Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why are you suppose to change your oil once a year.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88Silverado, Apr 7, 2004.

1. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

.... even if it only has a few miles on it /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. mogas

mogas 1/2 ton status

Actually, it's like every 3 months. My 442 does not get driven a whole lot but I make sure to change the oil often.
    I have been told that once you run an engine the byproducts of combustion remain in the oil and some of these byproducts can turn acidic and ruin seals, pit bearings and ruin am otherwise good engine.
    Cheap insurance as far as I am concerned.

3. 88Silverado

Is this the same for diesels and diesel oil?

4. mogas

mogas 1/2 ton status

Probably moreso due to the sulfur content in diesel fuel

5. mogas

mogas 1/2 ton status

Now I may be going overboard with my own vehicles but I only run K&N oil filters on all of them, I run Mobil 1 in my wife's car and our 442 and I will switch to Mobil 1 in the Suburban after the engine is broken in.
    I change the oil in the wifes car ( Grand Caravan) every 3 to 4 thousand miles which works out to about 4 times a year, The 442 gets changed about every 2 weeks if I take it to the track on weekends and then every 3 months or 1500 miles during the off season and the 'Burb is going to go on the 3 month or 3000 mile regimen unless I do alot of towing in the summer then probably 2000 miles and I also have oil samples analayzed on these vehicles.

6. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Geeze, the FNG is goin crazy on oil changes. What kind of diesel is it 88? Most big truck diesel's go about 5k-7.5k miles between oil changes. Simply because they hold soooo much more oil than a gasoline engine. I also think the oil breaks down if its been sitting in an engine block for a year and that can lead to internal engine damage. and it gets dirty from sitting.

7. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

One reason to change oil is simply it is an anhydrous substance (darn been wanting to use that word since high school, course I'm not sure I spelled it right /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif), meaning it draws water when in open atmosphere. That combined with if it has been used (engine ran) the by-products of combustion and the water create acid. That might reek havic on an engine /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif!!!

OTR trucks go 6-7k because of the miles they rack up in a small time, keeping the oil hot keeps water out.

Now for a total side note: railroad engines have the pH of the oil taken regularly because of the amount of acid that build up!

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Most big truck diesel's go about 5k-7.5k miles between oil changes.

[/ QUOTE ] We easily go 15,000 miles on an oil change in all of our semis. Sometimes we will just change filters and go another few thousand. Diesel motors can go longer than a gas motor on an oil change because gas pollutes the oil much easier than diesel, diesels hold more oil(as stated) and an actuall diesel oil has more additives made especially for longer lasting changes. Just compare the distance a dodge pickup with an ISB cummins can go on one change vs. any gas motor. ISB= 15,000 mile maintenance intervals. Diesels are much better engines as far as maintence intervals and abuse IMHO.

9. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

J.R. has about 11 miles on the new engine and it has been changed 7 times for various reasons, turnimg over but not starting(gas in oil), sitting to long,etc. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. 88Silverado

The motorhome I just got has a Cummins 6BTA5.9 Turbo Diesel with 27k miles. The owner has been running Fleetguard filters and Delo-400 15-40W. The data I have on it says it has approx 1200 miles on it since oil was changed. The date scribbled on this same piece of paper says 1/16/00 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif (edited: just talked to the old owner. He said 00 was right but the diesel oil doesnt go bad and they would change oil in their tractors based on hours, not date /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif)

Think im going to change it anyways, only takes 15 quarts /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

I hope the 100 gallons of Diesel fuel thats in it is still good. (edit: he also said he always keeps the tank full to minimize water accumulation and adds a fuel preserative to keep sludge, fungus etc from forming)

Drove home very nicely.

Seriously thinking about running the Delo in the Blazer and maybe the Trans-am (see if it quiets the damn GM LS1 piston slap) instead of the current Mobil-1. Its alot cheaper (6 gallon case ~ $30-35) and the data on the Delo or Rotella oil is pretty darn good.

Thanks to all for the inputs /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I run Delo in my blazer, I would continue running Mobil-1 in the trans am for sure. Maybe switch to a higher weight.

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

88silverado,
    As far as tractors and hours go...We have tractors and combines that obviously go by hours and not miles. Our Cat Chalenger that has a 95' 3116 cat in it has a service interval of every 250 service hours. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif I change the oil in our farm equipment once a year or the over a certain hour limit, which ever comes first.