Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why cant I find dual 120 amp guages for my alt...?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by uglychevyZZ4, Jan 12, 2003.

1. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

This bites, I have dual 120 amp alternators ( your welcome mike /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) and cannot find guages that go over 60 or 90, and this blows, besides that would look sweet, you know 2 side by side, at 120 amps /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, umm, actually they wouldn't be showing 120 amps.... Unless you have a small city plugged into your cig lighter /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. During normal operations your probably only pulling around 60 amps or so.

3. uglychevyZZ4

actually around 45-50, but I wanna se her light up when i hit the juice and also wanna know what Im pullin on one of em when I winch so I know when im really askin for the breaking point. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Go to a place that sells parts for semi's. Their guages go up to that range, some are like 160 amps.

John

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you'll notice, none of the newer vehicles even have an ammeter. They figured out that running all that current up to the dash, through a meter and then finally out to the rest of the vehicle wasn't really a great idea. Problem number one was that a short in that circuit could set the vehicle on fire. Problem number two was that when the gauge failed, the battery would no longer charge. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif That's why you now see voltmeters instead. As long as the voltmeter reads in the 13.5-14 volt range, all is well. If it drops below that range, then the alternator either isn't keeping up with demand or has failed. If it goes over that range, the voltage regulator has failed.

Most ammeters in vehicles disappeared about the time the electrical demands of the vehicles required the use of an ammeter of more than about 65 amps.

6. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I agree with Harry...scrap the ammeters and go with voltmeters, if ya gotta have two of something.....

7. uglychevyZZ4

I have tons of those in my bottom drawer, i wanna know what my winch is askin for, i have spendy batteries and dont wanna fire start these /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    If you'll notice, none of the newer vehicles even have an ammeter. They figured out that running all that current up to the dash, through a meter and then finally out to the rest of the vehicle wasn't really a great idea.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I had a under dash fire from my amp gauge in my 75 blazer while driving down the highway, had to dump my 66oz coke on the dash to put the fire out!

9. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

in my luv i run and ammeter but i am going to put a volt meter in this summer when i put in the oil temp gage in a pod on the door frame! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif(man people will think im crazy that will make 9 gauges, 6 of em are aftermarket! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif)

10. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

The safest way to put an ammeter in is to use one that has a "sending unit" mounted under the hood. Kinda like whats used in industrial welders. The only problem is that they're usually quite expensive.

11. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I think the only way you can get an amp meter that goes that high is like from a welder or such. Ck with grainger
    they carry alot of industrial stuff. they have some that go up to 500 amp. semi's also run volt meters.

12. uglychevyZZ4

sweet, even if i have to use a sending unit, id like that way better than volt guage, . that would be like a 502 with no hood to show it off. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Hey Rob....

You got pics of your dual setup? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

14. uglychevyZZ4

nah, its apart right now, have to finger out how to have my alt and york in the same space??????