Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why a 2 bolt main on the ramjet 350?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by koldsimer, Dec 31, 2005.

1. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

So i'm probably going to be getting a crate motor this year to replace my good ole 400. The ramjet 350 seems like a good choice all things considered, I just can't figure out why they didn't put 4 bolt main caps on it? I'm sure there is a logical explanation..... I mean, damn near every chevy crate motor i've ever seen was a 4 bolt! What gives?

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

2 bolt mains can reliably handle around 600hp.....so it's alright. Oh....and they're probably cheaper to make.

3. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Givin the choice most of us will take the 4 bolt but in reality a twobolt is just fine till you get past about 450 hp.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

4 bolt is just insurance , and for endurance . Most of us will nevr see the need from stoplight to stoplight , or from trailhead to end .

5. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

well ovbviously if its only got 2 bolt mains it only needs two bolt mains... 4 bolts are more about insurance and hard endurance, for what you're gonna use the engine for it wont matter.

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you're that worried about it you can always disassemble the engine and have a machine shop machine it for splayed 4 bolt caps which is then stronger than a factory 4 bolt block. In all seriousness though a 4 bolt block for most of us is nothing more than bragging rights.

7. koldsimer

I hear everyone and really I kinda knew that it was overkill for a stock ramjet 350. It really is just bragging rights more than anything. I guess I just have a hard time understanding why they wouldn't put them in when almost every other 350 crate motor has them. Thanks for everybodys input! I'm leaning pretty strongly towards getting this motor rather than the HT383 with a q-jet.

8. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Interestingly, the GM Goodwrench 250HP 350 long block engine sells for less than $1,300, and it has a 4-bolt main block:

http://www.greenwoodchevy.com/engine14.htm

The 3yr/50k warranty looks pretty good. So does that price, if someone already had an induction system, and was looking for an improvment over their tired 305 or 350 smogger engine. A cam would do it wonders, and the heads could be better, but a lot of trucks don't get wound up too tight anyway.

If you had another $1,100 to spend (~$2,400), and you didn't like those heads, this one gets you to 330HP with help from a better cam and iron Vortecs:

http://www.greenwoodchevy.com/engine11.htm

9. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Ive always wondered if my motor is a 4 bolt main, is there any way of knowing without taking it apart? Its the original 350 in my 73. Did certain years come with 4 bolts or does the year not matter?

10. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

Actually I was talking to the parts depo at my local chey dealer, and they told me the ram jet 350 IS a 4 bolt main, and that there is a miss print in the catalog..?????????????

11. 1985_K5_Silverado

The casting number of your block (back of the block, near the bellhousing flange) would probably be a good place to start, if you could run it by a real Chevy guru, or you could match that number to this table:

http://www.nastyz28.com/sbchevy/sblock.html

However, a small minority of those casting number blocks could have either 2 or 4 bolt mains. For example, casting 3970010 was used in cars (including some corvettes) as well as trucks, and could be drilled for 2 or 4 bolt caps. Dropping the pan would be a sure method, of course.

Sometimes, makers gave even muscle cars iron (nodular or not) cranks, but put forged steel in some of the trucks, because FS is expected to handle low-speed lugging better.

12. 1985_K5_Silverado

That wouldn't surprise me at all, considering that it's priced in the middle of a bunch of 4-bolt GMPP crate engines.

13. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

My understanding is the only FOR SURE way to tell is drop the pan.

14. BL1TZKRIEG

BL1TZKRIEG 1/2 ton status

so is the ram jet worth paying the extra money for ?
    I definitely like the looks of it :)

15. koldsimer

I can't believe that they wouldn't have corrected it... well yeah I can. Can anybody with a RJ350 verify if this is true? C'mon, you know you wanna pull your pan!