Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

why all the jeep hate?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by aaaaggh, Jul 11, 2001.

1. aaaaggh

aaaaggh 1/2 ton status

birmingham alabama cause there no ham like birming
    i notice that everyone seems to really not like jeeps. i drive a cj7, a k5, and a Z71. they all are great vehicles. and they all have thier weak points and strong points. the k5 has tons of room for my hunting gear and dead deer and i can sleep in it, the jeep is more fun than anything ive ever driven and will wheel circles around most things plus ive rolled it twice and it doesnt even show any damage, and the Z71 is a great ride for those 5hour drive hunting trips, and a perfect daily workabout truck. these are only a few of the good things about these trucks. of course they all have thier weak points too (if you leave them stock(boring)). the k5 goes through about 1 700r4 per year. the jeep is all kinda cold in the winter, and the Z has ifs which really doesnt bother me. not to mention they all have crappy stock rear ends. (although the only one that never left me stranded was the jeeps amc 20 with no working brakes) so why all the hate? wheelers need to be banding together against land grabbing greenies, not each other.

friends romans countrymen, lend me some parts

2. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

i don't know about everyone else but i don't hate jeeps, just the weak axles, crappy motors, even worse tranies, and wiring that is better than fords but still dosen't hold up to gm weatherpack connectors, but i would drive a jeep with a gm running gear and upgraded suspension but after all the expense i could be ridin high in a blazer...

3. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

I don't hate Jeeps. I think most here don't, a lot of comments made are for friendly competition. I'd love to have a Jeep myself. Brand loyalty is anal to a certain extent.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.chriswhitley.com>http://www.chriswhitley.com</A>

4. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

I just have never liked chryslers. My girlfriends Grand Cherokee is a PEICE OF TRASH. I mean it is garbage man, its a 94 and it is uncomfortable, it has some transslip that they got fixed once and it won't go away. The brakes are horrible too. I mean a jeep on a K5 frame would be cool. 10-bolts are NOT crappy axles. Of course they aren't as good as a 14b, but if you maintain and don't beat the Sh1t out of them they are fine.

1988 K5- Piss on Ford/Dodge/Jeep

5. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

i agree there isn't anything wrong with jeeps('cept cherreekes) although from personal experience i love gm because of how interchangable the parts are and they do seem to ofter last longer to compariable products from other manufactures and because the are so interchangalbe the tend to be easier to find and cheeper,

6. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I agree, we all need to stick together as four wheelers. But there will always be some friendly competition between makes. Between my brothers and I we own a K5, 68 CJ5 and a 72 Bronco!! I am part owner of the Jeep with my older brother - talk about rivalries! But we have fun together. I think it's so lame when I pull up to an event in my Blazer and the Jeep guys thumb their noses - that is until I stomp all over them!! ha,ha I say that any vehicle that lets you get out in the back country and enjoy yourself is a good vehicle! Yes, my favorites are Chevys, but that doesn't take anything away from other makes in my mind.

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

why all the heep love? [​IMG]

Murphy's Laws on Life:
    "A bird in the hand is worth three Kleenex."

8. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I think the Jeep guys bring on the hate themselves. The majority of Jeep people I've known think their sh!t doesn't stink and nothing is better than their Jeep. Bad attitudes. And this website proves that most of the K5ers out there are nice and realistic about what their truck is. They're just retaliating a little bit.
    Why do you bring this up? This website is pretty mild in forms of Jeep bashing.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

9. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Jeepers have done it to themselves - but mostly the newer Jeep owners, the Wranglers and Grand Cherokee types, not the CJ drivers, or the guys driving flatfenders. These newer Jeep guys have managed to adopt the holier than thou attitude, impressed with capabilities that they haven't got. Personally, I'd love to get ahold of an old flat-fender and restore it to original - extremely capable little rig right out of the 1941 box. I don't hate the Jeeps, just a handful of the owners.

<font color=red>Cripplefight!!</font color=red>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A> Updated finally[​IMG]

10. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Jeeps are a bit interesting including their owners. I used to own a CJ5. But, three times end over end followed by three times side over side all in one roll pretty well killed that project! Two things get me about Jeep owners. (1) Those that own the newer Cherokees and such think they are just all that and that they are big 4x4 people now. When, in reality, their truck probably never leaves the pavement. This can also go for a lot of other SUV owners, but its fun to pick on Jeeps. (2) What kind of drivetrain do you see in many older, offroad capable Jeeps? Chevrolet! And then they say that there Jeep is so wonderful. Well, if that is true, why is it all Chevy or GM under the body?

In reality, Jeeps have their place. There is nothing like the complete open air ride of a good ole CJ. But, winter becomes a problem, can't tow much due to the short wheelbase, and it isn't as roomy for the family as a K5/Jimmy. But, then again, since every four wheelers needs are unique, there is no ultimate 4x4 out there!

The best way I can relate the love/hate relationship is this...
    It's like the University of Texas and Texas A&M. They hate each other throughout the year, make jokes about each other, and really get it on in every sport or competition they have. But, when one of the schools plays University of Oklahoma in anything, they band together! So, I guess UT would be the K5s, A&M would be the Jeeps, and the greenies would have to be OU!

Hook'em Horns!!

85 GMC Jimmy, 305 w/TH700-NP208, 4" lift, 35X12.5 BFG MTs, 15x10 Hellcats, Smittybuilt tube nerf bars and bumbers

11. ChrisM72beast

ChrisM72beast 1/2 ton status

I truly can't have any hate because my girl wants me to get her a early to mid 70s cj. I'm not going to fight with her about that and if (when) my truck ends up in the shop I sure as he!! don't want her givin' it back to me. I just would not own one because I feel that they are not very safe due to the height and lack of width. Hey to each is own.

Chris M

http://www.geocities.com/chrism72beast/beastpage.html

12. rickman

rickman Registered Member

yea man! Jeeps are cool!

13. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

I belong to several Jeep forums and one C/K forum. I own three Jeeps(1945, 1960 &2001) and one K5(1984). On every Jeep forum that I belong to, I've never seen nothing to the tune of "negative" towards C/K anything. Although this forum stinks with "negative" towards Jeeps.
    Now your gonna say if you don't like it, leave! Well, I'm thick skinned and find the technical value of this forum outweighs the "fluff" of the Jeep forums. I check this forum daily and the Jeep forums maybe monthly.

I use my K5 for a different reason than I use my Jeeps. They are both capable vehicles. Remember both manufacturers used at one point or another in their career Dana drivetrains. And Oh yes, if 10 bolts are Chevy's "pride and joy" that is not saying alot for GM.

Flame suit on,

Ron

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Hey I'll admit it. I dont like jeeps! I owned 5 of them. from years1943-1993.So I think I have given them a fair try. I think stock jeeps are way over rated. Yes, when modified they are a pretty good 4x4. But I had a 67 IH Scout that could wheel rings around any stock CJ I ever owned. I have far warmer memories for my good ol Scout than any Jeep I had. It seemed like I was always putting money in my jeeps cause stuff was always breaking. My wife traded her AMC eagle for a new Cherokee and she hated it. She thought her Eagle was a lot better vehicle. She wanted her eagle back. I replaced the Cherokee with a new Pontiac Bonneville and that was the end of my jeep days.
    A good buddy of mine bought a new Wrangler. He had to do a 3" lift and put lockers in it just to keep up with my mostly stock K5. He was always having to lock it in 4x4 for stuf I could go through in 2 wheel drive no problem.
    I could go on and on but I wont. I'm just glad there isn't a heep in my drive way to work on anymore. I got better things to do.
    And you did ask why I dont like Jeeps.

<font color=orange>GOT HORSEPOWER?</font color=orange>

15. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

Hmmmmm! ..........'67 Scout same drivetrain 'cept for the motor as a '67 CJ!

16. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

hey i think my k5 is my fav. vehichle ive owned, and there has been a lot, i also have a lifted a locked yj. and ill tell you right now the jeep in stock form is better than a k5 in stock form, in fact if you want to compare stock form, it is better than just about anything other than a cruiser or a rover.
    im callin your bluff thunder -----"my freind bought a new wrangler and had to do a 3" lift and lockers just to keep up with my nearly stock k5" B.S.!!!!

17. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Saw em' off!!! Gig em Aggies!!! Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2002 Whoop!!!!!!!!

Doug Krebs

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

"and the greenies would have to be OU!"

Those are by God fightin words!!!!!!!!!!
    Should we bring up the current national champions? Or should we bring up the theme park, "The new Six Flags Over Texas." Which in case you should point your browser to the following url, http://store5.yimg.com/I/rivalgear_1631_23716772

If any school is green, it's those "can't play football" schools in the Pac-10.

"I am Republican. Not a baby-killing, tree hugging, land grabbing, touchy feely, hypocrite wuss democrat!"

19. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Most jeep people I meet on the trail are a$$holes to me.They act like Im in the way and that I shouldnt be there.Its not the jeeps fault that the guy behind the wheel is a prick.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</A>

20. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I think that the Jeep people as a whole (hell, I am one of them!) are good people. There are always exceptions to every rule! I think it is like anything else in life, people are not readily accepting of someone or something that is different. Our K5s are different than the Jeeps, and vice versa. The Jeep club I belong to is full of awesome people who like my K5 now - sure, the first time I showed up for a run I got some interesting looks (that would have nothing to do with my "Attach Stuck Jeeps Here" bumper sticker! ha,ha), but once I showed them that my truck could keep up with their Jeeps, they were cool with me. Yes, there are a lot of "parking lot Jeep" owners out there who think they and their Jeeps are the sh*t, but I think the majority of the actual wheelers are cool. Of course if you have an equally negative attitude toward Jeeps, well, it goes both ways. I am all for friendly competition, but let's all come to reality, we're all in this together, and if we don't help each other we won't have anywhere to wheel anyway! We'll be admiring each other's rigs in our driveways if the Greenies get their way!

(Now, the only exception here is the foreign trucks - we can all hate them plenty! ha,ha j/k) Long live American iron!!