Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why all the complaints about gun laws?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BlueBlazer, Sep 15, 2004.

1. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I hardly ever post in the Lounge, but I wanted to know why all the complaining about gun laws was going on. Now, before anyone throws a hissy fit, I own two shotguns (for home protection and target shooting occasionally), and believe strongly that law abiding citizens should be allowed to have firearms for protection and hunting purposes. What I dont understand is why there is an uproar when they ban assault weapons or weapons of a larger caliber than would ever be required to hunt or protect yourself. When the founding fathers gave us the right to bear arms, I think they had personal protection and hunting in mind, not going to the local range and shooting up some targets (which I would assume all you guys use assault type weapons and large caliber weapons for).I am not trying to be argumentative, so dont even think about flaming me, I just want to get your guys take on it. Thanks

2. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Boy did you open yourself up on this one!! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

3. BlueBlazer

I dont believe I opened myself up to anything as long as people act like adults when they give the reasons for the way they feel. Like I said, I am on the side of gun ownership (since I obviously own guns), I just want to know why people feel they need assault weapons and large caliber weapons, thats all. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

I think it's for the same reason some of us put 1 tons and big tires on our trucks. Because we can /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Ding, ding, ding........................

The right to arm bears in my opinion gives them a fighting chance when people encounter them in the wilderness...Oh wait, wrong topic.

Seriously, there is no need to ban anything because criminals will always find a way to get firearms. There is no stopping it. Second, banning assault weapons didn't actually stop anything except law abiding citizens from owning them. I really don't have a problem if someone wants to protect their home and family with an AK-47. In fact, it gives them more rounds to do the job right.

Lastly, it's all about the government controlling the people unneedlessly. The other side of this argument, they cite flawed statistics and statements that even isn't close to being facts, but because they get airtime, those people who don't know any better will actually believe them. More people will have a voice. The next thing you know, the government is forcefeeding legislation down our throats. Legislation for a problem that doesn't actually exist.

People don't understand the firearms mentality. Give one half-assed trained person a handgun, he can do the same damage as that yahoo in Stockton.

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

---damn I must type slow, I got beaten to the punch /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

What I think is silly is that people are saying this is going to cause MORE problems/crime...
    I highly doubt that!
    The people causing the problems (IE using the guns for crimes) are USUALLY the people who are buying cheap stolen weapons. The folks going to the gun store buying and registaring a hand gun, assualt weapon, shotgun whatever... are MOST LIKEY not going to be the people planning on commiting a crime, esp since there are background checks before perchases. Think about it, if your going to commit a crime (lets say your going to hold up a store) are you going to buy a $50 stolen gun or a $600 new gun thats registared to you?
    Thats why I think the weapon should be registared and not the people carrying them (IE permits and such). There should also IMHO be a NATIONAL carry permit or no permit at all so that people traveling dont have to worry about what states accept there permit (this again comes back to registaring the gun itself at the time of purchase and there should also be a transfer of ownership form at the local PD if you buy or sell a gun). Right now its confusing, Some places its a concealled carry permit, here in Indiana its just a carry permit (says nothing about being concealled), then in (as I've heard) Louisiana there is no carry permit at all you just have to have the hundgun in plan sight (ie not concealled). Now if my states permit is concealed permit and louisiana accepts it, I'd probley be carrying concealed which would be illegal in Louisiana if their law stated you could carry but in plan sight (this is just an example).

So here's my platform...
    -no restriction on weapons (expept for maybe gernades, rocket launchers and such)
    -no personal registration (ie no state permits)
    -weapon registration and person to person transfer forms should be free (ie not having to pay for paper work fees and FFL fees for transfers unless its like state to state purchase where the weapon actually is sent from one FFL to another, to go down to the local PD and fill out a form saying I bought such and such from so and so should be free and avalable (which it is not in indiana, there is no personal transfer forms, If I buy a gun new from the dealer and sell it to someone else its still in may name, sale receipt or not if its used, stolen or lost it will still show in my name...)
    -Usually when buying a gun in Indiana they call in a background check before the purchase, unless you have a state permit... I think the backgound check is a good idea and should be carried over to the person to person transfer form... If you where to get arrested for commiting a crime, serve 18months, get out you could go straight the dealer with your permit (they are usually good for 4 to 5 years) and buy a gun without them calling in a background check. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif AGAIN though, the people buying guns from the stores are MOST LIKEY not going to be the ones commiting a crime but along the same lines, someone could get pulled over and have a stolen gun and state permit and not really get in trouble unless the police ran the number on the gun... if a vehicle is registared and thats checked why not check gun registration, it might get ALOT of the stolen guns off the road, THEN AGAIN we have not had laws in place so it would VERY hard to start this now /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif)
    There's alot of loop holes and there are no clear answers to the gun laws... I say own, carry and use with descression /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

If you ban guns totally, the bad guys will be the only ones to have guns /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

7. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Seriously, there is no need to ban anything because criminals will always find a way to get firearms. There is no stopping it. Second, banning assault weapons didn't actually stop anything except law abiding citizens from owning them.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah that basically sums it up /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I am one of those who enjoy shooting targets I like the larger hand guns like my Desert Eagle 50 cal. I think the AWB was a bad idea too begin with. I think if you use a gun too commit a crime and get caught, then you should do the time. I don't think the gov. should take them away from everybody who uses them leaglely. The only people who suffered from the AWB was the people obaying the laws. The AWB never stopped the gang members from obtaining and useing them in drive by shootings.

9. BlueBlazer

I agree with all your responses, you all had good points and I had heard almost all of them before. I guess I just dont understand the allure of shooting a bigass gun and spending all the money and ammo and such. Its probably the same feeling my family and friends have when they see me put so much time and money into my rig just the beat the hell out of it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    I agree with all your responses, you all had good points and I had heard almost all of them before. I guess I just dont understand the allure of shooting a bigass gun and spending all the money and ammo and such. Its probably the same feeling my family and friends have when they see me put so much time and money into my rig just the beat the hell out of it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah basically... just like some people live in apartments in big cities and dont own cars, work in a cubical all day just to go out and blow $100's of dollars at bars partying and buying expensive clothes to impress others /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Just depends on what ya like I guess.
    (I use that as an example because one of my friends from college is that way, we are friends because we are polar opposites other than I got him hooked on HK's in stead of the glocks he use to like /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif)

11. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I don't know if this has been mentioned but

They start with the easy guns, .50 BMG, then .50AE and .500 Linebaugh, then .500 Beowolf, along with all the old safari cartridges like .700NE and .600NE

Next it's all the large magnum cartridges. .454, .480. .44

Next it's semi autos in any form

Then it's 6 round capacity or less

Then it's nothing

This is the written agenda of a anti site

12. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

what do you think an " ASSAULT WEAPON " is ??!!

13. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    When the founding fathers gave us the right to bear arms, I think they had personal protection and hunting in mind, not going to the local range and shooting up some targets (which I would assume all you guys use assault type weapons and large caliber weapons for).

[/ QUOTE ]

Disclaimer: I am not flaming, I am just shouting for all to hear... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

THE 2ND AMMENDMENT IS NOT ABOUT HUNTING, PERSONAL PROTECTION, etc.

Now, in a quieter voice, here is what it is about, and I quote: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Now read it again.... hear any mention of hunting, personal protection, etc. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Before I begin my argument about what the 2nd amendment IS about, let me also state that it is NOT about the National Guard. The National Guard was not around when the Bill of Rights were written so unless our founding fathers knew how to predict the future then it is obviously not about the National Guard. (Also, state militia and the National Guard are not one in the same.)

The 2nd Amendment is about the right for citizens to bear arms so that IF the government ever became a tyranny the people could overthrow the government... Our founding fathers put that in there specifically to protect our butts from another tyranny.

Now..your thoughts? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Nicely put Bloodhound. I guess I look at it like this:
    Why shouldn't a law-abiding, responsible citizen be able to own whatever weapon (or car or boat or sofa love seat) he or she wishes? Why should anybody have the right to tell me I cannot own an assault rifle or a large caliber handgun, if I am not a criminal or a crazy person? I personally have been very happy with my Taurus M44, which is a .44 Magnum six shooter, because even a six shooter is deadly in trained hands. I will be buying an AR for myself this Christmas, because I want one. Period. I don't NEED a giant one-ton Blazer, I don't NEED cable, I don't NEED a riding lawnmower, but I either have or want all of the above, just because.

15. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The assault weapon ban was Bullsh!t!!! If you look at the list of the guns banned you will see that most were High Dollar guns. how many crimes are really Committed with these type of guns. what most people forget is that the Dumb asses that commit the Crimes will get Weapons some how no matter how many laws are passed!

16. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The 2nd Amendment is about the right for citizens to bear arms so that IF the government ever became a tyranny the people could overthrow the government... Our founding fathers put that in there specifically to protect our butts from another tyranny.

[/ QUOTE ]

And to think that some people still don't realize why the government wants to disarm us... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

17. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And to think that some people still don't realize why the government wants to disarm us... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously they want to disarm us for that very reason! And that is the point of putting the right to bear arms in the constitution! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    what do you think an " ASSAULT WEAPON " is ??!!

[/ QUOTE ] Well to me, a " ASSAULT WEAPON " would be full-auto, not simi-auto. The looks of the gun wouldn't matter. By the way, most gun crimes are with small hand guns, the ones that are easy too hide.

19. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

An assault weapon is one that compliments an apepper weapon

*BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!*

20. BlueBlazer

I agree with what you said about what our founding fathers meant, I guess it has been a long time since I read the actual words in the amendment. However, if you really think they are trying to take guns away from us to get rid of democracy and instate a monarchy or dictatorship, I believe that is paranoid at best. I find it sad that anyone in this country is worried about that, and I hope that your fears are not shared by most people in this country.