Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

why 3/4 ton not 1 ton brake conv on 14BFF

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mini_mull, Mar 18, 2005.

1. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

I was just wondering why I've only ever seen disc brake conversions for 14BFF using 3/4 ton rotors and calipers and never 1 ton rotors and calipers. Seems like if you had a D60 up front, you'd want the rear to match (I've seen a write-up for changing the D60 to 3/4 ton brakes, but why would you ever want less brakes?). Maybe there's an obvious reason that I'm not aware of that makes putting the 1 ton version on more difficult, or maybe it's just that no one makes brackets that would work? Can someone clue me in?

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Cheap, easily accessible parts - that's it.

It can be done with D60 stuff easier than most people think, the only hold up is cost and availability. I did it with my D70HD that's going in my K5, I may do it on the 14 bolt in my crew cab at some point.

3. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Did you fab up your own brackets, or did you buy them from someone?

4. nvrenuf

I used D60 caliper brackets and fab'd a new flange for the housing. I have some pics on my web site, there's a link in my sig ("My Trucks").

5. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. Nice website, and truck, WOW:yikes: it's a monster. Sweet crew cab, too. Also, I feel silly for asking, but what the heck, there's no way to put an ebrake on is there? I proably won't be be getting a driveline ebrake for a while since I have to do the axle swap, lift, wheels/tires, transfer case swap, SYE, and a CV driveline before I could even get an ebrake to fit my setup. And since it would be on my DD I probably "should" have one, so I have to ask. Thanks again.

6. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

i think it would be overkill anyways. most of your brakign power comes from the front i thought.

7. nvrenuf

Yep, the e-brake is the draw back. At some point I'll probably get the HAD e-brake lit for my K5.

The whole e-brake issue is why I haven't already done this to my crew cab. In the end I'll probably try to get a rear disc/e-brake set up off of a really late model 14 bolt.

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

my truck i had was 60frt and 14ff rear with 38" tires and panic stops what were those? it would stop great and it tiped the scales at 6500lbs. didnt think that was to bad at all for me.

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

The reason they use the 3/4 ton or even 1/2 ton (same calipers) for the rear is that you only need a little amount of braking in the rear, you have to use some kind of proportionning so you don't lock up the rears and that is with the small calipers, that is why no one goes for bigger.