Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why are SM465 K5's SOO RARE??!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by badbowtie03, Sep 5, 2004.

1. badbowtie03

badbowtie03 Registered Member

Why are SM465 K5\'s SOO RARE??!!!

I used to hava a K20 with an SM465 I loved that Tranny! Im lookin for one in a K5 Blazer... Why are they so hard to find?? It frustrates me.. I just thought I would let off some steam. Oh yeah and if anyone knows where some nice ones are.. Give me a shout.. or wants to trade for a honda accord..PLLEEEAAASSSEEE

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: Why are SM465 K5\'s SOO RARE??!!!

Hardly any K5s or Suburbans were produced with manual transmissions. The reality is that the majority of people who'd buy an SUV wouldn't want a manual.

In this day and age, you can't even get the majority of SUVs with manual trannies--even the 3/4 ton models are not offered this way.

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

my 69 k5 has one. its become an obsession though /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    My girlfriend thought it was over after the 77 k5 was finished..
    /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

I spent the last bit of time this evening trying to get my engine back
    into the k5, but am having a hell of a time getting the trans to mate back
    with the pressure plate/pilot bushing. Is lined up correctly, just having
    a "fun" time with it.

I have not drove the 69 yet, so I can't wait to try out the manual trans /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just like the TH400 in later years in the K5's. Reality was as Tim states, plus, even if you wanted to, the factory wasn't going to condone the K5 being used for things that a 1 ton or 3/4 ton would be used for. (thus, heavy duty trannies only for folks that "needed" them)

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I started a poll on this very subject.

6. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

There are lots of 1st gen Blazers with manual trans. In fact, I think '69 was the first year you could get a 4WD with an automatic. As the years go on, there are less and less manuals, simply because people didn't buy them.

7. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

So far I've cut up three rusted out K5's with SM465 transmissions. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif The first was a '73, second was an '87 and the third was a '79. All of them ran and drove but the bodies were completely rotted. If you want a Blazer with a granny gear you could always do what I did and trade your freshly rebuilt automatic for a creeper and they hydraulic setup. (thanks bablazer73 /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif) sell the 32 splined 465 and 208 minus bellhousing and hydraulics to another member (get that thing running already Ryan!!!) and take the comonly avalable 10 spined 465/205 combo and put that in your rig. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif The reason I went with the 10 splined versoin is that I have 2 spare drive sleeves, 1 adapter and 1 t-case at my disposal and I really don't see myself breaking one with my TBI 350 and it's whopping 200 factory horsepower /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif It's an easy swap to do if you have all the parts at your disposal, just remember that if it's a TBI truck you will need at least the chip for the computer. I want to find a complete TBI harness for a crash box tranny and swap it in though, it seems like I'm missing some connections /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    In this day and age, you can't even get the majority of SUVs with manual trannies--even the 3/4 ton models are not offered this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've also got a '99 ZR2 Blazer with a NV3500 in it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

My '86 blazer came factory with the sm465/np208/hydro clutch. Unfortunatly it is to be the daily driver and the wife can't drive manual without either burning the tires or stalling it out. So I'm looking to swap a 700r4 in place of the sm465. Then the hydro clutch and bellhousing will go on my '79 K5 along with the sm465/np205 I got from a 3/4 ton donor so I will have a sm465 just sitting here doing nothing. Guess it will be a spare /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I have tried to buy new manual transmisison vehicles
    the dealers do not want to sell them

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Must be a MA thing--I had 2 first generation K5's with the SM465,one I converted from a TH350,I went looking for a TH350 in the yards around here back then,and 3 out of 4 trucks in the boneyards were standard tranny's--about half of the later 73-80 K5's I saw had the manual tranny's,the rest a TH350--the TH400 was the "hens tooth" to find around here--every "camper special"GM truck that had that tranny,no matter what t-case was behind it,was already spoken for before they got the truck off the ramp truck at the boneyard--but I didnt think the standard tranny equipped K5's were that rare,at least around here--maybe because us swamp yankees are so cheap we couldnt bear to spend the extra dough for an automatic,or maybe the husband figured his wife couldnt drive it with a stick,so it would be "his"truck--I dont know! /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

12. s373n_rcr

s373n_rcr Registered Member

I lucked out and found an 89' with 465 grannybox and hydro clutch. It's an ex-federal government (environmental agency) truck that was very well maintained. I'd check around for government auctions or the like. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    32 splined 465

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]
    10 splined 465/205 combo

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to hijack,,but is one stronger than the other????
    I have a T-400 (32 spline)/205 in the truck now and a 10 spline 465/205 on the floor that I will swap in someday,,
    Is a 32 spline 465 a stronger setup than the 10 spline??? I don't want to install a "weak link" /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

They probably are--both of mine were 10 spline units,both tranny rear ouput shafts had some wear on the splines,and one chewed up two of the couplers(they look like a peice of pipe with splines in it).Mine made an annoying rattling noise while cruising on the highway due to the "slop" in the splines--the second one I put in I filled with a bunch of black RTV sealant,it quieted it down a lot,but replacing the rear output shaft would have been the right thing to do(maybe with the 32 spline version??). /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

15. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

IIRC the 32 spline units are stronger.

THe main reason I see why the manual blazers are rare is because the 465 was an HD tranny and just wasn't necessary for a LD 1/2 ton blazer. I have never seen or even heard of a factory th400 equipped K5 before.

16. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    I have never seen or even heard of a factory th400 equipped K5 before.

[/ QUOTE ]
    You've never seen a military K5??? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Every one of those had a TH400 and a 208 behind the 6.2 diesel. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    THe main reason I see why the manual blazers are rare is because the 465 was an HD tranny and just wasn't necessary for a LD 1/2 ton blazer.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is complete nonsense. The 465 was offered standard in everything from 1/2 tons all the way to 1 tons and bigger.

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I have tried to buy new manual transmisison vehicles
    the dealers do not want to sell them

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep! Last time I went looking for a Diesel/6 speed truck locally (any brand name) to test drive, I was told, "There is not one for 1,000 miles, and we will not order one without a 50%, non-refundable deposit."

19. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I searched and searched and realized that I was going to have to buy a clean Blazer and just install a 465 in it myself .
    I agree with what has been said all above - the dealers do not want to stock a manual tranny equiped truck because the majority of buyers are shopping for an auto .

In answer to the 10 v/s 32 spline stuff -- buy all means the 32 spline is the better/stronger of the two and there is a whole lot less slop in the drive line with the 32 spline set up .
    Tom

20. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

my 88 k5 has the 5.7tbi/465/209.