Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why are beadlocks illegal??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudblazin, Jun 10, 2004.

1. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I want to get some beadlocks but I want to drive it on the street and I cant figure out why they would be illegal on the street, is it a safety hazard that the tire doesnt come off the wheel or something? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Most of them are not DOT approved...

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

It's not that they're illegal, but that with two exceptions they aren't legal -- as the other poster said, they aren't DOT approved.

The two exceptions are the Hummer beadlocks, and the one new one in Peterson's the other month.

-- A

4. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

In Texas, who has told you they are illegal? According to the Texas Highway Patrol, Weights and Measures officer I spoke to, DOT applies to commercial vehicles. I have asked several local police officers and none of them could tell me that they are not legal to run on the street.

5. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

Has anyone with beadlocks ever been pulled over by DOT or police for running beadlocks. DOT is too worried about chasing money down from the truckers and I don't think most police officers know or care if beadlocks are illegal (I would think most of the people in the world don't even know what they are). I'd say run them. Like someone said in a earlier post. It's better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission. (something like that).

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

The reason their not DOT legal is that there is a chance the bolts could loosen up.

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

you do know that the wheel is also held on by nuts that could loosen?
    there was a police officer on this site running beadlocks
    he refered to them as a 'split rim variant'

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I know it's not a valid reason but that's what's I've heard.. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Not saying your wrong or right, cause I really dont know, but...

Those two piece and three piece wheels are also held on by nuts and bolts. For that matter, the whole wheel is only held on by 4-8 lugs for passenger cars and trucks.

isnt there always a chance nuts can loosen up???

[ QUOTE ]
    The reason their not DOT legal is that there is a chance the bolts could loosen up.

[/ QUOTE ]

10. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

As everybody has stated above, they are not DOT approved.
    This means that have not been submitted for safety testing performed by the DOT. This does not make them illegal for on road use. It simply means that they have not been tested. Kind of a way for the manufacturer to say "use at your own risk." There are literally hundreds of parts on new cars that are not submitted for DOT approval. Biggest problem with this whole thing is the magazines insist on printing they are illegal for on road use. I really wish they would get there facts straight.

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I hear ya. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif There was a thread a few years back where a guy actually got a ticket or a warning(I can't remember) for them(I think he was doing some other crap and the officer decided to throw the book at him) and the reason the officer gave was that the bolts could loosen up somehow. He(cop) could've been talkin out of his ass or that could be the law in some places....who knows...who cares...

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

The only thing I've ever seen on the state level was about 8 years ago, they were specifically listed in the CA Vehicle Code as being illegal for the street. Sometime between then and about three years ago, that code disappeared.

13. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

and if cali changed thier mind then they must be good everywhere else,LMAO!!!!

I'v seen a bunch here

14. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

So basically what y'all are saying is that I shouldn't have problems with the police if I decide to run beadlocks on the street.

Unless of course (heaven help me) they actually do fall apart and casue an accident. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Cause I want to get a set of custom beadlocks with the Hummer offset, since the Hummer 12 bolts from a CTIS rig are so hard to come by.

15. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

no actual person has told me they were illegal to run I just heard that off of T.V and in magizines, I just dont want to spend the money to get bead locks and end up having to take them off, man I wish I had a blazer that was just a trail rig all well maybe later down the road. I think I am just gonna get them and if something happens then all well ill just have to take a risk on this one. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I don't think that you will have a problem, most cops probably don't even know what a beadlock wheel is. Tell them it isn't actually a beadlock but a street legal look-a-like wheel. In Ohio the cops are too busy screwin' with semi trucks to even notice you, let alone what wheels that you have. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Illinois has fairly strict lift laws (meaning you can not lift a vehicle much). I asked a state cop once what the law was and he didn't know that there was a law /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif So I built my truck with 12" of lift and 40" monster mudders, drove sensibly, and never got hassled.

17. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

You really need to tick a cop off pretty bad to make them look for dot #'s on your wheels or actually check to see if the ring is not some fake mall poser crap. As for the DOT # itself, most of the beadlocks available are a retrofit of an already produced wheel. That means they take a wheel with current DOT #s on it, mill down the face and weld on the lock ring. The DOT # is still on the back of the wheel when they are done making it. So if you want to have a road side argument there will probably be a DOT # to show. DOT approved items carry different insurance liabilities for the maker (same for racing seats/harnesses). Most manufacturers don't want the extra hassle just of a silly stamp that nobody really care that much about to begin with. If you do run them regularly on the street make sure to check all of the bolts often (once a week is not too often IMO).

I also think bead locks are over used. My heavy azz truck drags the 14B all over at 12psi I can only imagine it getting worse at 8psi. I personally have no real desire for them (other than *wow* factor) If I had a larger tire (read 40") I would use them though.

as for DOT tests:
    A few years ago I watch 20/20 crash test auto seats. They then tested a $7 aluminum lawn chair in the same facility. It passed the DOT requirements yet my Beards don't have a DOT stamp. Go figure /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

18. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

most light you put on your truck are ilegal too it says right on the box, only time i could see them being a prob is during a safty inspection, but if you could throw on a set of stockers then your fine.

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Illinois has fairly strict lift laws (meaning you can not lift a vehicle much). I asked a state cop once what the law was and he didn't know that there was a law /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif So I built my truck with 12" of lift and 40" monster mudders, drove sensibly, and never got hassled.

[/ QUOTE ]

Illinois doesn't have very strict lift laws at all, although a 12" lifted truck with 40s would be illegal as it's too tall.

That is of course unless it's a 1 ton, which makes it legal no matter how high it is.

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

lots of people run hummer rims that have been recentered and say they are legal. Anyone know if such major modification makes them no longer DOT approved? I mean really, at some point it must... otherwise we'd all be welding DOT-approved rim centers into our custom beadlocks. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j