Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whose seen these tranny's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CaveBlazin, Jun 21, 2002.

1. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Whose seen these tranny\'s

SM318/SM326/SM330/T-89A/T-150 3 spd. (2.47-3.50:1 First Gear)
    Whats the story with these trannys and how do you tell them all apart? And are they any good. Ive got a buddy who thinks he has one and was curious how do you tell which is which.....

2. CaveBlazin

Re: Whose seen these tranny\'s

37 people so far and none have seen or know anything about these transmissions WOW these must be rare and ancient...

3. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

They ran a T-150 in a Jeep that I know of. The others?????

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep, I saw that you already have the ultimate 4 spd, didn't figure you needed any help in knowing what is good ; )

5. CaveBlazin

Don't know if you guys know but these transmissions come stock in alot of K5 Blazers but how do you tell which one you have. O yea and your right Dorian I do have the good one and wont let it go my buddy wants it but he's gonna have to go else were to get it. hehehehehe

6. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    SM318/SM326/SM330/T-89A/T-150 3 spd. (2.47-3.50:1 First Gear)

[/ QUOTE ]
    My 77 has one of them because it shifts on the column, but heck if I know how to tell which one it is. I would assume the SM trannies would be the most common being they are Saginaw trannies. I would be interested in finding out more about the one I have too.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

They're pretty rare in K5's and highly UNdesirable due to the lack of a granny low gear. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I think that the 3-speed tranny was the trans that came on a totally stripped, no-options K5 back in the early days. But most seem to have come with either an auto trans or a 4-speed manual instead. I've been messing with K5's since around 1976 and I've never even seen a 3-speed manual trans in a K5! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

I did a Google search on the SM318 and came up with a list of transmissions for some pretty old trucks at: http://home.cshore.com/djcvjc/1955-59gmcguide.html Looks like a pretty ancient design! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

The oldest shop manual that I've got is for 74's, but it doesn't give models numbers for the 3-speed manual. It just says that there was a Muncie version and a Saginaw version.

8. CaveBlazin

Thanks for the info I could'nt get the link to work but thats ok. My buddy has a 84 I think and he has a 3 speed thats why we are trying to figure what kind it is it's pretty crappy....

9. dyeager535

At least in '82, there were only aout 3 manual trannies available for the whole C/K line. A 3spd HD, a 4spd HD (although I *thought* the 3 spd was considered even heavier duty) and a "car" tranny, which looks like a 4 spd Saginaw to me.
    I'm not looking in my service manual, thats just what i remember, I've seen exactly *1* "car" tranny equipped truck (4wd with 208 at that!!) in my 'yard excursions, and have only seen a few column shifted trannies...

I doubt if GM used more than 5 different manual transmissions in these trucks from '73 on, but I guess on the 1st gens, there was a bigger selection of bad trannies to choose from lol : ) Besides, at that time, you could order just about anything you wanted, instead of being forced into the "package" deal like the later ones. (two tranny choices, woohoo)

10. CaveBlazin

Anyone got pics of a saginaw trannie cause Im confused with the wording is it the brand or what????

11. dyeager535

I use "saginaw" as the description for the light duty car 4 speed. Time was, you could only get either a Muncie 4 speed, or a "saginaw" 4 speed, which was the weak one. (light duty I'm sure GM called it) Anyways, the saginaw I'm talking of uses a cast iron case, with external shift linkage.

I'm sure the generic terminology doesn't help, but thats just what I know them as.

12. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

SM? thought they were muncie.....?
    maybe i am wrong...
    maybe its saginaw muncie....
    i dunno
    grant

13. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

"Saginaw" trannies were made by GMs Saginaw division, same division that makes steering gears and pumps. Most of the column shifted 3 speeds were Saginaw trannies. As others have noted, there was also a Saginaw 4 speed used in some applications.