Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

why cant i use drum brake knuckles for crossover?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by misfit, Jan 10, 2002.

1. misfit

misfit 1/2 ton status

the ORD webnsite says drum brake flattops cant be used withouth modifcation. why? what mod, EXACTLY? i have access to machine tools so i might be able to remedy the problem.

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

the spindle hole pattern rotation is such that the brake caliper will hit the steering arm on the knuckle. The pattern is rotated toward the front of the truck too much. to fix it you would need to re-drill the spindle or the knuckle to mount the caliper bracket farther back and down. It could probably be done with a drill press if you just layed the spindle on it, transfer punched the holes and drilled carefully.
    hope this helps

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

3. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

My truck had a drum braked Dana 44 when I first got ahold of it. I converted to disk brakes from a '74 Blazer using the original knuckles. I had a lot of brake problems until I realized the caliper was hitting the steering arm. I had to grind a little off the caliper and some off the steering arm and knuckle. The grinding was nothing that would compromise strength and it worked perfectly after that. Just my .02.

Will

'72 C10, originally 2WD, 6"Springs f+r, Dana 60 f+r, Lock-Right front, welded rear, 4.56s, 350, SM465, NP205, 39.5" TSLs

4. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

center to center the holes must be rotated .5 inch to relocate the caliper correctly. do both sides, otherwise you have steering limitations as well, with the caliper hitting the yoke.
    good luck.

MTPockets

MAD MAX: http://community.webshots.com/user/mtpockets35