Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why can't a lunchbox locker go in a Gov-lock carrier?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blue85, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Why can\'t a lunchbox locker go in a Gov-lock carrier?

It sounds dumb, but I'm having a hard time visualizing what prevents this from working. The axleshafts are in the same place. Is the distance from the top to the bottom different so that the cross-shaft is longer?

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: Why can\'t a lunchbox locker go in a Gov-lock carrier?

Educated guess here, I'm no expert:
    Lunchbox lockers are designed to replace the spider gears in a regular (open diff carrier). The carrier is designed for spider gears.
    In a LSD differential there are clutches packs along with spider gears or similar assembly. Due to more/different components, the carrier is designed differently to account for this. Therefor what fits one will not fit the other.

I'm assuming since LSD's work OK (as long as they aren't worn out), the aftermarket "added traction" industry targeted the open differential arena to market their products (as those would be the most in need), so that is what they designed them to fit (I also believe, but could be wrong, that there are more open diff carriers out there than LSD one).

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I haven't researched it but I heard somewhere that there is a Detroit Locker (or maybe some other locker) on the market that will fit the Gov Lock carrier now.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Depending on what axle you have, there ARE lunchbox lockers that fit in a stock limited slip carrier. You just have to make sure you order the correct one.

5. Blue85

I understand that. I guess I am just trying to figure out which dimesions of the carrier are different that necessitate a different design. And I wonder what would happen if you did put a locker designed for an open carrier in a gov-lock carrier. Would it be able to move all around or not fit at all or what?

6. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

The Pinion shaft pushes the inner toothed piece out against the outer toothed piece thats attached to the axel shaft and that gets shoved against the carrier,sandwiching it all, but the lsd carriers are machined differently to accept all the cluches so the distance across the inside of the carrier is different, and if you did stick a lunchbox locker in a lsd carrier , it wouldn't work because it would have to much room between all the pieces, Am i making sense? [carrierside] too much room [ouside piece][inside piece][pinionshaft][inside piece][outside piece]too much room[carrierside]

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It wouldn't fit. The dimensions are different. It would not fit at all.

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

How about a make it self-evident? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Gov-Lock:
    [​IMG]

Open:
    [​IMG]

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Powertrax has lunchbox lockers that will fit many limited slip cases. But they cost over $400, so what's the point? Might as well get a Detroit Locker that is much less likely to ever break. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

I don't think the Gov-Lock (actually the Eaton Positive Locking Differential) can be considered an LSD. An LSD is a TSTAD (Torque Sensitive Traction Adding Device) where the Gov-Lock does in fact lock both axles together making it a SSTAD (Speed Sensitive). This happens when one wheel is found to be spinning >100rpm's faster than the other while still under 20mph.

11. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

what type axle are you talking about. The 14 bolt would have obvious reasons for not working. but for the 10, i'll be interested to hear what someone has to say...

12. Blue85

I run a 14B S/F with a Gov-Lock. I've never seen an aftermarket diff that fits in there, just whole-carrier ones. If/When the day comes to replace this diff, it will probably be with a full carrier unit anyway. I had good success setting up my gears in the front diff, so this would give me experience setting up used gears.

I'm not thinking about trying to stick a Lock-Right in my axle, I'm just trying to figure out what's different and how many places these insertable lockers push against.

Thanks for all the responses so far. The 14B FF issue seems cut and dry!

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've got a 14 bolt SF with a Gov-Loc too. I'm just going to weld it.