Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

why 2wd gear box?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wfo163, Jul 23, 2003.

1. wfo163

wfo163 1/2 ton status

Someone told me the 2wd gear box turns the opposite way of the 4wd. Is this true? Seems to me that they turn the same way and just the pitman arm is different. Some inputs on this would be great. And whats the sector shaft?

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

They turn the same way. The 2wd box is just desireable for crossover applications cause you can index the pitman arm in 1/4 increments. Whereas the 4wd box you only have 1 spot to put the pitman arm on.

The sector shaft is the shaft that the pitman arm bolts up to on the box.

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I went and made a 4wd dropped pitman for my crossover with the arm indexed dead center, front to back. The arm will only move 45 degrees in each direction so it keeps an equal turning radius. With the arm indexed more one way or the other , you would tend to loose turning radius. For crossover applications, switching to the 2wd box is usually a less expensive aproach and provides more options on parts since you can index it front to back rather than side to side (which cant be done with the 4wd pitman). While the 2wd box does allow you to index the pitman arm in 1/4" increments, its more of a bandaid with the axle in the stock position for correcting bad steering geometry. Where that could be useful is if your axle gets relocated forward a considerable amount and you need to align the arm perpendicular to the opposite steering arm.