NWF has always helped me out here and on PBB even though he knows I don't have his products.

13. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would go with ORD. They sell great products. I have many parts on my rig of theirs and have had no problems.

14. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

first off props to ORD they k#ck a$$. i have purchased and currently use many of the products they sell. i purchased a doubler kit as well as transfer cases from NWF. kyle is great to deal with. the truck project (HELLBENT) is close to driveable so actual offroad flogging is still to be tested :dunno: wether the multi piece adapter will hold up is the question?

15. RampageFSJ

RampageFSJ 1/2 ton status

Anybody got a site for Wagoneer Machine Shop? I haven`t heard of them.

16. bridgeguy

bridgeguy Registered Member

Wagoner Machine

Not too much on the website (never heard of them before the poll) but if you click on the "Specials", the doubler is the Oct 2005 special.

Now, I just wonder what else you'd need to buy in addition to the $500 to complete the unit? :thinking:

17. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

All the options should be good choices. Wagoner Machine hasn't gotten any votes yet but if you have seen anything they build you will know that it will take the abuse. They build some heavy duty rigs and flog the hell out of them. NWF would be my personal choice. I personally am not a big fan of ORD from past dealing with them and experiences close friends have had with them.

Harley

18. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

We're still working on getting the new site content up. You could have at least put the link up with the intro, everybody likes a little music :D LOL

The $500 special is for everything you see in the pic.

[​IMG]

It doesn't include shifters or case's. The price also includes clocking of your choice. You call us up and tell us how you want it clocked, we'll make it to suit and ship it out.

If you've got any questions, just call us 918.482.2669, we'll be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

KP

19. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I went with the ORD kit because it was so easy to do one stop shopping with shifters and adapters. Stephen was GREAT to talk with on the phone and answered all of my questions with good solid answers that were not biased towrds his specific products. I am VERY happy with the quality of fit and finish of my ORD parts and my order came in exactly when I was told it would.
    I also have ordered some parts from WMS too and have been real satisfied with what I got . Casey was fantastic to talk with and just like Stephen( of ORD ) did he answered all of my questions in great detail.
    I would recomend ORD and WMS based on my dealings with them both - they are both GREAT !!!
    I can't comment on NWF because I have never purchased anything from them but I have heard good things about them as well.
    Tom

20. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

I also took advantage of the moving sale at NWF. I am very happy with the products that i got from them. Everything fit perfect and all the parts were included. I got the doubler kit,205 and the shifter kit. It all works great. Offroad it works great. I am only running 4.10 gears but it makes a big difference with the doubler.

Thanks goes out to Kyle and Jordan at NWF!!! :D