Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why all the Tough truck challangers using 2 1/2 Rock wells?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by merace19, Mar 2, 2005.

1. merace19

merace19 1/2 ton status

Why all the Tough truck challangers using 2 1/2 Rock wells? Just got my mag in and most of the trucks are running 2 1/2ton rockwells. What is the advantage to them over a 60 and 14 bolt? They have to be alot heavier and harder to find parts for. The weight is the one reason i would not want them. More mass to move and get unstuck. I use to see them every where for cheap too.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

rockwells are...

1) cheap
    2) have 1.6" axles, which if you run high-end allow shafts are pretty damn strong.
    3) mad low gear ratio (6.72)
    4) driveshafts attach to the top of the diff, so they don't really have to be high-angle shafts unless you have some mad crazy suspension flex.
    5) the housing is pretty much indestructable. D60 fronts have been known to bend... unless you throw it out of an airplane, a rockie prolly won't.

j

3. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

It's the same reason why someone upgrades 1/2 ton to 1 tons. They are going to be stronger for the bigger tires & high horsepower engines:thumb:

4. merace19

merace19 1/2 ton status

Is it worth the weight penalty? What do they weigh and how much does a 60 and 14 weigh?

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You know, last night just for fun I watched that "freebie" Peterson's DVD that they spammed out a couple of years ago.....I believe it was of TTC 2001? (Watson was a spotter for the Bummer team)

I had to laugh, only 1 vehicle could even ramp 1000 during the engineering section, and there was actually a vehicle there on D44s (Cherokee?) and the Samurai was only on 38s(?) and had a 4-cylinder engine.

My, how times have changed. :blush: It's all Rockwells and big blocks and "money-no-object" buildups now. I think they finally even gave up on the "street legal" requirement for this year.....and not a lot of things "look" like trucks anymore either.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah, heck when looking who to vote for if it didn't have a doubler or an atlas I didn't consider it.

7. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Rockwells are easy to find and they are cheap. A stock rockwell may be as strong as a built 60. Although you can spend a LOT of money building a Rockwell.

I know I spent a lot of money buying and building my D60 and 14FF. I have more in my D60 than I have in both Rockwells.

Parts are easy to find and reasonably priced, you just need to know where to look...

The weight on a D60 is about 600 lbs iirc. The weight of a stripped down Rockwell isn't much more if any. If you loose the drum brakes, you drop about 225 lbs on the Rocky.

Check out this place. They have lots of HD parts from Rockies.

http://www.ouversonengineering.com/axle_products

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm really clueless when it comes to Rockwells. I know nothing about them. So let me ask a question. Do they make lockers for the Rockwells ?? What about Disc break conversion ?? Rims ?? I'd love too build another truck in the future when money isn't so tight. I'd like too go with 49" Irok's.

9. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Lockers=Yes, but only Detroit.
    Disc Brake conversions= Yes, or since Rocky equipped rigs more often than not don't see street use, pinion brakes.
    Rims=Stazworks(only I think they changed their name) or USA 6x6 (if desperate)

John

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

there is suppossed to be a selectable locker coming or out. USA6x6 I think has it, but who knows with them. I forget who is really making it.

11. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

The website that DP_90 just provided shows that company provides a positive engaugment locker for the Rockies.

12. jekbrown

yeah, someday I'd like to have a rockie equipped rig. They are just too bad ass. If you want to run 52" michelins, they are definitely the axle to have. I know some people are in love with portals these days, but check out that ouverson site... I'm not sure it gets much tougher than a 2" 50 spline 4340 axle shaft. Sure, they are spendy... but how much are D60 Superiors / CTMs? and they ain't nearly as strong...

j

13. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Wow, the place that builds all the aftermarket stuff for rockwell's is only 3-4 hours from me. I have a d60/14b combo already but geee........:thinking: :D

14. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

15. jekbrown

btw, its worth noting that when ouverson/s 2" stuff came up over on pirate someone who is tight with Sandy Cone said he'd make the same size/spline shafts out of 300m for the same price... which might mean he'd make 4340 ones for a bit less than ouverson. 300m 2" shafts is just silly... beyond beef. I doubt even 53" michelins, 1000 ft/lbs of torque and maniacal use of the skinny pedal could break them. Something else would let go first.

j

16. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Oh, and another benefit is ground clearence!

[​IMG]