Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why can't a day go as planned?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Dec 19, 2002.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Why can\'t a day go as planned?

Today I had a long list of things to do. 1st was to tow a Suburban I had stored at my friend Nick's house back to my house. I was going to go and take care of that and be done before noon.

It took me from 10 this morning til 5pm just to get it here. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I left late, a bit after 10 am. No biggie. Still had plenty of time. Drove out to his house (about 10 miles), hooked up the tow bar to tow the '76 Suburban with my '81 Suburban. Got about 2 miles on my way back and I heard a loud pop from behind as I start fishtailing at 40mph, and eventually come to a stop. Turns out the caliper bolts were missing from the drivers side caliper. The caliper vibrated up and locked itself in the inner part of the wheel, causing it to lock up, cranking the front wheels hard left, and blowing the tire off the bead.

So, I unhook, leave a note on the windshield saying I'd be back to pick it up, and drive home to get a jack, tire, and caliper bolts. I load up the stuff I need at home and leave again. I get to the intersection next to Schucks, and as soon as I get across the street, my Suburban sputters and dies. So I coast onto a side street. It wont start again. No fuel in the fuel filter. Still registers 1/8 of a tank on my guage. I figure it has to be out of gas, or the fuel pump went out. So I walk to Schucks, buy a plastic gas container, walk across the street to a gas station, get gas, walk back to the Suburban. It fires, but wont pull up any gas. So it's the fuel pump. By now it's past 1:00 pm.

My friend Dave happened to call my cell, and I told him where I was, and he came in his Suburban. He towed me to the Schucks parking lot, where I got a price on a new fuel pump. But, I didnt have time to replace it. So I had him tow me the 12 blocks home.

I hop in my '68 2wd truck and drive a mile over to another friend's house where my Crew Cab is parked. Get in it, come back home, load up the tire, jack, and caliper bolts, and drive back out 8 miles to where I left the '76 Suburban on the side of the road.

My friend Nick met me out there, and we changed the tire, which I found out was ruined /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif from skidding on the road. As we are getting it "tow ready" again, I'm barely able to stand on the black ice on the road. Anyway, we finally get it hooked up again, and he followed me home. I got back just before 5 p.m. in the dark.

What a sucky day /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Re: Why can\'t a day go as planned?

Welcome to my week. I'm just tonight putting up a cieling that was supposed to be up monday PM.

You got too many trucks!!

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    You got too many trucks!!

[/ QUOTE ]
    You can NEVER have too many trucks when you have a place to store them! I still drag home every freeby I find even after moving into a mobile home park /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just started finding other places to park like family and friends fields /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Don't ya just hate being behind schedule? I'm doing some framing work myself, trying to enclose some ductwork. Then I get to do more sheetrock tomorrow...after I replace my fuel pump.