Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why are our troops in other countries?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Oct 23, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I never thought of this till tonight, why are our troops tationed all over the world? I don't just mean now, I mean any time, wartime or not. I mean we have troops in Germany, but does Germany have troops here? They have their own army. Why do we send our troops there and pay all those resources?

2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Its a remainder of the "Cold War".Even with our troops in Europe, the Soviet Bloc outnumbered NATO substantially. Now, it gives the US a staging area in case we ever need to intervene in Europe or the Middle East. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

because we are GOD BLESS america.why does every country have millions of people that want to live here? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifwe are the most and the best.vote for kerry and watch it turn to [censored]. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

your right ,we stay to keep peace. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I never thought of this till tonight, why are our troops tationed all over the world?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Read some history books once in a while!
    [ QUOTE ]
    I don't just mean now, I mean any time, wartime or not.

[/ QUOTE ]
    With out over seas bases WWIII would have started decades ago in either Europe or Korea. Let just say Our Troops have been there to keep the peace.
    [ QUOTE ]
    I mean we have troops in Germany,

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep, thats what They get for the first two World Wars. To the Victor belongs the spoils.
    [ QUOTE ]
    but does Germany have troops here?

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gifGet a grip Dude. You should have paid more attention in history class /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    [ QUOTE ]
    Why do we send our troops there and pay all those resources?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Why don't You ask the wounded troops from Afganistan and Iraq that are at military hospitals in Germany why We have over seas bases.

6. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

Force Projection, faster deployment, closer resupply/hospitals, deterance, etc...

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, what 82 said. Having bases all over enables us to project our military power much more quickly than if we constantly had to deploy our guys from here in the US. In some ways it is a remenant of the Cold War... but it is also a vital thing to have in our current war on terrorists. When some a-hole sticks his head out of his cave or someone takes hostages we need the infrastructure needed to support our counter-terrorist operators as close as possible to "the front" so we can go in as quickly as is possible.

j

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

this is why i dont have very many opinions on this subject and area, because i did horrible in history classes and i never know who to vote for or anything, politics and history are not for me, at all, if i dont end up in one of the southwestern states then im gonna be in canada or australia, cuz i know i have nothing left to stay here for and no desire to either, at all!

i have no idea why our government and armies do what they do, not much of an idea at all pretty much, theres nothing i can do to change any of it, too much history involved that i know i can never learn and understand, so,.. same goes with todays politics and government, its all way beyond me, so far beyond me that i dont even get involved in it, so i dont vote or do anything, no point in me voting in an area that i am so uninformed in,

everything seems like one big disaster of a mess to me, so i have no idea... ive got enough problems to deal with every day and am waaaaaaaay too preoccupied with trying to survive in my own personal disaster of a life to try and figure it all out and make much sense of any of it all, its just all way too much, big time,

so i /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

good luck

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm amazed you didn't add "pinko commie" to then end of that post /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Could have been a little nicer and helped me realize things like everyone else did.

10. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

I suppose you could look at it from the perspective that we need to be able to insert our military strength in "short order" but I would challenge everyone that argues that point to take a look at a commercial airline flight schedule... it only takes a few hours to get anywhere from here anymore. Not to mention those neat little floaty thingies we have nowadays, what are they called again... oh I remember. Aircraft carriers.

I agree that strategic locations and bases will without a doubt be in OUR best interest, regardless of how the rest of the world see's it but that doesnt make it right.

I was unaware that Germany was the cause of TWO world wars... though I am glad that now I dont have to dislike the Japanese for attacking Pearl. However, I am curious why we bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki instead of Berlin... must be all those damn pesky books I keep reading.

Sled_Dog just remember one thing, while we may be propping up the rest of the world with our military might, inserting dictators and governments into regions and countries that dont want us, need us or for that matter have even asked for our help, as long as you dont vote for John Kerry, everything will be ok. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

Oh... and Communism works on paper, just not in reality. who knew /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    though I am glad that now I dont have to dislike the Japanese for attacking Pearl. However, I am curious why we bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki instead of Berlin...

[/ QUOTE ]

if im not mistaken, we bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki in retaliation for Pearl Harbor. not 100% sure where the Japs came into the picture, but that's why they got nuked.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hmm here is where when I did pay attention in history calss does come into play, we bombed them to try and end the war, and it worked. Germany did start the war(ever hear of the invasion of Poland or the holocaust?), Japan just became their allies, and Pearl Harbor was our final straw to get into the war.

Here is another question, If Communism is evil and China was our enemy in Korea, why do we now have free trade with them? Yet I still can't go buy some Cuban cigars...

13. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Here is another question, If Communism is evil and China was our enemy in Korea, why do we now have free trade with them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pure economics, Bill Clinton saw the Chinese as an untapped economic cash cow. He kinda ignored that they are our largest threat from a single Government power. Clinton befriended the Chinese Government and gutted the military which is one key reason he is so despised by many Americans.

14. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Here is another question, If Communism is evil and China was our enemy in Korea, why do we now have free trade with them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pure economics, Bill Clinton saw the Chinese as an untapped economic cash cow. He kinda ignored that they are our largest threat from a single Government power. Clinton befriended the Chinese Government and gutted the military which is one key reason he is so despised by many Americans.

[/ QUOTE ]

So why didn't Bush change things? He has had four years....

As to the question, China is key to our own economic well being, and Cuba....well they don't have anything we want, except maybe cigars. Our country cannot survive without countries like China, Korea, Phillipines, etc to manufacture the stuff we need for little money.

The scary thing is countries like India and China that now are entering the high tech manufacturing sector....if they take those jobs from us what will we do here in the USA? Dell computers use to be made in the USA, now they come out of China... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

We are withdrawing our troops, although slowly, from both Germany and Korea. Where they will go, nobody knows, but in 10 years, I bet the home of the 1st AD, 1st ID, and 2nd ID will be back here on American soil.

[ QUOTE ]
    if im not mistaken, we bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki in retaliation for Pearl Harbor. not 100% sure where the Japs came into the picture, but that's why they got nuked.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're mistaken. The reason we dropped the bomb was so we did not need to invade mainland Japan which would have caused something like an estimated 500,000 casualties to American troops. Japan was the next step in the island hopping campaign that ended with the atomic bomb.

[ QUOTE ]
    Communism is evil and China was our enemy in Korea, why do we now have free trade with them? Yet I still can't go buy some Cuban cigars...

[/ QUOTE ]

China is not Communist anymore. Ever wonder why it's called the, "People's Rebublic of China" on the map now? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Or you can look at it through the backdoor. We stimulate their economy over the span of years, and they slowly move towards the right way of doing things.

17. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    We are withdrawing our troops, although slowly, from both Germany and Korea. Where they will go, nobody knows, but in 10 years, I bet the home of the 1st AD, 1st ID, and 2nd ID will be back here on American soil.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet they end up stationed in the middle east. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

And we had won the war in Europe before we had the bomb, otherwise those fawkers woulda got it too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

18. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Or you can look at it through the backdoor. We stimulate their economy over the span of years, and they slowly move towards the right way of doing things.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I hope will happen Bubba, once the Chinese people have some wealth they may not be so narrow Communist minded. They might actually enjoy being prosporous and actually allow elections some day. But the reason Clinton kept giving for China having free trade statis was economic.

Let freedom ring /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

19. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I suppose you could look at it from the perspective that we need to be able to insert our military strength in "short order" but I would challenge everyone that argues that point to take a look at a commercial airline flight schedule

[/ QUOTE ]

I challenge you to draw up the logistics of doing that for 50,000 troops and all thier equipment simultaneously. Come on, you think it's that easy, lay out the plan.

[ QUOTE ]
    Not to mention those neat little floaty thingies we have nowadays, what are they called again... oh I remember. Aircraft carriers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, the ones that can cross the atlantic in a heartbeat at thier 30 knot top speed...

[ QUOTE ]
    I agree that strategic locations and bases will without a doubt be in OUR best interest, regardless of how the rest of the world see's it but that doesnt make it right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it wrong then? I don't think we have any bases in countries that don't want us to, do we? In which country are we forcing the government to allow us to have a base?

[ QUOTE ]
    I was unaware that Germany was the cause of TWO world wars... though I am glad that now I dont have to dislike the Japanese for attacking Pearl. However, I am curious why we bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki instead of Berlin... must be all those damn pesky books I keep reading.

[/ QUOTE ]
    What the heck books are you reading?? Obviously not history books, with a response like that.
    Germany started two world wars, 2nd in in 1939. Japan aligned with Germany in 1940, embarking on an Imperialistic campaign of it's own. Look Here for a basic WWII timeline.
    We dropped the Fat Man and Little Boy to convince Japan thier options were surrender or be annihilated. All other world powers involved in WWII had stopped fighting while Japan continued.
    We entered the war and fought Germany and Japan because we had ignored their war for years as it didn't pertain to us (isolationism). Pearl Harbor was what it cost to ignore it, we could have addressed only the Japanese and ignored Germany, but nothing would have been learned from Pearl Harbor.

[ QUOTE ]
    while we may be propping up the rest of the world with our military might, inserting dictators and governments into regions and countries that dont want us

[/ QUOTE ]
    From the same book that taught you about why we got involved with Japan? Too much NPR, my friend.

To answer this:

[ QUOTE ]
    They have their own army. Why do we send our troops there and pay all those resources?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'd agree with the general idea everyone else has shared, remnants of the cold war deterrants, and quick deployment to protect our interests. A couple months ago Dubya announced a big initiative to reduce the number of troops and equipment stationed abroad, which only makes sense in the modern age of warfare, where the enemy is not going to be deploying tank units and airstrikes. Except China maybe...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    My first thought was like Bubba's, to crumble communism from within, but BigYellowJimmy's got a good point also (which I only recently learned about).
    As far as I know, China is still Communist. I was actually wondering about the name just recenetly... Bizarre, but the name of the country is even propaganda...

edit: typos fixed, crappy wireless keyboard

20. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

As far as I know, China is still Communist. I was actually wondering about the name just recenetly... Bizarre, but the name of the country is even propaganda...

[/ QUOTE ]
    As far as I know it is still communist and as you said the name is complete propaganda BS.