Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

why are suburbans better than k5s?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by muddysub, Jun 28, 2003.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

ok we all kno they are better but gimme a list of reasons why. i got a few of my own lets se wat everyone can add to it.

- you can put a matress in the back /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    - if its rainin u can sleep in the back
    - people get out of yur way wen u drive a 7'4" tall 7000lb truck
    - you can push k5s out of yur way
    - you can go almost anywhere a k5 can go only u can haul 8 people at the same time
    - you can tow more and haul more
    - theres no such thing as a 3/4 ton k5

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

They just downright look better /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

You can dig deeper trenches with your tow hitch when you deploy your bad departure angle.

4. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

More room == More beer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    More room == More beer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

More room == More beer and more women /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Let's see, since I own an assortment... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The K5 is better for most wheelin', especially on the rocks. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

- you can put a matress in the back

In one of my K5's I removed the back seat and installed a false floor. I could store most of my junk under the floor and I had a 6'x4'x3" foam pad that I put down in the back for sleeping. I guess you could call that a mattress. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif With the false floor and the mattress in place, I found that if I tilted the passenger seat forward and sat my 48-quart Coleman cooler in that spot, I could place a pillow on top of the cooler and it was exactly the right height and gave me plenty of room to stretch out. I used to camp in it a lot! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

- people get out of yur way wen u drive a 7'4" tall 7000lb truck

I have no problem intimidating them in a 7'4" tall 6,000 lb. truck. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

- you can push k5s out of yur way

Let's chain 'em up! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

- you can go almost anywhere a k5 can go only u can haul 8 people at the same time

"Almost" is the big difference. I can drive to places in my K5 that would trash the body on my Sub. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif If my friends wanna go to places like that, let 'em build their own rigs! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

- you can tow more and haul more

Like your tricked out K5! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

- theres no such thing as a 3/4 ton k5

Uh, you haven't checked my driveway! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Of course, lots of folks also have 1-ton K5's these days. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I love my Subs. They're great for hauling lots of people and all their stuff. Our '94, with its IFS, cruises like a dream. The '90 rides more like a buckboard, but I like the looks of it much better than the '94. But when I just wanna be comfy and not use up tons of gas, I take the Mini-Sub, the S-10 Jimmy. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif It'll haul lots of people and stuff and gets 18 MPG with the cruise control set at 82 MPH. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You can dig deeper trenches with your tow hitch when you deploy your bad departure angle.

[/ QUOTE ]the departure angle on a suburban isn't much worse than the departure angle on a K5. in fact, without even looking at one, I'll offer expert opinion that the suburbans assend only sticks out 2 more inches than the K5's.

for anyone who claims a Sub'll high center like no tomorrow, I've never actually high centered mine. I've only touched rockerpannel on the rocks once, and I'll attribute that one to Cruisarius trying to get me to roll my truck so he could get a kickass picture to put on Rockmodified.com. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

something a blazer can't do that a sub can:
    -Haul full sheets of plywood in the back, with the tailgate and window up.
    -haul 9 people+ thier crap comfortably.
    -surprise the hell out of people when you do manage to not only beat them off the line at a stoplight, but waste them all the way to the next one. ( blazer looks more sporty, less soccer mom)

the only thing a blazer can do that my sub can't, is take the roof off, and I've been debating getting the sawzall out, and turning mine into an avalanche for a while now... not just any avalanche, a 1973 avalanche with a power midgate window, provisions for a cloth top, and provisions for the rear tailgate window to also rollup.

besides, who're you going to believe: someone who owns a blazer, or the guy who owns 3 suburbans?

-Rich

8. muddysub

[ QUOTE ]
    besides, who're you going to believe: someone who owns a blazer, or the guy who owns 3 suburbans?

[/ QUOTE ] im on yur side!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

9. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    I'll offer expert opinion that the suburbans assend only sticks out 2 more inches than the K5's.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I hate to burst your bubble, but expert fact /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif shows that you're off by about a foot. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I just went out and measured... On my K5, it's 44 inches from the centerline of the rear axle to the back edge of the factory rear bumper. On my '90 Sub (Same body style as the K5), it's a whopping 58 inches! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

As for high centering... The wheel base on a K5 is something like 106 inches. On a Sub it's around 123 inches. So whether or not you have taken your Sub in a trail where it has high centered, simple geometry proves that a similarly setup K5 is gonna walk though places that leave a Sub with the tires hanging in the air. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

10. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Damn, bud, you beat me to measuring the Burb vs Blazer trick /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

However, the wheelbase on a 73-91 Burb is *129.5* inches (the K5's are 106.5 in those years) so yeah ... they's easier to stick on stuff.

And I *do* dig trenches with my receiver in the Burb. What's wrong with that? Oh, wait, your driveway was CONCRETE ... oops... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-- A

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I was too lazy to decide.............

I guess that's why I just got one of each! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The suburban (at least mine) is a great nostalgia vehicle. I don't even mind driving slow in it. The K5 is nostalgic, but in a different way....I doubt I'd enjoy driving it as much if it were as "stock" as the 'Burb. Somehow the mods on the K5 just seem to make it even "cooler".......the Burban is cool, just the way it is!

12. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I love my 87 burb. It hauls my 4 kids and stuff much better than my blazer.

13. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

- you can put a matress in the back /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee, with my rear seat folded up or removed I can sleep comfortably in the back, and I'm 6'4!

Gotta love that departure angle too /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

14. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

chicks just like it cause its longer /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. no shame in that /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. muddysub

[ QUOTE ]

chicks just like it cause its longer . no shame in that

[/ QUOTE ] hell yea!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I'll stick by my old addage, `Its A Wheelbase Thing: You Wouldn't Understand...'

while the inherent risk of high centering may be fractionaly higher on a suburban, having the wheels pushed out farther gives it different ride charicteristics than a blazer. obstacles that may throw a blazer, or jeep on 2 oposing wheels, I'll often slink over like a greased ferret in the snow. the only time I ever find my trailer hitch digging trenches, is when I forget to take the 14 inch drop hitch out, and end up dragging it through something.

17. HarryH3

You need to come on up to Colorado and let us show ya why you don't see many 'burbs out on the trail. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I love my 'burbs, but they just won't get me to the places my K5 will. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

18. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

You know it really boils down to driving skill. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The suburban is only for the best drivers. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif I've gone places others have just been amazed and awe struck (the coolest reason of all /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif) that I can get a burb through it. If your really good you can drive that thing up a cliff and not touch a thing on the under side. I think the k5 is for the handicap drivers who need all the advantages they can get /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Think of it as the short bus!

All kidding aside you gotta love anything with 4x4 that can pull a house.

19. HarryH3

The same offer applies! I'd pay to watch a full-bodied Suburban tackle Independence Trail, Carnage Canyon, Iron Chest, etc. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif That would be good entertainment! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

20. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Amen on the Colorado trail part, Harry. Some of those trails near Estes Park were tighter than I'd like them to be in the Burban. Turning around was a nightmare. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif But you have to love all that room. I did pull out a K5 yesterday. He was buried to his front bumper in mud. I believe the weight of the burban helped it get grip in the slick mud and rock to get him out. That same weight can be a curse though. Not to mention, I was dragging the butt end of the thing to get out there to pull him out. Everyone I know is very impressed by the burb's capabilities, no one dogs it's size, expecially the girls Either way, the Suburban and it's smaller and younger Bro, the K5 are great trucks for anything, and I believe that they both are a great base to build an amazing trail rig. So lets face it, they both are great anyway you look at it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif