Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why are "Blue" headlights illegal?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Jimmy, Jan 28, 2001.

1. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Why are \"Blue\" headlights illegal?

A guy I work with was stopped by the Texas State Trooper because he has "Blue Daylighter" headlights in his truck. According to him, the trooper was a smarta$$ and didn't offer any reasons other than "they are illegal unless they are OE". I tend to believe him because he is 46, clean cut, and very laid back. I've never known him to speed or otherwise drive crazy. My question is. .. why do they sell them if they are illegal? You see BMW's, Mercedes, Lexus and a ton of Rice Rockets with those "wings" all over 'em....why aren't they stopped? I know most THP's are Di**less bastards even more than most cops, but what's up with this?

I'm at 10th and Plum....10 miles from nowhere, and Plum out in the sticks....Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Why are \"Blue\" headlights illegal?

Well arguing with Johnny Law usually doesn't help you out any, but if all you were allowed to use was OE then why are halogen replacements allowed? Lord knows my 81 Jimmy didn't come with halogen lights but it sure has them now!

Rene

[​IMG]

3. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I never argue with a cop for any reason...I just agree, say yes sir and no sir...show him whatever he wants to see and although I have never been searched, I would allow that also...I'll admit to have been treated fairly by a few locals, and on one occasion I have even been let off with a warning when I should have gotten the hit.....I'll take the lick for anything I have actually done.........I got a ticket from troopers for doing 62 on LBJ Freeway in Dallas (ya gotta go 75 to keep from being run over ..55 limit)....got a 57 in a 45 (ain't no way in hell I was over 50)....got stopped for smokey covers at 2pm because they are illegal after dusk ended up getting a ticket for no seat belt because I removed it before he got to the truck ($75)...a year later I got stopped for 65 in a 55 ( I was one of several) didn't have the receipt for the seat belt, so it cost me another $150 and then they agreed I had paid the fine, so they refunded $75 I paid for the fine and KEPT the other $75 for failure to appear....(WTF??).....I got a few others I have witnessed, but this would be a damn long post and I can feel a rant coming on.....I have NEVER been involved in an accident, other than being hit from behind....of all the fast cars I have owned, I have gotten only one ticket (65 in a 55 in the 944).....maybe I should delete all this, but I just need to vent about the Texas Troopers.....I love my country, But I fear my government...JD

I'm at 10th and Plum....10 miles from nowhere, and Plum out in the sticks....Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If the lights are legal for road use they should have DOT approved on them somewhere. Have him take a light to court with him or the box and say Depratment Of Trasportation approved lights and show the DOT stamp (it should be cast into the lens). Have him tell the judge he upgraded the lights for safty reasons and the cop was being a jerk. Have him point out it's no different that all these luxo cruisers with the same technology lights. Should get dropped.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

5. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

Rene, halogens are legal because they are a DOT approved replacement bulb. The "blue lights" are illegal because they use a blue tint to give off that "HID" effect. It's the blue color that makes them illegal. It's the same as using blue dots in your tail lights, or blue lenses. Only police are allowed to use blue lights or lenses.HID lights don't actually use any blue tint or lens, hense they are legal.I've had blue lights on my blazer for several months now, without a stop yet. But I know I'm taking a chance, as you can see the blue color even in day light with the lights off.

[image]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1328774&a=9975627&p=33244094[/image]

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Why are "Blue" headlights illegal?

Jamey, I do realize the halogens are DOT, I was just trying to show what a stupid reason the cop gave for handing out the ticket. I didn't realize there were blue tinted bulbs out there. Is it a cover or a tinted sealed beam? I assumed the guy had upgraded his lights to the newer technology.

Haven't heard from you in a while, hows your shoulder?

Rene

[​IMG]

7. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Sounds like he was bored, or had to sleep on the couch the night before. They're legal here in Maine, and I'd never stop a car for them, even though they're annoying as all hell. (and I'll overlook the D**kless comment too.) :)

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!!

8. flcpl4fn

flcpl4fn 1/2 ton status

Cops can do some really dumb things sometimes just because they can. I had a friend that had a 1972 frud van thst had windowns in the back doors. He had panted the windows and cover the in side with panaling when customized the interior. He had it on there for a couple of years, then one day a FHP stopped him and because he couldn't see in them. The cop told him he had to scrap the paint off right then or go to jail. Some vans don't even have glass in the back, so I couldn't see what the differents was.

That is just one of the dumb things that I have seen them do. All you can do is say yes sir or no sir and then take it to court.

'85 Jimmy in Jax, Fl

9. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

The cops can find something wrong with almost every vehical out there. If you scr*w with them they will F*ck you in the end..... Some people have mentioned that about the color and that is what I was told by a cop is illegal about them.... Here in Az Blue and Red are illegal to desplay on the front of a vehical & blue on the rear......Those are reserved for emergancy vehicals..... Show them (the cops) some respect, sometimes they just want to see what you've done to your rig....

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I'm the proud holder of 23 tickets in 6 years and I've been pulled over for some of the dumbest crap too. Riding my fourwheeler on the grass beside the road in first gear for about 100 yards, $280 no insurance ticket. Recently, driving down a country road at 30 mph in a 40 at 2 in the morning, nobody out and drifted over the center line for about 2 sec, got a ticket for being left of center, $75. I've had my truck searched for drugs 3 times by drug dogs, and I never touch the stuff. Of course if they waste all that time, they'll write you a ticket for SOMETHING. Usually a no seatbelt ticket or something. Got stopped about a month ago coming out of the school late. Me and a buddy were up there finishing up a project late. We were loading up the pickup when the cop pulled in and ran our licences, made us wait about an hour and threatened to take us to jail. Finally they let us go. Damn, I'm an eagle scout, I've never stolen anything in my life.

So what makes some of us a prime target for cop stoppage?

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    I love my SAWZALL!!!

11. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>Here's what really chaps my hide...........there are a couple of State Boys that live near me that both have hot rods. They both have blue dots on their tail lights and loud dual exhaust. I have no problem with that, but I do have a problem when they try and write tickets to others for the same damn thing !!!! Talk about above the law !! It's cops like these that put a bad vibe out to others who try and modify their vehicles in the same ways. I've never been hassled by them so I don't have any major complaints, but the second I get pulled over by either one for one of the same mods they have on their cars, it's off to court we go !!

Another thing, how come cops out on patrol at night no longer feel that they have to stop for stop signs ? There are a few around here that just slowly roll around the corner without stopping ! It pisses me off to no end !</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

[​IMG]